User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was browsing online and I found the Ontario website which say you cannot charge tax on free items. I have gone to many stores like Nofrills where they have ignored this and have charged tax. I will print this out and take it to the store. If you have gotten charged tax on free items, maybe you should do the same. The link is below.

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/guides/rst/511.html
    This thread is currently associated with: No Frills

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Thanks for posting

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Yeah, it seems stores are slowly catching on to this. I think some stores have been "told." lol Just stand your ground and remember it also applies to the item you get free with a B1G1.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i wonder if this applies to other juridictions...

*Loves coupons*
    Trading Score
    116 (100%)

Thank you I to get charged tax on free items all the time and everywhere. I just printed this out and put it in my coupon book. just in case I need it, thanks. thank you so much this will save me $$$$$$..(the tax)

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Would this apply if I were to stack and get an item free? I don't think it would, but it never hurts to ask!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Very interesting. Thank you.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

interesting read....thanks!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

the info is actually outdated since the hst came into effect.

i believe tho that the info states that we don't pay RST on free items, but it can't read where it addresses GST on free items.
    with the implementation of the HST in ontario is the free item now exempt of HST?
    i'm confuzzled :/
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    the info is actually outdated since the hst came into effect.

i believe tho that the info states that we don't pay RST on free items, but it can't read where it addresses GST on free items.
    with the implementation of the HST in ontario is the free item now exempt of HST?
    i'm confuzzled :/
    There is no HST on FPCs. Previously no tax was to be paid on FPC's but stores were not following this. Also, while it applied to FPC's it did not apply to B1G1F's. I found an article on the CBC website about coupons and HST, and a government official is quoted as saying that when the HST is introduced, consumers will no longer pay HST on the free product when they are using a B1G1F.

I was recently informed by cashiers and supervisors both at Zehrs and Fortino's that the tax had to be deducted when I redeemed a few FPC's. At Zehr's the cashiers had been provided with a binder containing a chart which showed them the HST on each individual price so that they could deduct it.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    Yeah, it seems stores are slowly catching on to this. I think some stores have been "told." lol Just stand your ground and remember it also applies to the item you get free with a B1G1.
    Thanks Anne. Never thought about that one. You gals are so smart.
    Love it.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

There is no HST on FPCs. Previously no tax was to be paid on FPC's but stores were not following this. Also, while it applied to FPC's it did not apply to B1G1F's. I found an article on the CBC website about coupons and HST, and a government official is quoted as saying that when the HST is introduced, consumers will no longer pay HST on the free product when they are using a B1G1F.

I was recently informed by cashiers and supervisors both at Zehrs and Fortino's that the tax had to be deducted when I redeemed a few FPC's. At Zehr's the cashiers had been provided with a binder containing a chart which showed them the HST on each individual price so that they could deduct it.
    thank you for clarifying with specific points
    i couldn't find the info when i googled
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbertha View Post
    Would this apply if I were to stack and get an item free? I don't think it would, but it never hurts to ask!

this is only applicable for Ontario, not BC.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by maliha44 View Post
    I was browsing online and I found the Ontario website which say you cannot charge tax on free items. I have gone to many stores like Nofrills where they have ignored this and have charged tax. I will print this out and take it to the store. If you have gotten charged tax on free items, maybe you should do the same. The link is below.

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/guides/rst/511.html

annedougherty is correct. There is no HST on Free Product Coupons (FPC) but that is not the same as a coupon with a cash value equal or greater than the product being purchased.

Example:
    Dove deodorant is on sale for $1.99

Coupon #1: "Choose any Dove deodorant free" - you pay nothing.

Coupon #2: "Save $2.00 off any Dove deodorant" - this is not a FPC, it is a specific value coupon, you must pay the HST, even though the deodorant works out to being free, so the correct total is .25 cents.

Trading Score
    252 (100%)

i just bought dog food the other day and paid the tax Im pissed i should go back
    I really need 8 Dempsters PINS will need until FEB 15 and will trade for G.C $5 your choice where

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information