User Tag List

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Everything GLUTEN FREE foods thread!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Wondering how you're doing, Super Mel?

Quickie reply/comment to your post. I thought I had replied to it before - think I started to and never finished. Anyway... I buy my tapioca starch/flour (same thing) at a Asian grocery store and pay about $1.20 for 400g. I use it mostly to make the tortillas I mentioned in another post in this thread (with url) which i use as a bread substitute, pasta substitute (cannelloni), for individual pizzas, etc. You don't need a tortilla press for those.

When I first discovered I was gluten-sensitive (not celiac) I bought all kinds of flours to make a GF blend. But it's been a pain having all those bags around and I've been mostly using Bob's Red Mill GF all-purpose flour. In the future I won't buy any more of those GF flours to make a blend.

Here's a site you might find helpful: http://www.celiac.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Super Mel View Post
    28 pages... Great read with a pot of tea on a Saturday morning! I was diagnosed with Celiac last week and am finding the world a bit overwhelming right now...

I am wondering if there is a thread, or if anyone can tell me some "Stock up prices" for Gluten free items? For example, looking thru my flyers this week Barilla Gluten Free Pasta is 3/5$ (340g), breaking it down to 204g for 1$. (WAY more expensive then the 900g I usually get of regular pasta for 1$!). Last week I bought 1kg of TruRoots Ancient Grains GF Pasta that was on sale at Costco for 7.99, making it 125g for 1$... Does that mean the Barilla is a Super Good deal and I should be buying several boxes to stock my pantry for 3 months? Is it edible or crap? Is there a big difference between the pastas?

I've been making homemade bread for years and just splurged and redeemed a bunch of PC points to get various GF flours and baking ingredients to make GF bread at home... I bought a premade GF loaf that was tiny and tasted like cardboard that was on sale for 3.99... Whats the most you pay for a loaf of bread in the store? Its got to be more cost effective (and yummy!) to make at home with Rice/almond/tapioca/potato flour, but what is a "Stock Up the freezer" price for those that don't bake?

And how concerned are you about cross contamination at home with your other family members? Do I need different pans & toaster or will a reusable toaster bag from amazon be sufficient?

I'm probably going to be posting a lot over the next bit, and thank you all in advance for your feedback!
    ROMEO and food1 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have been back to eating gluten free since June 10th of this year. I am NOT celiac, however after so many years of feeling lousy when convincing myself I CAN eat regular breads and stuff and then each time I suffer the effects.

At one point when most of the regular flour I had was used up I converted my pantry to gf flours and mixes, etc.
    That only lasted maybe a year because they go bad quickly I discovered ( the nut ones ) the cost was too high AND the experimentation with unknown recipes was sometimes not ideal....as in the final product tasted pretty awful and they were tossed ( such a waste )

At this point the family still eats everything and I still cook what they eat, but when making my own g.f. meals I find it is now just easier to avoid most simple carbs period.
    Trying to stick to eating lean proteins with tons of veggies for now, plus I am having one large mason jar of mean green juice
    ( I make my own ) each morning.
    I've decided that baking anything g.f. from scratch for one person is just not practical right now.

However, when I crave bread or toast I either just make the simple g.f microwave serving of 2 slices that Natalka posted a while ago in this thread or I bite the bullet and purchase 1 g.f loaf from the Organic store and keep it frozen.
    Cannot be bothered with any of the other gf processed products out there ( the treat ones I mean, and golly there sure are so many now! ) because they just add too much salt/sugar and fat to them.

Since starting again my body feels much much better ( digestion wise ) and I have dropped some badly needed to lose weight, which is always nice.
    Silk and Ciel like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The hazelnut cake in the November 2017 issue of Alive magazine:
    https://www.alive.com/recipe/flourle...whisky-prunes/
    Silk likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The Oakville/Burlington issue of Look Local magazine features a gluten-free cupcake recipe from Kelly's Bake Shoppe, a noteworthy vegan bakery in Burlington.

http://looklocalmagazine.com/recipe/...tato-cupcakes/

An older recipe from the same magazine: Espresso bites made with cocoa and dates:
    http://looklocalmagazine.com/recipe/...-energy-bites/

I recently wanted to buy gluten-free Kikkoman's soy sauce-I realized since Fortino's has a Natural Foods dept., that is where the product is found. I assume stores without a separate department might have all varieties of soy sauce shelved together. I also had a PC Plus points offer that I had to send an inquiry for as the points did not show up on the receipt and my offer did not state any dept or condition beyond the brand of soy sauce. GF soy sauce is at least $1 more expensive over the regular soy sauce but it's worth trying for now.
    Silk likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Gluten-free chocolate cake that uses quinoa in the recipe:
    http://looklocalmagazine.com/recipe/...e-quinoa-cake/
    Silk and walkonby like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    The Oakville/Burlington issue of Look Local magazine features a gluten-free cupcake recipe from Kelly's Bake Shoppe, a noteworthy vegan bakery in Burlington.

http://looklocalmagazine.com/recipe/...tato-cupcakes/

An older recipe from the same magazine: Espresso bites made with cocoa and dates:
    http://looklocalmagazine.com/recipe/...-energy-bites/

I recently wanted to buy gluten-free Kikkoman's soy sauce-I realized since Fortino's has a Natural Foods dept., that is where the product is found. I assume stores without a separate department might have all varieties of soy sauce shelved together. I also had a PC Plus points offer that I had to send an inquiry for as the points did not show up on the receipt and my offer did not state any dept or condition beyond the brand of soy sauce. GF soy sauce is at least $1 more expensive over the regular soy sauce but it's worth trying for now.
    No name Soy Sauce from Superstore is also gluten free and a fraction of the cost.
    Ciel likes this.
    Keep Smiling!
    Super Mel

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Bump
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Just discovered this thread! I am gluten sensitive, but not celiac. Later I'll post some websites that have some great recipes. These ladies do all the experimenting and post their final recipe which is generally quite good. After a while you get pretty good at reading the recipes and deciding if it's worth trying.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender Lady View Post
    Just discovered this thread! I am gluten sensitive, but not celiac. Later I'll post some websites that have some great recipes. These ladies do all the experimenting and post their final recipe which is generally quite good. After a while you get pretty good at reading the recipes and deciding if it's worth trying.
    @Lavender Lady - that's my situation also. Here's a post I wrote on that:

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I describe myself as gluten sensitive.* I can and do eat some foods with gluten, but when I eat too much gluten, I feel foggy, get headaches, and have skin problems. There’s also some research that shows gluten is link to a variety of health issues, including asthma and eczema (I have both!). Ideally I would love to be totally GF but not quite there yet
    *I just learned that there is an official term for this: non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS).
    Silk
    Looking forward to the links/websites you're going to post
    Ciel and Lavender Lady like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

https://lexiscleankitchen.com/
    https://sugarfreelondoner.com/
    The above 2 sites are 2 of my latest favorites for gluten free/low carb. I've had good success with many of their recipes.
    I have them come in on my facebook feed so its easy to save those that interest me.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

glad I saw this thread - we are gluten free - sensitive and causes inflammation in my body, feet and fingers swell.
    we are also lazy keto - 25g of carbs a day
    Silk, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

*Will post a carrot cake Bundt recipe from March issue of First for Women likely on March 3.
    While the recipe contains flour, the test director has a gluten-free subsitute for the flour: Bob's Red Mill Paleo baking flour (can substitute for the flour at a ratio of 1:1 and you'll need to add 5 minutes to the baking time to ensure that the dough cooks through).

Carrot Cake -Cinnamon Roll Bundt serves 12
    from March 19,2018 First for Women magazine
    Active time: 30minutes
    Total time: 3 hours

1-1/4 cups, plus 1 tbsp. milk, divided
    2 tsp. active dry yeast
    1/2 cup, plus 3 tbsp. granulated (white) sugar, divided
    3-1/2 cups flour (or substitute the Paleo Baking flour)
    1/1/2 sticks butter, divided
    2 cups finely shredded carrots
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    3/4 cup powdered sugar (this must be icing sugar?)
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1) In heatproof bowl, microwave 1-1/4 cups milk for 1 minute (*stovetop note from me*-warm the milk on the stove top but make sure to rinse the enamel pot/cup first with water so the milk won't stick to sides when it's heated). Stir in yeast and 3 tbsp granulated sugar. Let sit 5 minutes. Using mixer fitted with dough hook or paddle attachment on low speed (or your wooden spoon and big mixing bowl!), beat milk mixture with flour. Melt 1 sticks butter; add to mixture. Beat on low 2 minutes. Cover (the bowl with plastic wrap or kitchen towel); let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.

2) Melt remaining butter. In a 2nd bowl, mix butter with next 6 ingredients and remaining granulated sugar.

3) On floured surface, roll out dough to 16" x 18" rectangle. Spread carrot mixture over dough, leaving 1" border at bottom. Start at long end, roll into a log. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Layer (photo shows the rolls alternating sideways and faceup in both the first and second rows of the cake) buns in greased Bundt pan. Let rise 1 hour.

4) Heat oven to 350F. Bake 25-30 minutes (GF-bake 5 minutes longer). Let cool; invert cake onto platter. In bowl, whisk powdered sugar, vanilla and remaining milk. Drizzle glaze over top of cake.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Mar 3rd, 2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: had to finish last line; ran out of time in 1st hour
    Silk likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Glamour has three vegan/gluten-free side dishes listed in its December issue, so I'm sharing them here:

Creamy Cashew Polenta with Mushrooms & Kale
    *Serves 8* Note, cashews need to soak overnight!

-Soak 1 cup raw cashews in water overnight.

-In a food processor, blend cashews with:
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup nutritional yeast (available at Whole Foods)
    and a pinch of salt--until smooth. Set aside.

-In a medium pot, boil 4 cups non-dairy milk (e.g. unsweetened almond milk). Reduce to a simmer and whish in 1-1/2 polenta.
    Cook over 20 minutes over low heat, stirring often, until thick. Add cashew cream and salt to taste; stir occasionally.

-Meanwhile, in a large skillet over high heat, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add 2 cups of sliced cremini mushrooms. Cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Add:
    5 sliced garlic cloves
    4 cups chopped kale
    and 1 tbsp. chopped sage. Cook stirring often, until kale is soft, 4 minutes.

-Serve polenta topped with vegetables.

Maple-Roasted Parsnips with Sunflower Pesto Serves 8
    Preheat oven to 440F. Peel 8 medium parsnips. Quarter lengthwise, then cut into fry-like slices.

-Mix 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. maple syrup, and salt and pepper to taste, then toss parsnips in mixture and spread on a sheet pan. Roast 30-35 minutes, until parsnips are al dente and light brown in places.

-Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine
    1/4 cup each parsley, mint and basil
    1/4 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
    3 tbsp. olive oil
    and salt to taste. Pulse 5-10 times or until a chunky pesto forms. Toss parnsips with pesto and serve.

Sweet Potato-Sage Fritters Makes 24-28 fritters
    -Peel and grate 2 large sweet potatoes.

-In a large bowl combine sweet potatoes,
    2 cups rice flour
    1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
    1/2 cup non-dairy milk
    and 1/4 cup finely chopped sage; use your hands to mix.

-In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 inch canola oil. (Drop a small piece of sweet potato into oil-if it sizzles, the oil is hot enough.) Using 3 tbsp. mixture, form 1/2-inch-thick disks. Carefully add to skillet and cook about 2 minutes per side, until crisp and lightly browned. Cool on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining mixture, add more oil to skillet to maintain 1-inch depth.

-Serve warm, with store-bought pear or apple chutney and dairy-free sour cream.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Dec 5th, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

bump

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread Information