User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

An Alberta family is going a year without buying anything new except groceries and personal hygiene products. Here's the story:

http://www.thestar.com/specialsectio...thing-new?bn=1

Here's the matriarch's blog detailing the experience:

http://nothingnewnothingwasted.blogspot.com/

Would any of you be able to do a challenge like this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No to the thread question, couldn't go a year without buying 'anything' - because we would need fresh groceries, tp, necessities for example. Other than those, we could do it.
    So to the second question, the answer for us would be definitely yes, we could do it not buying anything NEW except for those exceptions mentioned - would not even be a hardship; without us even realizing it, we've done this in the past when we've gone through hard times.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

We are experiencing this right now, so yes, we can go a year without buying anything except groceries and personal hygeine items. We have had several things given to us (a full wardrobe for our daughter - 5 months), but we have not bought anything in the last 7 months or so.

I'm even doing free birthdays and Christmas this year.
    SwagBucks.com - the premiere digital dollar. Earn SwagBucks to redeem for great prizes. Amazon.ca are available here!

LeadPrizes.com - I have redeemed for $6 into my PayPal account in just under two weeks. You can too with this awesome PTC site!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

No because the kids will need school supplies and new uniforms but other than that I wouldn't be intrested in trying really.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I hardly ever buy anything for myself as I can't find full time work and am paying student loans on a minimum wage part time job. So that wouldn't really be a challenge for me as I've basically been doing it for the past two years anyway.

If I do buy anything, it's usually off kijiji or ebay.
    Last edited by papillon; Tue, Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added info
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Nope because you only live once why not enjoy it.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I don't think we could. The kids need sports equipment to play, the occasional disney movie, clothes, cats need food, ect... I can't say I buy lots other then groceries but buying used is hard here (although I have a secret desire to go savenging at the dump-apparently it's awesome)
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

We could. As long as it was ok to buy things like personal items like stayfree, pit stick, etc and food.

All they are doing is not buying anything NEW. They still shop at thrift stores and the like "The family has been shopping on websites such as Kijiji and eBay, and at second-hand stores, with plans to hit garage sales once the weather warms up. " so really I don't think it's that hard. It's not like they can never buy ANYTHING for a year.

I think alot of people just spend for the sake of spending or out of sheer habit. We live in such a disposable society and I think alot of people would benifit form a test like this. Alot of people have the "I want it right now" mentality and that's why alot are in debt to their eyeballs. I have some friends that when they first got married they HAD to have the newest, biggest, best of everything right off the bat. Jeez, not like working for it and saving for it first.

That's just my opinion

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I would like to try to limit the things i buy, the non-necessities, but I do like enjoy buying new things, just in moderation! And thrift store and garage sales are awesome shopping times, so kudos to them!

in the Ghetto of Richmond...apparently :rolleyes:
    Trading Score
    111 (100%)

wow that's great for this family, but I don't think I could do it. DH and I love going out for dinner a couple times a month, my kids are at the age where they grow out of clothes every 3-6 months, I'm sure a new car seat will have to be purchased in the next 6 months as well. Plus in the summer I find it impossible not to spend money....damn those ice cream stands .
    I think this woman is teaching her kids a great lesson here btw and maybe one day when I'm a little older and wiser we'll try it out....maybe.
    :pottytrain2: :pottytrain2: :pottytrain2:

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

well...I haven't bought anything besides groceries in the past 5months...most of my money has gone towards bills and transit fares...
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    wow that's great for this family, but I don't think I could do it. DH and I love going out for dinner a couple times a month, my kids are at the age where they grow out of clothes every 3-6 months, I'm sure a new car seat will have to be purchased in the next 6 months as well. Plus in the summer I find it impossible not to spend money....damn those ice cream stands .
    I think this woman is teaching her kids a great lesson here btw and maybe one day when I'm a little older and wiser we'll try it out....maybe.
    Oh ice cream! Can't spend money on that! Whoo for lactose intolerance!

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

To answer the question I don't go overboard but I do enjoy getting things for the kids and kittys ect. I also know that I have put my foot down on buying alot of cards on holiday I spent 40.00 just on cards for family members That being said also a huge thing is having paypal for ebay have no paypal so makes it hard, kijiji also hard don't drive so all these things need to be thought about. I could do it alot easier with having assests like they do. I think each person situation is different same as people assuming it is great to walk well going to garage sales if you havn't walked then please understand it is very hard. Also would be very curious in there house do they have a pool, do they have a backyard, all those little things that some may not have and of course would amuse the children alot more.
    Last edited by poohrules; Tue, Mar 23rd, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

SDM Optimum Queen Wannabe julie.leeds's Avatar
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Not a chance, I don't think I could go a week!

Follow the elephant...
    http://thestthomasblog.com

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Buying stuff makes me happy even if its a lipgloss LOL so NO I would go insane!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information