User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SDM Optimum Point Program - Optimizing

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Expired
    Updates (in blue font): Since this thread has gotten so long, with lots of great optimizing tips throughout (thanks to mcminsen and all the many other posters) I thought I’d consolidate them all, though I will probably miss a few, so if I do, let me know and I will add them as long -if they are not too “iffy”. Good luck at the Jan 2 20x points event

Thought I’d start a thread on strategies for optimizing SDM optimum points, as I have a few tricks I use and I’m guessing there are many other good ones tricks out there.
    Attributing a discount value to points events (just my personal preferences)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    For 20x events, I allocate the points value (savings) equally between purchases on 20x day purchases and future point redemption purchases. For redemption, I assume I’m redeeming 40,000 (35,000 with Optimum Plus) for $100 of product on a bonus redemption day. If I’m redeeming 75,000 (65,000 with Optimum Plus) for $200 I allocate the extra saving directly to the bonus redemption purchases. I carry around this cheat sheet that allows me to quickly reference the saving and determine if it is a good deal for me or not. Savings are adjusted for taxable product, because you can’t use points to pay for tax and there are no points earned on tax.
    Regular Optimum Point Card holder Cheat Sheet<o:p></o:p>
    20x event or bonus redemption day (40,000 points): 33.33% off Non-taxable Product/29.50% off taxable product
    Bonus Redemption Day (75,000 points): 37.49% off Non-taxable Product/33.18% off taxable product
    Optimum Plus Member Cheat Sheet<o:p></o:p>
    20x event or bonus redemption day (35,000 points): 36.36% off Non-taxable Product/32.18% off taxable product
    Bonus Redemption Day (65,000 points): 40.91% off Non- taxable Product/36.20% off taxable product

Suggestions for attributing value to bonus/coupon points (WARNING: for math geeks and those with blind faith only). <o:p></o:p>
    Regular optimum members
    · 400 bonus points worth $1 off free product on BRD (bonus redemption day).
    · 100 bonus points is worth $0.25 of free product on BRD (bonus redemption day). Since you will be assuming a discount on redemption day assign 8.3 cents of that value to that discount on points redemption and 16.7 cents of that value as a discount on the product you are purchasing and earning the points on.
    Optimum plus members
    · 350 bonus points is worth $1 off free product on BRD (bonus redemption day).
    · 100 bonus points is worth $0.285 of free product on BRD (bonus redemption day). Since you will be assuming a discount on redemption day assign 9.5 cents of that value to that discount on points redemption and 19 cents of that value as a discount on the product you are purchasing and earning the points on.

<o:p></o:p>
    Tips for Achieving Optimum Plus Status<o:p></o:p>
    Coupons & Regular points towards Optimum plus: Use as many coupons as possible, because you still earn regular points on the value of the coupon as well as bonus points on 20x points day, which helps you reach optimum plus without having to actually spend $1,000 in a year.
    Always purchase Milk (competitively priced at $3.97 for 4L) at Shoppers, if it is conveniently located for you. You will be $200 closer to optimum plus status, even if you only use one 4L bag a week. Eggs and butter are frequently priced competitively too. While most other product is regularly priced 10 to 30% higher at SDM than anywhere else, don’t just assume it is. Do some price comparisions on product you regularly purchase. I.e. in my area Dole pineapple slices are $1.27 at RCSS, $0.87 at Walmart and $0.99 at SDM.
    · Purchase an SDM gift card and use the card for your purchases. You will receive regular points on both the GC and the purchases made with the gift card, getting you to + status for spending only $500 (less value of coupons used) instead of $1000.
    · Use coupons/MIRs – regular points earned on coupons count towards Plus status.
    · If you are sure you are going to achieve plus status this year, save your points till then and calculate value as if you are a plus member.
    · Use gift cards to purchase stamps, prescription and other items you don’t normally earn any points on, to get at least one set of regular points.
    Collecting Points<o:p></o:p>

· Participate in “Tell A Friend Events” on SC and/or get hubby a card and use that to participate.
    · Shoppers Optimum Mastercard gets you 25 points per $1 spent (+ bonus points) at SDM instead of 10, plus 5 pts for every $1 spent at other locations.
    · Look for product you need that have bonus points – you can earn them on top of 20x points event or when redeeming points
    · Shop for other people
    · Coupons: At 20 times points events, you will also earn 20x points on the value of the coupon if the cashier uses coupon code 2001, if they use code 2002 you will not earn points. Based on comments from posters it looks like they use code 2002 on FPCs, and code 2001 on other coupons, but this may not always be true. I’ve alway’s earned 20 points on regular coupons.

Things to be wary of<o:p></o:p>
    · Amex gift cards – most who purchased these regretted it, even with the additional points they got.<o:p></o:p>

This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart, Microsoft, Pharmaprix, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Walmart
    Last edited by Bumper; Mon, Dec 28th, 2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Consolidated Tips

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you earn regular points off the coupon? I just looked at my receipt when I used a coupon and it didnt give me any points for it, it only gave me a points for how much I spent after coupons.

***nvm.. I guess they do..my receipts don't really clearly indicate since it was only the once purchase and it was only a dollar coupon off...so points were the same either way... but I will take your word on it... ! thanks!
    Last edited by sampler; Sun, Nov 29th, 2009 at 12:43 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

This is a good thread thanks for starting this, I don't have any tips but look forward to reading others

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

good one!!! thanks for taking time out to share this with everyone I'm going to start doing this soon!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

This is sooo useful, I'll save one in my purse. Thank you so much

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

I like how you've taken into account the taxes that may have to be paid on some stuff that you get for redeeming. A lot of people forget to take that into account when trying to weigh the value of Optimum points.

As long as SDM gives regular points for buying a SDM gift card, it doesn't make sense to pay for anything at SDM with anything other than a SDM gift card. Get twice the regular points for dollars spent using the "SDM Gift Card trick". Especially valuable for getting up to "Plus" status.

Even in provinces where you can't get points on prescriptions, it's a way of getting at least one set of regular points. It's my understanding that you can pay for anything at SDM with a SDM gift card. So if you can buy your transit tickets and passes at your SDM, pay with a SDM gift card. Some people even buy other retailer gift cards with their SDM gift cards. That's had some mixed reports of success lately. My attitude is that you can just assume it's allowed and if they refuse then fine.

Also, don't forget to buy your SDM gift cards with your Shoppers Optimum Mastercard. Anything charged to that card at SDM will get you 25 points per dollar. 10 show up immediately on your receipt and 15 later with your monthly statement.

As we go into the new year, I would strongly urge people (Plus members and non-Plus members) to make sure you get those extra regular points all the time throughout the year so that you're not scrambling at the end of the year to meet the deadline to get your Plus status that will be good until the end of the next year.

Just off hand, I find the 20Xpoints events to be one of the best points collecting events. The only other one that is better is the "Tell a Friend Event" where you can get points at almost twice the rate as the 20X event.

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Great idea Bumper. I find Shoppers is the best place for Ontarians anyway to save. I'm a bit confused tho on the way things are calculated tho. I'd love some insight as too whether I'm calculating this wrong

For reg member if I calculate based on 75,000 non-taxable, I get $200/75k=$2.67 value. If shopping at a 20x $10 in milk would be $10x10 base =100 $10 x 10 x 20=2000 for a total value of 2.1kx$2.67=56.07% non taxable

Optimum based on 65,000 (great idea to simply versus 10,000 add in thanks!)
    on same premise: $200/65=$3.08 (rounded) on the same bag of milk it would be 2.1k x$3.08=64.68% non-taxable

The amounts I get come out at 20-25% more than your calculation Bumper. Can you clarify how you calculated your numbers?

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Forgot an important queston to ask. I'm short $331 for Optimum Plus qualification for next year. Do I lose the opportunity if I dont' spend $331 in base points (including coupons) before the end of the year? OR Does it just mean that I wouldn't have the Status of an Optimum Plus member until I have spent that amount into 2010?
    Thanks in advance for the guidance

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Try and remember to use bonus points coupons if they are on products that you are buying, eg makeup products often have bonus point coupons that you can print out and get extra points on them.

Shop during the 20x bonus events as well, although I generally don't because I shop at sdm once in a while so I can't be bothered to stay on top of these things.

Definitely take part in the refer a friend event that SDM has on throughout the year, normally 2-3 times I think, there is one hosted on this forum that you can take part in, easy way to rack up points a bit.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kashren View Post
    Forgot an important queston to ask. I'm short $331 for Optimum Plus qualification for next year. Do I lose the opportunity if I dont' spend $331 in base points (including coupons) before the end of the year? OR Does it just mean that I wouldn't have the Status of an Optimum Plus member until I have spent that amount into 2010?
    Thanks in advance for the guidance
    You go back to the starting line on January 1st. :-(

It's actually how many regular points you get in a calendar year. You need 10,000 regular points to get Plus status. Remember, you can get REGULAR points for purchasing a SDM gift card and then REGULAR points again for spending the SDM gift card. Bonus points do not count towards your Plus status.

I don't know how many regular points short you are from Plus status based on what you've said. If you are 3310 regular points short of Plus status then you can achieve Plus status immediately by just buying $331 worth of SDM gift cards. Or... buy $166 worth of SDM gift cards and spend them before the end of the year. Got it?
    Last edited by mcminsen; Sun, Nov 29th, 2009 at 05:09 AM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Ya I am like 2000 optimum regular points off from being a plus member too, and frankly I really don't care. I am not going to have enough in this calendar year to qualify.

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
    You go back to the starting line on January 1st. :-(

It's actually how many regular points you get in a calendar year. Remember, you can get REGULAR points for purchasing a SDM gift card and then REGULAR points again for spending the SDM gift card. Bonus points do not count towards your Plus status.

I don't know how many regular points short you are from Plus status based on what you've said. If you are 3310 regular points short of Plus status then you can achieve Plus status immediately by just buying $331 worth of SDM gift cards. Or... buy $166 worth of SDM gift cards and spend them before the end of the year. Got it?
    Wow I'm soooo glad I asked! I got my hubby a card this year so we cud double up on some bp offers. It seemed good at the time but apparently not. I was hoping the Amex card promo might count as base points too because the 5k bonus but I think I'll buy and spend sounds much better.

Can't thank you enough for your advice

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

gr8 post...the math would be totally different for province like BC, NL where no points on prescription drugs and 75/170$ bonus redemption. Can you give an optimizaton for that?
    Tech Mojo: SoftConnect

Trading Score
    16 (94%)

to be honest, i never got a card because of this confusion.....lol. there are some things i am great at, but getting the ins and outs of this card looks like swahili to me!

heres to hoping i get the hang of it someday...lol
    if at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you...

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

If you only Shop on promo days i.e. 20x and use coupons, the benefits are great. I usually max at 3 redemptions a year i.e. $600 worth of freebies.
    Next year, I'm going to target more.
    The trick for me as with others in with everyday things like milk, bread, pop, cleaners.

Happy shopping!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information