User Tag List

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree878Likes

Thread: Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum FAQ and Q&A

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

What is Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum?
    It's a loyalty program by Shopper Drug Mart. Currently you earn 10pts for ever dollar, rounded DOWN to the nearest dollar. There are many ways to optimize and earn more but the base point amount is 10pts/$.

What is Plus status?
    Basically, it's a perk for people who earn 15,000 base points in a calendar year. This is excluding bonus points earned from promotions. It appears that although Plus status is still listed in their terms and conditions, they are no longer actively doing anything with it.

What's the big deal with plus status?
    With plus status you get invited to special offers. You used to get bonus points back when you redeemed, but effective July 1 2010, you no longer get that.

How can I optimize my points?
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/113369-...mizing-canada/

What are bonus point coupons? Where do I find them?
    They are coupons that SDM issues where you get a certain number of points for buying a product. And yes you get them when you are redeeming! You get them in emails, on the website, through mail outs, in Glow magazine or here....
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/127519-...-often-canada/

What is a 20x point event?
    Several time throughout the year Shoppers offers optimum member 20x the points on their purchase when you spend a certain amount (currently $50). Therefore, instead of earning 500 points on a $50 purchase, you'd earn 10,000. It's an amazing deal and definately worth your while. These are good events to purchase big ticket items as well, or fragrances/cosmetics that rarely go on sale. Be sure to check your emails, as sometimes these events are through coupons emailed to customers.

Can I use coupons during a 20x points event?
    YES! Currently (and as with anything it's subject to change) you earn points on $ off coupons (not coupons for free products). Therefore, you can maximize your points during a 20x points event by spending $50 BEFORE coupons. For example, you spend $50 but have $20 worth of coupons (excluding free product coupons). Your out of pocket would be $30 (and the tax of course) but you'd still earn your 20x points. Cashiers will tell you that you won't earn them, but you will. They have no control over the computer. Plus it also states in the coupon policy that you will!

Will I get 20x if I buy a Gift Card?
    No. Like everything in life, there are exclusions. You don't get bonus points on GC unless it's a SPECIFIC GC event.

Will I get 20x on bonus points too?
    No. You get 20x the points on your BASE points only. So if a product has 500 bonus points on it, you do not get 20x the 500 bonus points.

What is a bonus redemption day?
    Several times a year Shoppers optimum runs a promotion where you get more money off for your redemption. If you redeem 50,000pts you get $100 off (instead of $85) and if you redeem 95,000pts you get $200 off (instead of $170). Some times these events are for the entire store (with exceptions) and sometimes they are for cosmetics and fragrances only. Once so far, they've been mega redemptions which got you even more. No idea if they'll do it again though. These are also great times to use any mail in rebates that you have. As with everything in life, it is subject to change.

Can you redeem for gift cards?
    No. Shoppers or otherwise.

What is refer a friend?
    A couple of times a year they run a promotion where if you refer a friend (they must sign up under your name using the e-vite you send them through the program) you get bonus points. You and your friend must shop during the specified days and spend a certain amount. The last event you earned 8,000pts per friend. This is by far the most effective way of earning points, especially if you get a few friends together. Restrictions, ect.... are posted with the event. It's been a long time since they've run this promotion though.

What is a Spend $X get Y points event? What about coupons in these events?
    These events when you spend the minimum amount you get a set # of bonus points. If you go over the minimum threshold, you still only get the same # of points. You can most definately use coupons during these events. Regular cents off coupons will reduce your out of pocket (OOP) but still get you the points. So if it is spend $75 and get 18,500pts, you can use $20 (or whatever amount) and only pay $55 but get the bonus points. Bonus point coupons on particular products can also be used during these events. Same thing applies to these events as the 20x. It's listed in their coupon policy.

What is code 2001 and 2002?
    These are the "codes" that the cashier enters to tell the computer what kind of coupon is being used. 2001 is supposed to be used for regular $ off coupons. You earn points on these coupons, but pay taxes on the amount too. 2002 is for free product coupons (try me free type coupons). You do not earn points on these coupons but you also do not pay taxes. There are other codes such as 2003 but they are rarely used.

My points were not added when Shoppers said they would. Who do I call?
    1-800-SHOPPER

Do I earn points on gift cards?
    You earn points on Shopper's gift cards but not on the other gift cards they sell. Occasionnally they have promos for bonus points when you buy some of the other types.

Do you pay taxes on redemptions?
    Taxes are payable on the total before redemption. So if you are redeeming for $170, you have to pay taxes on the full $170.

Do I earn regular points on redemptions?
    Nope. You earn points on the portion you pay (aside from the taxes). So if you have $90 worth of stuff and are redeeming for $85 you will earn points on the $5 you are out of pocket. Certain bonus promotions will work with redemptions (ie buy X product get Y points) but not all the promotions work that way.

Can I use coupons with a redemption?
    You bet! Go ahead and maximize your redemption with coupons!!

I want to redeem for $170 but only have $125 worth of stuff in my cart. Can I get the rest on a GC?
    No. You forfeit any difference. So if you want to redeem for $170 anything under $170 is forfeited. Alternatively, you can redeem for a lower level (ie $85 off instead of $175) even if you have enough points for the higher level. So if you only want to spend $85 but have enough for the $175 redemption, you can simply redeem for the $85 level, but you have to inform the cashier.

Do my points expire every year?
    No, points are carried over. However, points expire after 12 mths of inactivity.

How many redemptions can I make?
    According to section 25 of the terms and conditions you can make 2 redemptions at any level per day but only 1 redemption per transaction. It is up to management if they would allow you to redeem more than twice in a day.

I have enough for 2 redemptions. Can I do both in 1 transaction to get a big item for free?
    See above question.

Is the Gift Card promo WUS before coupons or after?
    If you ask SDM they will tell you that ALL offers and promos are before coupons. However, promos that are bonus points (ie 20x the points or bonus points for spending a certain amount) are automatic. The cashier does not control them. In this case, you will receive the points. However, promos that require the cashier to do something (ie give you an item or give you a GC) are usually after coupons. Usually, because the majority of cashiers will refuse to give you the GC if your total falls below the threshold after entering your coupons. The coupon policy states that it is after coupons, but most people still have problems with this. Keep a copy of the policy handy.

What is Shopper's coupon policy?
    http://files.shoppersdrugmart.ca/cou...guidelines.pdf

More to come.....
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix
    Last edited by Insane; Mon, Jan 21st, 2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: added more
    McSkier, BC Gal, nessa23 and 3 others like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

It seems to me a lot of the same questions get asked over and over again. Hopefully this will help.
    Mia001 and McSkier like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    237 (100%)

Great idea!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for putting this together. Is this the optimizing thread that you wanted:

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by awongtse View Post
    Thanks for putting this together. Is this the optimizing thread that you wanted:
    Perfect! Thanks!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks, Insane!

Silk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    134 (100%)

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this - it definitely does seem that the same questions get asked over and over and this covers all of them!
    jax

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

Ok I have been wondering.. I want to get one of these cards but I don't have an SDM in my town which is no big deal we travel lots in the summer.. But are the points carried over from year to year or do I loose them each year???

Thanks in advance..

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gasjoc View Post
    Ok I have been wondering.. I want to get one of these cards but I don't have an SDM in my town which is no big deal we travel lots in the summer.. But are the points carried over from year to year or do I loose them each year???

Thanks in advance..
    Points are carried over but plus status is not.
    Good question, gonna add it to the list!

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

Thanks insane.. It does make it worth my wild then..LOL

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

great post!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Awesome thread, thanks Insane!!!

Senior Canuck Goddess in this Household's Avatar
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Great post - thank you!

One question though - If I buy a $50 Shoppers Gift Card during a 20x points event, would I still earn the 10,000 points?

Thanks in advance.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Unfortunately you don't get 20x the points. But you do get the regular point rate. When you use it to pay for your purchase, you gain the 20x on the products you bought. We did this last Saturday. I shopped, my husband bought the gift cards to pay, then I went through and used them to pay for the purchase. It really adds up!
    BC Gal likes this.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess in this Household View Post
    Great post - thank you!

One question though - If I buy a $50 Shoppers Gift Card during a 20x points event, would I still earn the 10,000 points?

Thanks in advance.
    Nope, sorry. "Electronic gift cards" are excluded as an eligible purchase. That's often the thing that pops into a lot of people's minds but I think we'd bankrupt them if we could do that!

But definitely buy the SDM gift card and then use it to pay for your 20Xpoints event purchases. You'd get two sets of regular (or base) points which is particularly valuable to get you to PLUS status, which now requires 15,000 regular/base points to be accumulated in one calendar year.
    Momof3girlies likes this.

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information