User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Christmas planning and saving ideas?

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    OMG so many of you posted about Black Friday in the US and I can't imagine, to me that sounds like an awful idea:

http://www.huliq.com/1/73764/black-f...orker-trampled

Ughhh, the mentality it creates in shoppers. I've always hated stupid crazy sales, nothing good ever comes of them.
    I remember hearing about that story in the news... very sad and what a way to go

I would agree with you on the Black Friday thing.... there are other initiatives retailers can use to get shoppers in the store spending money and clearing out excess stock without lives being put at risk

Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

Ok so let's brainstorm on CANADIAN ideas....... (altho black friday IS fun)

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Well to be honest, I normally do a lot of baking, set a very low limit for each person's gift (has been 10-15$ for the past few years) and just give them whatever I find for that price range, whether it was a "good" deal or something they would just like. I hate the materialistic consumption that drives christmas, it's ruined too many christmas' for me in the past, so I just don't care about gift giving, I like to spend time with my friends and family, eat good food, drink some beers, have good times.

S J
    Female
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

thanks for the great ideas.
    JOIN ME AND GET FREE GIFT CARDS! CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jainshilpi{earn by daily searches}

http://www.leadprizes.com/members/register.php?ref=sj23{earn by completing P T C offers}

Pm me for help!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Well to be honest, I normally do a lot of baking, set a very low limit for each person's gift (has been 10-15$ for the past few years) and just give them whatever I find for that price range, whether it was a "good" deal or something they would just like. I hate the materialistic consumption that drives christmas, it's ruined too many christmas' for me in the past, so I just don't care about gift giving, I like to spend time with my friends and family, eat good food, drink some beers, have good times.
    Same

A friend of mine has a book called "Unplug the Christmas Machine" and I was leafing through it one day at her house. It's all about how Christmas has become too commercialized and how to bring meaning back to the holiday.

As far as gifts go, I do think they are an important part of the holiday because it's nice to exchange gifts with people you care about and to show a spirit of generosity. That said, the most meaningful gifts are not necessarily the most expensive.... some people are very talented artisans and it means more to me to receive a one-of-a-kind gift that I knew was a result of many hours spent making it, than something expensive and mass-produced off a store shelf.

Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

Thanks! *bump for more ideas*

Trading Score
    176 (99%)

I used to do a lot of scrapbooking. I don't do it anymore, but here is an idea for gifts for Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles etc.

If you're a crafty and artistic person you can pick up scrapbooking supplies in any Dollarama. They have a really good selection. Buy a 8x10 frame, and make a scrapbooking layout with pictures of your kids, and decorate using the scrapbook stuff. Its a really great alternative to just a picture in a frame.

Here is a link for some examples (these were done a LONG time ago). You can also look around the member gallery for other ideas:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/user...w=3&pos=2&pg=1

Something else I made once was the "altered journal" which is shown on the page above as well. Real hit with teenage girls!
    Andrea
    My Blog: http://andreasfitness.blogspot.com

I joined Swagbucks and made $25 in 3 weeks! Its so easy! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rhiannon1891

Trading Score
    176 (99%)

Oh, hey I just thought of something else. Not a way to save money, but a way to make money.

Take a look through your home for anything that has some value that you don't use. Furniture, baby items, outgrown winter coats, china that is unused.

Sell it on kijiji! I did this last year with baby stuff and furniture I didn't need and ended up making $200. Completely paid for all of my kids Christmas gifts!

Its worth doing even if you only have a few things to sell.
    Andrea
    My Blog: http://andreasfitness.blogspot.com

I joined Swagbucks and made $25 in 3 weeks! Its so easy! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rhiannon1891

Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

I am a HUGE Kijiji fan, so this is a great reminder. As for the photo stuff, it's something I was going to do for my sister as well, so thanks for the ideas!

I love this group! You are all so creative!

Trading Score
    187 (100%)

I was thinking of theme based food baskets. Like with the Food Basic Healthy Harvest pasta sale this weekend,(if you have the Healthy Harvest coupons they will be 13 cents each), you could create a Christmas basket with four diff types of pasta in it, maybe add some other unusual condiments, and add one of the recipe booklettes the grocery stores have for free, for pasta. Or print off some nice recipes off the internet. You could also add some colourful oven mitts or tea towels from the dollar store.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Luisa_101 View Post
    I was thinking of theme based food baskets. Like with the Food Basic Healthy Harvest pasta sale this weekend,(if you have the Healthy Harvest coupons they will be 13 cents each), you could create a Christmas basket with four diff types of pasta in it, maybe add some other unusual condiments, and add one of the recipe booklettes the grocery stores have for free, for pasta. Or print off some nice recipes off the internet. You could also add some colourful oven mitts or tea towels from the dollar store.

What a fun idea!! Good thinking.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Here are some great ideas....just keep scrolling down for more...enjoy!

http://rubyglen.com/articles/handmadechristmas.htm

ps...I posted my recipes for Wine Jellies in the Christmas thread in the Tea Room...they make lovely jewel-like gifts...bag them up with a selection of nice crackers, soft cheese and you have an absolutely gorgeous gift for pennies! Particularly nice if you sew organza bags for them....so cute!

There's a shop in our town that makes huge pizza-like cookies, all decorated with M&Ms, nuts, chocolate chips, crushed Scor bars, etc, and they sell for big $. Why not make them up yourself? Even if you have to use a pre-made cookie dough, they would still make a great gift for anyone with a sweet tooth! The crushed Scor bars on top really added a great crunch!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Oct 22nd, 2009 at 07:39 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sew your own Snuggie!

http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingro...thesnuglet.pdf

If you're lucky enough to find odd ends or a sale on fleece at Fabricland, these would make pretty cute gifts!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecountess View Post
    Same

A friend of mine has a book called "Unplug the Christmas Machine" and I was leafing through it one day at her house. It's all about how Christmas has become too commercialized and how to bring meaning back to the holiday.

As far as gifts go, I do think they are an important part of the holiday because it's nice to exchange gifts with people you care about and to show a spirit of generosity. That said, the most meaningful gifts are not necessarily the most expensive.... some people are very talented artisans and it means more to me to receive a one-of-a-kind gift that I knew was a result of many hours spent making it, than something expensive and mass-produced off a store shelf.
    I'm going to have to find that book!

I also knit scarves, haven't yet figured out anything else, but it has been pretty successful so far...

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I'm going to have to find that book!

I also knit scarves, haven't yet figured out anything else, but it has been pretty successful so far...
    You might find it in the library system (most library catalogues are online even)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information