User Tag List

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

My hair cant hold a curl. Its so fustrating spending hours trying curling it, then ended up with horrible looking hair.

Please tell me products, tips, whatever you can to help me!!!

xoxoxox
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

what i know is....when we have strait hair we whant it curled and
    when we have curly hair, we want it strait

i stop fighting my hair....
    Last edited by Mia001; Thu, Apr 21st, 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Have you tried curling serums before trying? Can a hairdresser get hair to hold curl?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have fine hair and mine won't hold a curl. It'll just look ratty and unbrushed after about 20 minutes. My hair has a natural curl, but I can't change it or enhance it or it looks like crap
    Might be the same scenario for you.

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Mine's the same...nothing helps! Now I just straighten it and leave it.

Trading Score
    45 (100%)

Is your hair all one length? Or do you have some layers in it?
    If fine hair is one length, it puts a lot of stress on the hair strands, making it hard to hold a style. Whereas if you have layers in it, it will help reduce the stress on the hair.
    Mine is the same way. However, I have figured out what works for me.
    I found a product at SDM called Healthy Hair Instant Lift Volumizing Spray for Fine Fragile & Stressed Hair by Andrew Jose. Its a UK product. I bought it on clearance for $3 a bottle, tried it, loved it, then went back and bought the last 5 bottles(on my last bottle now).
    After washing my hair, i towel dry it, then i put in either Joico, Matrix or Biolage Instant Lift Volumizing Mousse, then section my hair, blowdry with heat first, then the cold setting to HOLD the style, starting with the undersections, then lightly spray with the Healthy Hair, then do the rest of the sections. If you hair is long, after blowdrying or curling, use a small hair clip to hold the curls up until you are finished it all. If your hair hasn't cooled off, the curl isn't set yet. After that i usually put a few drops of anti frizz serum in my palm and gently run my fingers through my hair, it stops the dry frizzy furball look.
    You might have to experiment with ultra lift mousses or sprays to find out what works for you. It took me a long time and I still have really bad hair days.
    I also find that the air in my house(due to the furnace being on) makes my hair very uncooperative.
    Join GROUPON for incredible deals, click here

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Mine won't hold a curl either. I put hot rollers in it and it still goes perfectly straight. I have just learned to live with it.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

If you are going to curl it, keep a high quality light weight conditioner around to use on your hair before you curl it. If I'm going to curl my hair, I use Biolage Light Weight Detangling conditioner after shampooing if I'm going to curl my hair, and make sure you comb it through. You need a conditioner that makes your hair as weightless as possible to start with.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

you can try curlformers. the curls you get from them usually last longer than curling iron curls if you sleep in them. but the curls do start out very tight and crunchy instead of the light and airy ones from the curling iron
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

ITA with Maddies post.. works for me everytime! I mousse the heck out of my hair too.. that helps alot.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RMurp007 View Post
    Mine won't hold a curl either. I put hot rollers in it and it still goes perfectly straight. I have just learned to live with it.
    Yup, same as me. Very fine, poker-straight hair. Have tried anything and everything!
    Lately, it's headbands and jawclips for me!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One of my besties has a similar issue, but before her wedding we found a hairdresser that managed to get her hair supercurly for both the bachelorette party and the big day.

While your hair is still damp, run a moisture-repelling product through your hair [like John Freida Frizz Ease, or Avon Lotus Shield]. Finish drying your hair. Let your hair cool. Starting at the back, section your hair into 2-inch sections. Spritz each individual section with a curl activating spray and comb through to ensure even coverage root to tip. Using either a curling iron or hot rollers, curl hair. Repeat until your entire head is done. Flip your head upside down and scrunch your curls up towards your scalp, holding each handful at the scalp for a few seconds. Spray a high-hold volumizing hair spray while your hair is still flipped [obviously, come upright if you would like - this doesn't all have to be done upside down ], spray all of your hair and scrunch again. Repeat as often as you want until the desired look is achieved.

I can't remember for the life of me what the curl activator was called, but TresEmme makes one called Thermal Creations Curl Activator Spray. The only catch with this one is that you have to spray it through your whole head after your hair is dry, and then take the blow dryer to it again to kick-start the heat-activated properties. If you hit up pretty well any drug store or salon, I'm sure they will have a recommendation. I can't say that I've ever used a curl activator personally as my hair is curly on its own, but several friends of mine have and it definitely makes a difference!

ALSO: Because hair that is weighed down will naturally start to straighten itself out, make sure to use 'lightweight' products [conditioner, hair spray, etc.]. It will say right on the packaging if it's lightweight.

Good luck!! I hope this helps!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Start with a curl activator creme, I like the one by Alcove. Also, could be the curling iron you use...if it doesn't get hot enough the curl wont hold at all. I use the Karmin Clipless curling wand and my curls last all day, I just set them with a light mist of flexible hair spray Good luck!

Thread Information