User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi all

I have looked but I am unable to find this...maybe it does not exist?

What I am looking for is a price list of sort...maybe a spreadsheet type deal of items with a 'Regular Price'? That way when I go to a store and they have this huge sign that says GREAT DEAL...I will know if it is indeed a good deal or if they are simply trying to hose people

I am new at this as my husbands job is in jeopardy right now so we are really trying to watch prices...I am usually the type that goes in and just buys what looks good...although I have to say couponing is actually kind of fun

Thanks so much,
    Janet
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

There is no such item out there as since we all live in different areas, the prices vary. The best thing to do is go to the stores and write the prices of the things you normally buy when they are not on sale. That way if a sale comes along, you will know if it is a good price or not. There is a thread here that matches up the weekly sales with available coupons, and the best deals are printed in red, so you will know that that particular item is a really good deal. Hope this helps and welcome to couponing and welcome to SC.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I second what hollyquaiscer said. Keep track of the things and prices you buy, and start checking flyers and noting the prices and the date in a book and/or spreadsheet. Eventually, you'll have enough information to figure out the sales cycles. You'll be able to determine if something is really on sale and if it's worth stocking up to last until the next sale comes up.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've never heard of resource for "regular prices." But the more you start paying attention to deals and sales, the more you will become aware of when a good deal is actually good.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I was just wondering about that myself actually. It would be a great resource for us newbies.

For example, a few weeks ago there was a sale on Pampers diapers at Walmart. Usually I pay 36 for a box of 160 or so. They were on sale for 32. I thought, what a great deal and used my coupons all up. A few weeks later they were on sale for 23! And of course I had no more coupons. Luckily, my mom, her fiance and myself were able to snag ten raincheques between the three of us, so hopefully that will keep us stocked up until the next sale comes along.

Another example - That same day I got the great deal on the diapers at Walmart, I saw 12 packs of Diet Pepsi on sale for 3.97. That sounded like a great deal to me. Then we headed to Metro after I bought two packs and they were on for $2.99. I felt really stupid. (I was at my mom's for the weekend, so I didn't have access to the SC site to look at the flyers ahead of time.)

Another thing, ziploc freezer bags. I love freezer bags, but I never know what is a good price to pay for them, especially as I don't have any coupons for them!

So yes, it might be a lot of work, but it would be so beneficial for new members. Of course, you wouldn't be able to list every single product out there, but maybe a few of the ones that always have coupons available (like diapers, formula, tylenol, bounty, charmin, etc.) would be really great.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

But the problem is that such a price list would only be beneficial to people who live in big cities. For example, I have relatives in Nova Scotia and buying a Charmin toilet paper on sale in Yarmouth is paying 6.99 for 12 double rolls. In Halifax, it's $4.99 for the same product. In Toronto, bottom price might be as low as $2.99. (I made those prices up for my example, I really don't know the price of TP in areas other than mine.)

Different factors, like transportation costs, competition, may affect the price depending on the area. Perhaps, it would make more sense to start a list in the local forums instead? Then again, prices eventually all go up at some point, so don't know for how long such a list would be useful to readers.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

First of all WELCOME! I see this is your first post.

Forget 'regular' price, lovalot. You are never going to pay full retail again!

Start by going through this weeks flyers and write down the sale prices for all the products you use, the store, size, and the date. If you google "grocery price list" there is alot of info on creating a price list that works for you. On SmartCanucks check the official best deals for this week under the deals tab and look for products you use. Include a few stores that you don't normally shop at (across town) as you can use fliers to price match at Walmart or Zellers. Look under deals as much as possible. If SCrs are clammering for a certain product you can bet it is at rock bottom price!

Toilet paper and cereal are tricky as there are too many sizes to keep track of. PM if you can't figure out how to track those. I can't tell you how many times I was going to buy either TP or cereal then did the math and found out it was a lousy deal!

Look at the fliers again next week and add to your list. Also look at any products that you have already recorded. If they are on sale elsewhere record the lowest price, date, size and store.

After only a few weeks you will start to figure out the lowest prices for the products you use.

Keep recording week after week and you will have your rock bottom price list. Even better you will start to figure out the sales cycles and will know how often each product will be offered at that rock bottom price and will then know how much you need to buy to get to the next sale.

According to my price list I have been able to get lean ground beef for $1.99 lb. I am down to my last pound and kept seeing it for 2.99 lb the last few weeks. I waited and WHOO HOO Loblaws has lean ground beef for 1.99 lb this week. I also know that I need to buy 25 - 30 pounds to get to the next sale.

Unfortunately, no one can do the work for you. It is like cheating in school - if someone else does the work you don't learn/retain the info. If you don't learn the prices you won't be able to easily spot the best deals. And a good deals in different parts of the country are different. My brother lives in SK and what he pays for groceries makes me cringe. They raise the beef, milk the cows and grow the grain there. Go figure!

Keep reading the forums, record your price book and before you know it you will be a super savvy shopper saving hundreds of dollars a year!

Where do you live lovalot?
    Last edited by frugalmom2; Fri, Jul 8th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For me living in the Langley/Surrey, BC area I have gotten to learn some items i will "never pay nore than" as I have seen these prices go to that low. Ie., Dove $2.99, xiploc freezer bags $2.50, advil tablets (24 ct) $2.99, toothpaste $0.88, ziploc containers $3.50, fantastik and windex $2.50, quantum starter kits$6,daipers $23.99 for 104 or more size 4, wipes refills 360ct $5.99. Maybe there are some better deals but these are the lowest prices i have seen since i started coupong about 2 months ago. As you get into it more you will be amazed at how quickly you learn prices on items! Couponing hasnt just saved me a ton of money, it has also educated me how to stretch my dollars alot farther. When i shop now i expect every dollar to be worth at least 50% more. Luckily I make it worth at least 1.75 everytime i shop!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in Kitchener, ON

I also used to buy discount meat at Sobeys...I loved that little pink 50% off sticker. they stopped doing that and my freezer has never been more than half full since! Lol

Thank you for all the info. I am starting a spreadsheet as we "speak" to start tracking.

Really need to cut back grocery bill!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Depending on what you are looking for HealthyPrice.ca has price comparison for a few things. It looks like the prices are updated everyday so there are always a few one sale. I find it pretty helpful
    Follow my deals on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SaveWithSabrina

Thread Information