User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sleep Deprived
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

At the previous hair salon that I used to go to, I always tipped the guy who cut my hair and always factored in enough too for the people who washed my hair. Then I found out after several years of going there that he never passed my tips onto the shampooers, and that he was the owner! Duh!
    My friends told me that I should have never tipped him as the owners already rake in the profits.
    I am going for my first appt tomorrow at a new salon. The guy who will be cutting my hair is the assistant manager. Should I be tipping him? I don't mind tipping for good service, but I really don't know what the rules are.
    Also, should I tip the shampooers separately, or I can just leave a lump sum with him at the end of my services and let him pass the tip on? Any people who work in salons here who can clarify things for me? Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

I never ever have tipped the owner of a salon (my sister is a hairdresser and she told me this is the norm) due to them taking the profits..but I HAVE always given the shampooer $3.00 and the hairdresser who cuts my hair if it is not the owner, gets 15%.
    I have always done it this way, and my sister advised me of this when she first started years ago...oh and by the way, I purposely get change so I can physically GIVE the shampooer her money seperately from the tip for the hairdresser...thats really awful of him not passing on the shampoo person's tips...

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I tip wether they are the owner or not! Owning a business doesn't mean that they dont deserve tips imo, if they cut your hair and you like it I cannot fathom why you wouldn't tip them. My girl washes and does my hair cut, no shampooer to tip.

I generally tip 5 on a hair cut, 10-20 on a cut and colour.

I do believe there is a whole thread on what people tip to their hairdressers.
    Last edited by Sally888; Thu, Nov 4th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    I tip wether they are the owner or not! Owning a business doesn't mean that they dont deserve tips imo, if they cut your hair and you like it I cannot fathom why you wouldn't tip them. My girl washes and does my hair cut, no shampooer to tip.

I generally tip 5 on a hair cut, 10-20 on a cut and colour.

I do believe there is a whole thread on what people tip to their hairdressers.
    The reason I was given is because most hairdressers in salons work a)minimum wage +tips, or b) commission only, or c) they have to pay a percentage or a monthly chair rental to the salon owner...However the owner does the markups therefore is profiting from most of the business that comes to his salon...including profits on the marked up mechandise like shampoos, curling irons, etc...
    To each his own, you are great to be tipping regardless, I personally have never encountered anyone in my social/family group who does..they do the same as me...could be where we live, idk..

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's just usual to not tip the owner, as Lites explained.
    Where I go there is no separate shampoo person, and I tip 15-20% - whatever rounds up.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I am a bit bias, because my sister in law and mother in law are both hair dressers. I think that if you like the cut and style why not tip? Maybe I am going to different salons than people on here, but the one who washed my hair is the one who cuts it. I've never had anything different and I've gone to at least 10 different salons in my lifetime, probably more.

As for not tipping the owner, I have problems with this, just because my sil and mil over the last year just bought their own shop, the two of them are co-owners. They are the only two that work at the shop. Would this mean that because they own the shop they don't deserve tips, even though they are the only ones who work there?

My mil has worked for some of the chain salons like first choice and from her experience it was one of the worst times for her as a hairdresser.

I don't know personally i would tip owner if they were the ones who cut my hair, but that is just me. The size of tip depends on if it is a good cut and the service was good. The things that hairdressers have to put up with. I've heard some horrible stories about the state of some people's hair, an example someone who gets their hair washed once a month, they come into the hair shop for their once a month wash.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

I always tip my hair stylist, he is the owner but he spends at least 2 hours on my hair (thick hair) and because my hair takes so long he usually has me come around 5 and stays open until 7ish just for me. IMO he deserves a great tip as he always does an amazing job

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

If the owner is the one cutting my hair, then they get a tip, I am tipping for their good service not based on their wages which are none of my business. The same as I leave a tip in a local restaurant when the owner serves us when they are short staffed.
    The girl who cuts my hair also washes it so the tip is all hers, but when I was a teenager and washed hair I was always 'tipped out' by them
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

its a service ya paying for...some times if ya don't want the service stay at home and have your friend do it...

15% is usually norm but then again some hairdressers factor in the tip into their rate as well...
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

When I first started going to my salon the owner cut my hair and I tipped her...Now I see someone else within that salon. I would tip no matter what or I would feel weird but that is just me.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I've tipped regardless of whether it's the owner or not. And I've never had a different person wash my hair.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I pay my hairdresser with sexual favours.

It just so happens that my wife cuts my hair.

I would tip the owner if they are the ones who cut my hair. Before I got married I tipped the shampooer and whoever cut my hair separately just to be sure they got their cut.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DH666 View Post
    I pay my hairdresser with sexual favours.

It just so happens that my wife cuts my hair.

I would tip the owner if they are the ones who cut my hair. Before I got married I tipped the shampooer and whoever cut my hair separately just to be sure they got their cut.
    haha lol
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Where I worked the owner accepted tips but I didn't pay attention if every client tipped her. Shampoo people should be tipped seperately so they actually get it.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

p.s. I once got 3 cents for shampooing a client. Made my day. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information