User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I think I've really had it with Maple Leaf foods this time!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've given them the benefit of the doubt...I've trusted that they've improved conditions...but having read this, I sincerely will not ever buy a Maple Leaf product again! And yes....there's the old argument that they're being targeted...that other companies don't endure such scrupulous inspections, but I don't buy it...Maple Leaf is off my grocery list.

Read on...and be afraid...be very afraid....

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...plant_problems
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Robas. likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Even if there were never any issues with food poisoning, etc., this stuff isn't healthy to begin with, doesn't matter who produces it.

Even without the thought of 'mould, slime and meat debris', cold cuts and hot dogs aren't found in my fridge anyhow.

Z

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Oh goodness that is gross!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i read about this this am and i'm getting pretty mad it just seems like everytime i turn aroung they have a problem

Trading Score
    187 (98%)

I haven't bought anything maple leaf since the first recall

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=150767
    *** PLEASE click my referral link ***

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

that is so disgusting, I am NEVER buying Maple Leaf foods again, sorry, but continuous sanitary problems are NOT acceptable..

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I read this earlier - the date of that inspection was Oct. last year - I'm not excusing it, just pointing it out.
    Of course it's all just disgusting. We haven't eating ML products since all the problems.
    But you know, ML has gotten all this press, but we don't know what's going on in other plants.
    I don't know much about meat processing plants, but just in regard to sanitation, etc. regarding food - my husband does building maintenance for a leasing company, and most often things he needs to go fix in restaurants are in the back/kitchen areas. So we know which restaurants to avoid - and in the main, one would be surprised. Some high-end places are the worst offenders!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Natalka brings up a great point. We eat at these restaurants and who knows how they are maintained. Here in the GTA every restaurant, store etc that sells food or beverages has a sign posted on the door stating what it got in its last inspection. But still that sometimes is not an indication of good or bad. Take for instance here in the GTA last month Ruby's Chinese Restaurant, 22 people got Salmonella and 1 man died form dehydration due to Diarrhea form the salmonella. They closed there doors after the incident.
    Here is the story for the curious: http://www.thestar.com/unassigned/ar...es-permanently

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

What's even more frightening, is that MapleLeaf processes for other brands, also! A friend of mine said that if she remembers correctly, they even do some processing for Schneider's!
    I guess the message here is for us to turn into vegetarians, or avoid all packaged meats from any manufacturer. I'll be looking askance at the deli counters from now on...but gosh, it's so convenient! ;-(

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I worked one summer for a food processing plant (they packaged spices & flavourings) when I was in university. I was involved in R&D for new flavours (& also cloning recipes - it was great fun) & I can tell you that area was clean. In the plant, where the spices & various other foods were packaged, it was darn near sterile. If you went back there, you were just about dressed in surgical scrubs (hairnets under hats, booties over shoes, gloves, lab coats).

When I first started dialysis, I had a nurse give me a lecture about the need for cleanliness. The hospital rooms were filthy by comparison to the food plant (layers of dust everywhere!).

Unfortunately, if the inspectors don't come in regularly, no one would ever know what goes on. If you want to see something really scary, chem labs at some universities leave a lot to be desired (& you wouldn't believe what sort of things are dumped down the drains!).

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    What's even more frightening, is that MapleLeaf processes for other brands, also! A friend of mine said that if she remembers correctly, they even do some processing for Schneider's!
    I guess the message here is for us to turn into vegetarians, or avoid all packaged meats from any manufacturer. I'll be looking askance at the deli counters from now on...but gosh, it's so convenient! ;-(
    We just have really limited our buying of processed meats - and prepackaged foods in general really - for cost, as well as health reasons.
    My son would much rather have a chicken or roast pork/beef sandwich from fresh meat which I have cooked (well, so would I!!). What I do is if I make a roast, and if it's big enough, I slice off meat right away for sandwiches, and put it away/freeze it. Same with chicken.
    Of course deli meats are convenient (and some really tasty too!), but I think these days it's just pick and choose as to which company one feels safest with. For us, I know which brands weren't on any of the recall lists about Maple Leaf, or other companies which have had listeria recalls say in the past year - and just don't buy those at all.
    But it's still a crap shoot, lol!

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I stopped buying maple leaf products since the first recall. I do buy some deli meats at Sobeys because it is really convenience. And I only buy Schneider's hot dogs...uh 'cause I like them but if maple leaf processes meats for Schneider then I'll have to limit myself to purchasing Schneider's hot dog to once a year.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    I stopped buying maple leaf products since the first recall. I do buy some deli meats at Sobeys because it is really convenience. And I only buy Schneider's hot dogs...uh 'cause I like them but if maple leaf processes meats for Schneider then I'll have to limit myself to purchasing Schneider's hot dog to once a year.
    Schneider's is also produced by ML...sorry I know there good!
    They also produce some meats for Hickory Farms, Our Compliments, No Name brand, Overlander, Shopsys and there is more.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

That's so gross, I'm glad I don't eat meat!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It doesnt reallly surprise me as scary as that is

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information