User Tag List

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Scanning Code Of Practice

Trading Score
    187 (98%)

zellers always screws me.... i went back with some yard that was on for $7 and i paid $8.99 and she asked me if i wanted to return the yarn or the difference back ... of course they arent part of that code.... !

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=150767
    *** PLEASE click my referral link ***

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I believe that they are suspossed to give you the product for free, it depends on the advertised price and the actual price that is on the shelf.. I had bought coffee at price chopper and the sale sign was still up and it came up as the regular price, I had mentioned it to the cashier, and she checked with one of the floor people, and I had gotten the product for free. I think the maximum is up to 10 dollars. It has happened to me more then once at price chopper, im looking for the page now when i find it i will post! hope this helps

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.retailcouncil.org/advocac...racy02_eng.asp

1. THE ITEM FREE SCANNER POLICY
    Retailers will implement an Item Free Scanner Policy as follows:
    1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and
    • (a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
      (b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the corrected price.

1.2 Where the same error recurs in scanning multiple units of a given product during a given transaction, the retailer will correct the scanning error in respect of each unit of the given product purchased, but is obliged to apply the policy set out in 1.1 (a) and (b) in respect of only one of the units.
    1.3 Paragraph 1.1 only applies after the final sale price of the purchased item has been displayed at the checkout, including relevant rebate, discount or promotional coupons.
    1.4 To be eligible for the Item Free Scanner Policy, the product must match the product description on the corresponding shelf tag.
    1.5 The Item Free Scanner Policy does not apply if the barcode or shelf label for a given product has been tampered with.
    1.6 The Item Free Scanner Policy does not apply to a product where, in respect of that product, the law:
    • (a) establishes a minimum price (or specified price); or
      (b) does not permit the retailer to offer a discount or a rebate.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I just had trouble with shoppers drugmart, i don't know if it was a flyer item or not, but i was overcharged for cough meds. as per their sign on their shelf, and it was not a misplaced item etc. the price signs clearly stated the name of the product, size and price. it was not updated in cash register. anyway, i rec'd the difference. After going to the competition bureau I got the list of participating retailers: (the link on the first post doesn't work).

so here is the list for you guys

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...icipants_e.pdf

and this is what the competition bureau says about the code and other pricing issues:
    http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...icipants_e.pdf

I also emailed sdm and have no reply since monday. I finally called the store. they were aware of the code. They said the mgnr will call me tommorrow and it should be no problem getting my money for the full amt of the product

KNOW YOUR STUFF!!! PRINT BOTH AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU WHEN YOU SHOP!
    Last edited by NSangel; Wed, Sep 24th, 2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: ***********BUMP************

will you be my friend? please? http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=298463

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Zehrs has always been great doing this, and I never even have to mention it (at least our local Zehrs)

there are signs up in some of the stores with the info, some like to hide it though.

Zellers is horrible at pricing so I can see why they don't participate lol!

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I've dealt with some cashiers at superstore that it was obvious they knew the policy. I had one that i informed her that i wanted the item free..she frowned and continued to write up a refund for the difference. Then i raised my voice and repeated myself this time loud enuf for others to hear, she turned went to the cash and gave me my money.

had the opposite at sobeys. i was overcharged. she not only gives me item free but $10 in addition! i quizzed her on the $10, and she said it was their policy. wow huh? i think someone misinterpreted the scanning code with respect to the $10 part...

will you be my friend? please? http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=298463

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I was overcharged twice at 2 different Superstores and I thought I had heard about this policy somewhere and I was going to mention it, but I didn't have my facts straight... now I know and this is another tool in my savings toolbox!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nagem View Post
    Superstore where I live do not follow the code,Ive had mispriced items a couple of times.It usually happens on the days they change the flyer prices and they blame it on that.

I have had the one in the closest town follow it then the one in the city on the way to work will not. I was furious!!!! I was buying cat litter there and it was priced about 3 dollars less then what it rang up at. I had them check it and the customer service people chaulked it up to their night crew placing the cat litter in the wrong spot and they would not honour the scanning code of practice. I complained but it made no difference.

The other time was taco shells and this time this praticular Superstore did honour and I got my shells free Better managment I suppose.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

my sister has one recently where the febreeze scanned incorrectly and she said something right away while in line.. the girl just changed the price and that was it.. i told her she should still have gotten it for free -- not a requirement that you pay the wrong price -- but that it scans at the wrong price.. ughhhhh

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Usually I have found there is a sign either on the counter where you write your check out or on the till and usually on the outer door of the store. Store Policies seem to vary in my area. I am in B.C. At IGA, if you tell them the price is wrong they almost always hand you money and tell you it is free then, at London Drugs I was told you have to actually quote "Scanning Code of Practise" to the cashier before they will honor it using those words. Safeway's long time employees tend to give you the item free if you point it out, the newer ones have to be told but I have never had a problem with them honoring it. WalMart in my area will put up a pretty big fight but usually will end up honoring it but again you have to quote the code. Next to none of their cashiers are aware of it, a manager is called and eventually if you are persistant and point to the words on the sign long enough they will cave and give it to you free, Costco is impossible...they will find a way to get out of it every time...except the last time I was there when I began to write down the managers name and was squinting at the sign and beginning to write down the number to phone while telling him not to worry any longer, I would just call that number on the wall behind him and talk to them...he immediately changed his mind and advised the cashier to give me the 10.00 but he still got in the last word and said it was "goodwill" not because he had to....he claimed if the item was over 10.00 the code did NOT apply period...even though the cashier, supervisor and I all pointed to the area where the code specified the first 10.00 was to come off. He said to me and I quote "I am letting you have the item for the lower price so what is your problem?" to which I replied, the scanning code of practise says the first 10.00 is free if it scanned wrong and you can see right on the receipt that it scanned wrong, and you are not letting me have it lower, you are giving it to me at what it was supposed to be in the first place. check your purchases carefully. you will be surprised how often a shelf price and the actual scanned price are different. I haven't actually bought shampoo for quite some time as it always seems to scan wrong. Got a lovely straw bag at Walmart a few weeks back that was clearing for 5.00 from 20.00 and actually scanned at 10.00. The cashier voided the amount so I don't think I even got hit for the tax on that one.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks a lot....got to know abt it after I got Neilson Dairy Oh milk for free at superstore. But I did not know abt the list of participating store.....thanks a bunch on that

addicted to coupon trains couponkristin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I'm printing it off and keeping it in my coupon book! I hate it when people just ignore it. I must admit though, one night I was grumpy and tried to get something free because the sign was higher than the scanned price. I was just mad that they didn't post their sale prices anywhere on the floor.

Trading Score
    194 (100%)

i wish i knew about this earlier! i've had trouble with Best Buy with pricing. once they just gave me the price on the tag, and another they overcharged me!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've always had to fight at Superstore for it... Zellers has actually given it to me, Safeway makes me fight for it as well... I had one Manager actually reduced me to tears over it...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

So this worked for me tonight at Superstore... Neilson Chocolate Milk $2.24 on label and rang up as $2.69. I mentioned the SCOP and she said that I would get it free, but I was only refunded $2.24 not the $2.69 that it rang up as... and no GST back.

Does anyone know if you should get a refund on the higher price (that I paid) or the lower price?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information