User Tag List

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

ok so i paid for my child to be enrolled in skating LAST YEAR 2009 but she actually started the program january 12th 2010. does anybody know if i should add the amount paid this year or should i wait until next years return?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kris10 View Post
    ok so i paid for my child to be enrolled in skating LAST YEAR 2009 but she actually started the program january 12th 2010. does anybody know if i should add the amount paid this year or should i wait until next years return?
    As you paid for it last year, i would imagine you would add it to your 2009 tax return, but don't go by what i say. I didn't know there was a child fitness credit til i did my tax return tonight.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

i just did my taxes..you submit it for 2009's tax return as your receipt reads paid in 2009. It doesn't matter if they started in 2010.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well I would claim it on this tax return as you paid for it in 2009.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

<!-- FIP HEADER ENDS | FIN DE L'EN-TETE PCIM --><!-- <noindex> --><!-- INSTITUTIONAL BANNER STARTS | DEBUT DE LA BANNIERE INSTITUTIONNELLE --> Canada Revenue Agency
    www.cra.gc.ca

<!-- INSTITUTIONAL BANNER ENDS | FIN DE LA BANNIERE INSTITUTIONNELLE --><!-- SKIP NAVIGATION BEGINS | DEBUT DU SAUT DE NAVIGATION -->Skip to content | Skip to institutional links
    <!-- SKIP NAVIGATION ENDS | FIN DU SAUT DE NAVIGATION --><!-- COMMON MENU BAR BEGINS | DEBUT DE LA BARRE DE MENU COMMUNE --><!-- COMMON MENU BAR TITLE BEGINS | DEBUT DU TITRE DE LA BARRE DE MENU COMMUNE -->Common menu bar links

<!-- COMMON MENU BAR TITLE ENDS | FIN DU TITRE DE LA BARRE DE MENU COMMUNE -->

<!-- COMMON MENU BAR ENDS | FIN DE LA BARRE DE MENU COMMUNE --><!-- HEADER ENDS | FIN DE L'EN-TETE --><!-- BREAD CRUMB BEGINS | DEBUT DE LA PISTE DE NAVIGATION --><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Breadcrumb" -->Individuals > Tax return > Deductions > Children's fitness amount
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable --><!-- BREAD CRUMB ENDS | FIN DE LA PISTE DE NAVIGATION --><!-- TWO COLUMN LAYOUT BEGINS | DEBUT DE LA MISE EN PAGE DE DEUX COLONNES --><!-- LEFT SIDE MENU BEGINS | DEBUT DU MENU LATERAL GAUCHE --><!-- SIDE MENU TITLE BEGINS | DEBUT DU TITRE DU MENU LATERAL -->Institutional links

<!-- SIDE MENU TITLE ENDS | FIN DU TITRE DU MENU LATERAL --><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Side Menu" -->
    • Go to
    • Information for
    • Search CRA

<FORM class=search id=mfrm2 action=http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/cjcm/srch/bscSrch method=get><INPUT type=hidden value=en name=lang><INPUT class=width95 id=bscSrch maxLength=100 name=bscSrch> <INPUT type=submit value=Search name=Submit>
      </FORM>
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
    <!-- LEFT SIDE MENU ENDS | FIN DU MENU LATERAL GAUCHE --><!-- </noindex> --><!-- CONTENT BEGINS | DEBUT DU CONTENU --><!-- CONTENT TITLE BEGINS | DEBUT DU TITRE DU CONTENU --><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Main content title" -->Eligibility <!-- InstanceEndEditable --><!-- CONTENT TITLE ENDS | FIN DU TITRE DU CONTENU -->

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Main content" -->The child must have been under 16 years of age or under 18 years of age if eligible for the disability amount, at the beginning of the year in which an eligible fitness expense was paid.
    Children with disabilities - If the child qualifies for the disability amount and is under 18 years of age at the beginning of the year, an additional amount of $500 can be claimed provided that a minimum of $100 is paid on registration or membership fees for a prescribed program of physical activity.
    Note
    You may have paid an amount that would qualify to be claimed as child care expenses and the children’s fitness amount. If this is the case, you must first claim this amount as child care expenses. Any unused part can be claimed for the children’s fitness amount as long as the requirements are met.
    Example
    Mary registered her daughter Julie (9 years old) in a prescribed program of physical activity and paid fees of $750 on August 30, 2009. The program started on September 15, 2009, and ended on April 21, 2010.
    Mary’s husband registered their son Eric (17 years old and eligible for the disability tax credit) in a prescribed program of physical activity and paid fees of $400 on December 20, 2009. The program started on January 6, 2010, and ended on April 28, 2010. He also registered their daughter Samantha (10 years old) in a prescribed program of physical activity and paid fees of $600 on January 2, 2010. The program started on January 6 and ended on April 28, 2010.
    On her 2009 income tax return, Mary can claim a total amount of $1,400 (if her husband is not claiming any amount) based on the following formula:
    • Julie $500 (maximum allowable expenses per child)
    • Eric $400 (paid fees) plus $500 (since he is eligible for the disability tax credit and at least $100 was paid for eligible fitness expenses for him)
    • She can not claim an amount for Samantha because the fees were paid in 2010.

Forms and publications