User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: STD testing

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Those gardasil commercials have got me thinking these last couple of days. You know where the girls say she'd been with the same guy for 3 years, so she can't have std. I think the other one says she uses a condom. And then there's one that says she would know if she has std.

My question is where do you go to get tested? I've been with dh for 6 years and we never thought once to get tested. Do you just go to your family doc or is there a special clinic for this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    terry2144 likes this.

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

i think you just ask you general dr. or gyno(you could go to the ER if you had to some of these diseases cant become complicated if left untreated) so i cant stress any more GET YOURSELF CHECKED!!!!!!!!! most of the STD's going around now a days are very easily treatable if caught in time, if you think something is wrong GET CHECKED OUT!!!! if there is a health unit in your area check with them also, the one in my area had a gyno come out every couple weeks for checks. Its not just who YOU have slept with... you need to make sure your partner is clean from any of his past experiences also.... and lastly, the most common stds (chlamydia,gonorrhea) can be contracts just from penil/vaginal contact(no penitration) (sorry if its TMI but it needs to be known) ALWAYS use protection if your not sure..........
    terry2144 likes this.
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I think HPV at least the bad ones show up in paps right, hmmn my dr checks for all that stuff everytime i have a pap its just a few extra swipes with a q tip and she just does that for everyone, married or not. I bet you you have been checked and the dr just didn`t tell you, call and ask
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    118 (100%)

Just regular doctor should be fine... they will send you off with a paper at a clinic that does that stuff (at least here)... varies for what is being tested. Swab, urine...

Always a good idea to get tested.
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Here in my prov (NB), if your pregnant they test for everything! from stds to suger levels, blood type. . + pap tests as well

which is good!
    Last edited by Meg1112; Tue, Feb 9th, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    118 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1112 View Post
    Here in my prov (NB), if your pregnant they test for everything! from stds to suger levels, blood type. . + pap tests as well

which is good!
    Here in Alberta too... but not everything. Clamydia or whatever wasn't included. HIV was, HPV was.... I forget what else, lol.
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I went to a sexual health clinic, took swabs from the pap and did blood work (two vials! eew!) I did that about 3 years ago, should probably get tested again, I'll probably just ask my dr about it next time I see her, I'm sure the tests could be done through a family dr. Good luck!
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

haha. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw STD testing in the forums. My first thought was what kind of coupon could this be ?
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

My dr also tested me for most STD"s when I was pregnant... but I usually get tested with my regular PAP tests, just as a precaution. I've been with DH for almost 8 years now, and if I ever found out I had anything...the "Fit would hit the Shan" lol
    terry2144 likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

I am sure your doctor can direct you to who you need to see, if he/she doesn't do it.
    terry2144 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Most family drs do testing. If they are uncomfortable they should refer you. Don't let them talk you out of it---it's always a good idea if you ever had sex you can have an infection and no testing is perfect
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

HVP gets tested each pap, and most of the others get tested during pregnancy in Canada.
    I think the whole point of the commercial is that some STD take a really long time to show up. I have a friend of a friend who got herpes and she freaked on the last guy she had been with but her doctor told her that she could have been carrying the virus on her skin for up tp 15 year and extreme stree finally caused a breakout.
    terry2144 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

if you have a kid, they've already tested you, it's the first thing they do when you tell your dr you're preggers.

in the states ppl might go to clinics, but here i would assume if you wanted to get tested for the sake of getting tested, you would just go to your dr.

good q. tho, i don't think ppl think about it much (or want to really know the answers)
    terry2144 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you are unsure, then go back and have them do it for you,for your own peace of mind but i think that it is un necessary as you would have most likely done it fine yourself.

Thanks...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SDM Optimum Queen Wannabe julie.leeds's Avatar
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

with my youngest I was even tested for HIV, My doctor said if there was even a slight chance I could have it I should be tested simply because a) it would remove ANY doubt and b) there are so many advances being made in the field of in-utero treatment to prevent children being born with HIV. I thought it would be highly unlikely that I could have HIV, but I couldn't say that I had been 100% careful 100% of the time...so I took the test. I had to sign all kinds of consent forms for privacy etc and the results were negative.

Even though I didn't think it was possible...it was kinda stressful waiting for the results because I am sure most people who end up with HIV also think that it wouldn't be possible for them to have it either.

on a side note, I was married, and had been married 7 or 8 years when she suggested testing.
    Last edited by julie.leeds; Thu, Feb 18th, 2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: more info
    terry2144 likes this.

Follow the elephant...
    http://thestthomasblog.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information