User Tag List

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Scanning Code Of Practice

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, it is for sure. It is frustrating when it happens, but doing something like giving the item for free, changes my mood completely. It turns my frustration into feelings of accomplishment. This will make me more careful with receipts, checking them before I leave the store.

Newb
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good for you matrix82!

Most stores don't generally tell the customer they should be getting the item for free if there's a noticeable discrepancy between the shelf tag and the price ringing up at the register. If you ask them about it they generally will give it to you for free if they adhere to the Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code.

You can visit this website for all stores that are currently participating in the program:

http://www.retailcouncil.org/advocac...racy02_eng.asp

It keeps stores on their toes to make sure they're doing their best to prevent this type of occurrence, but hey if it works out in our favour it's better to be in the know!

Now that I know about the policy I'm always on the lookout for errors (I know it's a little devious but the with the increasing prices of everything nowadays the customer shouldn't be the one to suffer).
    Last edited by mightyattom; Tue, Jun 10th, 2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Couldn't figure out how to format font from bold setting :P

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thank you mightyattom. I was looking for the list earlier and couldn't find it.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Wow, it is great to know that walmart is a member...I didn't know they were. I find they are really bad for mis pricing items.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Zellers is a big offender.... and of course, they are not a member of the SCOP.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

This is too weird. i just read over this post and checked out the Policy when lo and behold my husband came home to tell me he was overcharged at Rona. He was refunded, but no $10 rebate! I e-mailed Rona. As per policy 3.4 Retailers will train staff on the Code generally and the Item Free Scanner Policy in particular. Let's see if I get a response. I do have a gift for gab, especially when I plan out a written letter. (Ok, in posting I may sometimes seem disjointed, but HEY, I have a newborn and are at time sleep deprived

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Store that are member, will give you the item free up to $10.00 if the Item is over $10.00 you pay the differance.

Ellymae

Newb
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You're very welcome matrix82! I'm happy to help

Newb
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You're right Ellymae, stores that are honour the policy will give you the item for free if it's $10 or less before taxes or they will give you $10 off the shelf tag (even if it's the wrong one).

So for example, if the item rings up at regular price for $79 but the shelf tag displays $59 you will get it for $49 plus tax. This is the way that it should be done according to the policy.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mightyattom View Post
    Good for you matrix82!

Most stores don't generally tell the customer they should be getting the item for free if there's a noticeable discrepancy between the shelf tag and the price ringing up at the register. If you ask them about it they generally will give it to you for free if they adhere to the Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code.

You can visit this website for all stores that are currently participating in the program:

http://www.retailcouncil.org/advocac...racy02_eng.asp

I've never heard of this code before. Usually they just correct the price and return the difference. So I could have been getting that stuff under $10 for free?! Does anybody see anything on that webpage where I can request a hard copy of that article? It'd probably look more legit than just printing it off myself.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

its called the scanning code practice ...

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

same policy at my place of work too
    I find its good customer service,

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

how does one get the store to follow the scanning code practice policy..i have had more than three times when the store has just credited the difference...? does one actually say hey i want that free

Have a Banana Daily Beast Master's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Here are all Participants.
    http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...icipants_e.pdf

Who participates in the SCOP?
    Nearly every major retailer in Canada participates in voluntary Scanning Code.

If the store I am in does not have the sign do they participate in the SCOP?
    Although all participating retailers are suppose to display the Scanning Code of Practice sign as shown above, not all do. See the link above for a full list of participating stores and chains.

Does Zeller’s particpate in SCOP?
    No, Zeller’s does not participate in voluntary Scanning Code. Except for i Quebec where this code is the law and not voluntary

Will the cashier give me the product free without mentioning the SCOP?
    It is likely that you will have to ask the cashier to apply the Scanning Code of Practice. If the store is a participant they must give it to you for free or $10 off if the priced scanned is higher than the shelf or other displayed price. If the store will not apply the code, call 1-866-499-4599 and register a complaint.

How about if I more than one of an item that scans in wrong?
    If you buy three identical items you are entitled to the first item free, the following items will be adjusted to the lower price.

How about if I buy many different items that scan in wrong?
    You are entitled to the first item free per unique UPC, so if each item has a different UPC each item is free. You are entitled to one item free per unique UPC code.

The product had a price tag on it does the SCOP apply?
    No, the Scanning Code only applies to non-price ticketed items.

The displayed price was expired, does the SCOP apply?
    Yes, if any displayed price for that item is lower than the price the item scans for Scanning Code applies.

The item was on clearance does the SCOP apply?
    If the item is not ticketed with a price and the mark down was only by a sign or dsiplay than yes, the scanning code applies.

How about if the price that scans in for lower than the display price does the SCOP apply
    No, the Scanning Code of Practice only applies if the price that scans in is higher than the shelf or any other displayed price.

My item was more than $10 do I get it free?
    No, if your item is more than $10 you will get $10 off the price of your item.
    Please vote daily for my ferret site.
    http://1award.co.uk/addvote.php?vote=3368

Have a Banana Daily Beast Master's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

HECK...I checked and see Walmart participates, they are forever getting it wrong and all they do is correct the price...I will make note of this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please vote daily for my ferret site.
    http://1award.co.uk/addvote.php?vote=3368

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information