User Tag List

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Price matching
    When stores offer price matching, they give their customers an additional incentive to shop there. Rather than jumping from store to store to get a few items here, a few there (according to which competing store has the better deals), just check-out the stores’ flyers and/or go online to see which store has the better price.

For instance, let’s say Shoppers Drug Mart has Tide Detergent on sale for $4.99 and you have a $3.00 coupon, so that the item is now only $1.99. Take the SDM sale flyer to the store you want to make other purchases at, which is a store that price matches. When you take your items to check-out, show the cashier your SDM flyer and say that you want a price match. If you have the correct advertised SDM sale item and you ask for a price match during the sale dates on the SDM flyer, the cashier should sell you the item for the SDM sale price, not the (higher) price of the item at the store you’re standing in.

Here are a few stores that price match:Bargain Shop,Canadian Tire, Future Shop, London Drugs, Real Canadian Superstore, Save on Foods, Sears, Toys R Us, Walmart, Zehrs, Zellers. Walmart seems to be one of the easier ones to price match at.

Rain checks
    Stores offer sale prices all the time. But if a sale is really great, the items may sell out in the first day or two. If you go to a store and the advertised sale item is out, ask for a rain check. Stores usually limit rain checks to six items. And most rain checks expire after 30 days. Although, some last longer (there are even some that never expire: Zellers). After receiving your rain check from a particular store, be sure to scan the shelves each time you go back to that store to see if the item you wanted has been replenished. If the store still does not have the item by the time the rain check expires, ask for another rain check.

Here are a few stores that give rain checks:Canadian Tire,Home Hardware,Foodland, London Drugs, Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Zellers, Zehrs.

Scanning Code of Practice
    The Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) is a code followed by certain retailers. The code promises the customer accurate price scanning at the register on non-ticketed items. So, if an item scans at a price higher than the shelf-listed price, the customer will get the item free, or will receive $10 off the item as long as the item is more than $10. Stores won’t go out of their way to tell you that they follow the code, (usually, a SCOP sign next to the register will inform you of it). If you buy more than one quantity of the same item, you can receive the first item free. After that, the additional items will be adjusted down to the lower, correct price.

Here are a few stores that follow the SCOP:Best Buy/Future Shop, Canadian Tire, Co-op Atlantic, Costco, Giant Tiger, Home Depot, Home Hardware, Jean Coutu (NB and Ontario only), Lawton Drug Stores, Loblaws, London Drugs, Metro, No Frills, Pharma Plus, Pharma-save, Real Canadian Superstore, Rona, Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobeys, Thrifty Foods, Toys R Us, Walmart, and many independent stores.Zellers does not choose to participate except for Qc where its law.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Thanks for posting!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

NoFrills also price matches, Freshco does as well but they make the item 1 cent cheaper.

The only thing is at NoFrills you can only price match an item once, then they initial it so you cant price match with them again.

Freshco Will only price match 2 of the same item due to less stock then other stores, you can get around this by buying different flavours though

Real Canadian Superstore Does NOT price match in Ontario (only on baby items), or atleast the ones near where I live dont. Tried to price match cereal there once and was refused I talked to customer service and they said they only price match on certain items, the only ones I have seen them price match though are baby items.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would like to add that Wal-Mart also does rainchecks, but will NOT do rainchecks on the advertised items in the weekly flyers. It states at the bottom " While quantities last. " which means that if there is no quantity - they cannot do anything about it. They're not the ones who control the amount of quantity to be brought in, as the warehouse is the one who sends it at random. When a sale goes on and the item is sold out; do not blame the store for their 'incapability to properly order when the sale goes on...', keep in mind you're not the only one coming in the store. Also keep in mind that there are vultures who go in at 7am or whenever the store opens in your region so they can swipe a large quantity of the specific item, not thinking about anybody else. It sucks, but is a fact of life. Just do like others. Become a vulture and get it before anybody else ! Hope that helps.

Tip for shopping at W.M: Never say that they approved of something at another store. The store you're at doesn't care. They will probably say go back to that store to get the same deal, because they cannot control or filter what happens in that store because each store is managed differently.
    Last edited by iPatt; Thu, Jul 21st, 2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: added information!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Metro actually also does rainchecks. You just have to make sure you check the price tag of the item, sometimes (rarely) it will say "while quantities last". But on most sale items you can get a rain check (unless it's one of their "1 or 2 day only sale".) that will be valid for 1 month.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I was actually wondering if I can bring a walmart flyer to freshco for price matching. Do they have issues with the fact that walmart isn't really a "grocery store", therefore, not a competing bussiness to price match?

Trading Score
    150 (100%)

Fresho has pricematched Walmart for me on a few occasions but will not price match Giant tiger.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks so much for putting this info together & posting it. My first time in this room and this is exactly what I was coming in search of!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Will bigger groceries stores (Zehrs, (Fortinos here) Loblaws, Metro, etc. PM with flyers for stores like No Frills, Food Basics etc? I know those stores have lower prices because they are 'no frills' but will the other stores match some of their sale prices in their flyers?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Can u price match produce
    I"m a newbie and heres my coupon wishlist. I"ll trade for stamps
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/92252-c...shlist-canada/

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 3girls4me View Post
    Can u price match produce
    Yes, but each store has their own price-matching policies of what they will or will not allow.

Example: No Frills does not match multiple deals ( ie 12 corn cobs for $3)
    Example: Fresh Co is now requiring precisely the same company for produce

Thread Information