User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey,
    If you are a university student in Canada check out www.theultimatesteal.ca. You can buy Ultimate Microsoft Office for $64 or get it for 1 year for $22. Seems like a good deal to me since Ultimate Office comes with lots of the Microsoft programs. The people giving out the flyers on campus were giving out free hotdogs too!

-Mike
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another option is getting OpenOffice.org. It's free and does everything that Microsoft Office does and more. And it's free unless you want to donate to them.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

eqsania
    I just got OpenOffice, friend suggested it to me, and it's actually really good. Not to mention free.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've used it since version 1.9 and loved it. Hence, the sig.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Junior Canuck fierce_angel_6000's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sometimes as a student, the University will provide you with free software (downloads). Especially if you need specialized programs.

You'll have to check with your university, though, to see what might be offered to you. It's usually specific to the type of program you're taking.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Mine didn't... they expected you to have the versions they used. hahah

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you mind if I ask which programs were needed?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Me? Microsoft Office 2003

It wasn't really required; it was used as the standard for computing classes.
    If you wanted to practice creating slideshows, 'newspaper headings and columns', etc at home then you will need it.

Drew2
    I am using OpenOffice as well and it's pretty good (although maybe a little buggy).

Does anyone else have problems with commands timing out, or losing formatting such as highlighting?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've yet to have an issue like that Drew. Might it be an outdated version of Java?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

this may be a stupid question but does OpenOffice have powerpoint? I have openoffice but have yet to figure it out totally.
    AND how could I get a resume wizard for it?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by frugiedh; Wed, Apr 23rd, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html

I've just started using it so I can't help you out too much, but that link might help.

As far as I can tell, Open Office can open and save files in .doc, .ppt, and .xls formats, but you have to "save as" to do so, as the automatic file format is something else, like .odt. So as long as you remember to save in the correct file format you can exchange files with anyone using MS. Office

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OpenOffice does have a powerpoint part, called Presentations, you just need to save it as a powerpoint (PPT) file.

As for the wizard, no clue.

Kristin, thanks for helping out, and there is a way to change the default saving. Since I haven't used it in a while, I'm installing it again, so I'll soon know how to do it.

Thread Information