User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tired of Windows...?

Try a new operating system for your computer.

Request a disk to be shipped to you.

http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/request_disk.php
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the last thing we need to do is waste these good people's resources with a bunch of requests from people who have no idea wtf linux is.

seriously, all of this is available for free download via torrent. why not direct people to the download page instead of the "order a free disc" page.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I think its nice you posted this, thank you very much.
    i wont be using it, but i am sure someone will
    thanks again!

Please take a second to follow my brand new blog:
    Belinda's Babblings

I've been away for quite some time so I apologize if I repost a contest by accident! Feel free to message me and let me know if I've done this and I'll delete it : )

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

linux is AWESOME!!!.. i recommend it to anyone tired of windows crashing,viruses. it is totally different from windows.. so it takes some getting used to it.. but once you figure it out......... windows SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 thanks for posting.. and ignore the ignorant comment.. some people are just plain miserable....... but seriously... linux rocks.. you can try it without actually installing it(or getting rid of windowS) as you can try it right off the disk....!!!
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Request Form Temporarily Suspended

Due to overwhelming demand, the Free Linux Disks project has temporarily stopped
    accepting new requests for Free Linux Disks.

We hope to start taking in new requests in the near future. We have started a
    fundraiser to purchase equipment to enable us to produce disks faster.

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

try this link perhaps?

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nonlinear View Post
    the last thing we need to do is waste these good people's resources with a bunch of requests from people who have no idea wtf linux is.

seriously, all of this is available for free download via torrent. why not direct people to the download page instead of the "order a free disc" page.

If someone doesn't know what Linux or Ubuntu is. then I can't see why they would bother requesting the disk.

Also, some people do not even know how to download/open torrents.

Lastly, this saves people from eating up their bandwidth while downloading.

Your statement actually applies to all the freebies on this site...if you're not going to use it or don't know what it is then do not request it!

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Clearly.Confused View Post
    If someone doesn't know what Linux or Ubuntu is. then I can't see why they would bother requesting the disk.

Your statement actually applies to all the freebies on this site...if you're not going to use it or don't know what it is then do not request it!

I dont know anything about torrents. I have only heard of that word before lol!!!!! so THANK YOU!

Belinda's Babblings

I've been away for quite some time so I apologize if I repost a contest by accident! Feel free to message me and let me know if I've done this and I'll delete it : )

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i doubt anyone who doesn't know what a torrent is will know what linux is.

many people on here order free stuff just to get free stuff - whether they use it or not. the open/free software community is fighting an uphill battle against the proprietary, corporate giants that control intellectual property and stifle innovation. the product is already free for download - all i'm saying is to direct people to the download, instead of to the free disk shipment, because it's a HUGE waste of money. i don't see how any rational person could defend what you're doing.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

many people on here order free stuff just to get free stuff - whether they use it or not. the open/free software community is fighting an uphill battle against the proprietary, corporate giants that control intellectual property and stifle innovation. the product is already free for download - all i'm saying is to direct people to the download, instead of to the free disk shipment, because it's a HUGE waste of money. i don't see how any rational person could defend what you're doing.
    This is a ridiculous argument. If this company has made this option available out of their own expenses, that is to be determined by them if it is a huge waste of money. If it were a financial issue for the company, I'm sure they too would direct people to only download the software from their website.
    I believe this relates to several other companies as well...such as ... record companies. Of course you could purchase your albums online, but yet the record companies still have given their customers the option of purchasing the hard copies in store, through mail etc.
    Wouldn't you then consider that a HUGE waste of money considering the production the companies have to go through to manufacture these disks...?
    We could also purchase our new Windows 7 for download...or we could just go right into Future Shop and grab the hard copy. I guess we should feel guilty doing the latter?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is a ridiculous argument. If this company has made this option available out of their own expenses, that is to be determined by them if it is a huge waste of money. If it were a financial issue for the company, I'm sure they too would direct people to only download the software from their website.
    I believe this relates to several other companies as well...such as ... record companies. Of course you could purchase your albums online, but yet the record companies still have given their customers the option of purchasing the hard copies in store, through mail etc.
    Wouldn't you then consider that a HUGE waste of money considering the production the companies have to go through to manufacture these disks...?
    We could also purchase our new Windows 7 for download...or we could just go right into Future Shop and grab the hard copy. I guess we should feel guilty doing the latter?
    now you are equating the free/open community with record labels and microsoft. clearly, you know nothing about the linux community. whatever, order buttloads of CDs, folks! just use 'em as coasters if you don't know what to do with them.

EDIT: AND, these are not "companies," either. just furthers my point. argh.
    Last edited by nonlinear; Tue, Apr 13th, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I understand that you are not interested in this freebie, but perhaps instead of being frustrated and a little bit cranky, perhaps you can be thankful? Im not trying to be jerky, but when you respond like this to someone who is posting for other members (not just you), it may lead the person to stop posting all together. And thats not what we want at Smartcanucks. Also, if you are uninterested in the freebie, there is really no need to post at all in the thread. And another thing, if you feel the d/l is a better option, perhaps posting it as a freebie would be a more productive way of getting your message across? Me, i certainly dont know much about these d/l's, so maybe even in a post you could explain it. Not only would you be helping us members out, but youd also be promoting the d/l instead of the disc As someone wise once told me, "there are never problems, only solutions!"

Belinda's Babblings

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

...did i mention that i love linux??????????? LOL!

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

No more debate please, this is not what the freebie forum is for.

If someone is open to trying Linux, they can request it. If they are smart, they will do their research to find out exactly what it is before using Linux or any free product, really. It is always buyer/freebier beware market. Thank you for posting.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I was not debating.

Belinda's Babblings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information