User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had to google CSIS ?? but wow, it is something I have never heard of and looks very interesting and the RCMP is also a great idea too. I agree that the language thing is a bonus so hopefully he will stay with that to some extent. One school he is looking at would give him a trilingual certificate which interests him. So thanks Matrix for those great suggestions!

I have heard that it is common to end up doing something totally unrelated to your original degree and I can see why and I do want him to study something that interests him.

What I want for my children is to have choice. When they know themselves better at 25 or if they want to change their careers/job at 45 yrs of age, I want them to have some kind of a solid foundation to build on.
    Thanks again.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

That is a wonderful way of thinking. Your children are lucky to have a parent that wants them to make good choices but realizes that they are the ones to make the choices.

Let us know what he decides to do.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think communications is a much more versatile degree than history! And French would be useful too, for translating work, and for government work!

My two old roommates just graduated with history degrees (from Laurier), and really, other than teaching (which they don't want to do), are having a very difficult time finding anythign related to history as a career!!

Laurier as a school I just ADORED (I'm a 5th year, part time student still), and Waterloo is an excellent city to be a student in, because of the two universities, very student centered...).

But yeah.. I did take a couple first year communications courses, and found those a bit dull, but I heard if you're a comm major, it gets more interesting! (I'm a psychology major, with a minor in political science)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

University has changed so much over the years as has peoples expectations. I'm finishing my degree after many years and many job changes. It's in history and I enjoy it. That's why I'm doing it. It will do nothing for me at work but the course work allows me to escape from the drudgery of my work.

What bothers me is the level of education people are asking for entry level jobs. How many employers no longer offer on the job training and skills upgrading. It used to be that banks trained their own tellars. Now there are "career college" courses. Nursing in my province requires two years at college for a PN diploma and four years at university for an RN degree. These nurses are no better prepared than those trained in the hospitals.

Police and Fire now have so many hoops to jump through to get in that it costs a lot for a young person to make it to the interviews.

The RCMP has dumped it bi-lingualism requirement. Where we live it better serve the population to require them to be bi-lingual in Ukranian or Chinese.

chickaboom
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As a person who has both an undergrad and a graduate degree, the majority of schools in Canada are pretty similar when it comes to an undergraduate education. In terms of grad school, it depends on what field you are in. So, for your son, any Canadian university is a decent choice---I would look at student resources, housing, scholarships available, etc. In terms of communications vs history--keep the options open---1st year is very general anyways and most schools you pick your major in 2nd year. I would advise to ABSOLUTELY keep up with the French--it is a huge advantage in Canada---not only for government jobs, but even for K-12 teaching!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all the help!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    University has changed so much over the years as has peoples expectations. I'm finishing my degree after many years and many job changes. It's in history and I enjoy it. That's why I'm doing it. It will do nothing for me at work but the course work allows me to escape from the drudgery of my work.

What bothers me is the level of education people are asking for entry level jobs. How many employers no longer offer on the job training and skills upgrading. It used to be that banks trained their own tellars. Now there are "career college" courses. Nursing in my province requires two years at college for a PN diploma and four years at university for an RN degree. These nurses are no better prepared than those trained in the hospitals.

Police and Fire now have so many hoops to jump through to get in that it costs a lot for a young person to make it to the interviews.

The RCMP has dumped it bi-lingualism requirement. Where we live it better serve the population to require them to be bi-lingual in Ukranian or Chinese.
    Totally agree with the New grad point ! Cox I am a new grad

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with the push for the bilingualism. I too graduated with a bachelor's degree in the social sciences but am unilingual. It seems there are many more opportunities out there for those who are bilingual. A second language is also a requirement now for the ph. D program in my discipline.

bcteagirl
    Krista: If you take a look at the 'do you speak french' thread in the tearoom, you will find some great information on a bursary system that can help you get your French!

ps- what is your discipline if I may ask?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

When I worked in the head office of a major bank, there were many people working there with various degrees - history, environmental science, etc.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Communication??
    How about marketing? (very career friendly) or communication studies in social science

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information