User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Just found out it is going to cost me over 16,000 to do a three year theatre program
    3,500 and something per semester I was so shocked why the heck does school have to cost so much? Plus on top of that I have to pay book fees, housing, and all those other misc. expenses they make you pay. OMG and you have to pay for your audition to see if you are accepted AFTER you pay to apply to the school so I'm looking at 135 dollars times three because I plan on applying to three schools just to be safe but I do have a preference. I'm in way over my head right now If only there was an easier way to go to College or University.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, I need to pay over $7000 for my courses (Per year/ 2 year program) and $3000 for a new laptop, so I know exactly where you are coming from.
    Last edited by Young_Freebie; Mon, Nov 5th, 2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Adding the costs up... over 17 grand :(
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

bcteagirl
    3,500 a semester is pretty normal.... a lot granted, but normal.

Junior Canuck fierce_angel_6000's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Agree: 3500$ is normal/reasonable. Besides, the government does pay for a portion of your education as well (the percentage, I'm not sure about).

Consider university education an investment, and not a loss.

Yes it is expensive, but you will be more qualified than someone whom does not have the same degree.

And hopefully, after all those years of studying/stress/lack of sleep, a nice paying job will result.

rita heyworth
    Hey Rose, yup it's all very daunting! But take courage, you can do this!

A few things you might want to look into as you're choosing among programs to apply and audition for

When you contact the colleges and universities to which you are thinking about applying, ask them for any information they have on their programmes, including their course calendars. Departments and programmes often list scholarships and bursaries that are available to students enrolled in their programmes and you should do what you can to familiarize yourself with what might be available.

Contact the Student Awards and Financial Aid offices of the institutions to which you are applying - they also will have more general information on scholarships and bursaries available to students throughout the college or university.

You probably already are aware of this distinction, but in case not, a scholarship is a monetary award based primarily on academic performance, but sometimes also including contributions to community etc., while a bursary is a monetary grant (meaning you don't have to pay it back) usually based primarily on financial need, although there are sometimes academic or personal criteria built in to particular bursaries.

If you are applying primarily to Ontario colleges and universities, I would recommend applying for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Plan) - they provide loans to Ontario students enrolled in Ontario postsecondary institutions. Your eligibility will depend on family income if you are being supported by your parents, and also your own income if you are working. The advantage of these loans is they are interest-free until 6 months after you complete your degree. There are disadvantages of course too, but I won't go into those here

Something you should also look into are the Canadian Millenium Scholarships and Bursaries - check out this web site:

http://www.millenniumscholarships.ca...ents/index.asp

If you are moving to a bigger city, there will likely be a number of interesting and maybe even fun part-time jobs you can apply for (especially in the big theatres ), plus you can tutor part-time for extra cash, and if you come to Toronto, you can participate in the occasional market research group to supplement your income.

It's very stressful looking at the whole picture financially before you enrol in a college or university, but there are ways to make it work. You are doing the right thing by exploring your options and asking questions, and asking the programs to which you are applying to keep providing you with better and more concrete information.

Good luck! I know you can do this , and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

xo rita

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Freebie View Post
    Well, I need to pay over $7000 for my courses and $3000 for a new laptop, so I know exactly where you are coming from.
    My brother had to pay the same...
    Don't you know they're lying when they're telling you it's been all right?
    http://cashcrate.com/389609

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

OMG 7000 wow that is quite a bit...the only thing I don't get is its Theatre Arts wow don't they know the term starving artist rofl. Rita OSAP sounds good for me! My parents aren't helping with school and I don't have a job as of yet so that would be great for me until I can get to Toronto and find a job

rita heyworth
    Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    OMG 7000 wow that is quite a bit...the only thing I don't get is its Theatre Arts wow don't they know the term starving artist rofl. Rita OSAP sounds good for me! My parents aren't helping with school and I don't have a job as of yet so that would be great for me until I can get to Toronto and find a job
    ok so try this link http://osap.gov.on.ca/

There should be some good info on how to get started with your application. I had no parental support any of the way through (and many students face various versions of this situation), and somehow i've managed just fine (although with stories about my various jobs I could fill a book with - just take it as part of the unique scenery of your life ).

Sadly, humanities and arts-based programmes tend to be the worst off for funding because they don't get sponsorship from huge profitable companies the way that more science-based programmes do. Your Theatre Arts programmes are probably feeling the pain of no funding almost as much as their applicants, so they have to pass on their uncovered expenses to you. It sucks!

Anyway, if you do make it to Toronto, I'll have lots of tips for how to make things work income wise and saving money wise. I can't wait to hear where you get accepted!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

ok going to check it out while i have good internet here at school lol probably will take forever to load for me when i get home...I have narrowed it down to two choices George Brown and Humber...Sheridan was too much based on dance ability for my liking and you had to show up with a dance piece prepared, at the other two schools they just make you dance in groups to see how well you move and see if your trainable i guess lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by fierce_angel_6000 View Post
    Agree: 3500$ is normal/reasonable. Besides, the government does pay for a portion of your education as well (the percentage, I'm not sure about).

Consider university education an investment, and not a loss.

Yes it is expensive, but you will be more qualified than someone whom does not have the same degree.

And hopefully, after all those years of studying/stress/lack of sleep, a nice paying job will result.
    My husband does not have a degree, masters or bachelors and is more experienced than those who do and succeeded in obtaining a job that you need a Degree or Masters in. Just thought I would point that out
    Nothing lasts forever

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by spring90 View Post
    My brother had to pay the same...
    Ouch. Let him know he's not the only one with the dent in his pocketbook then

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    OMG 7000 wow that is quite a bit...
    For getting into the career of Film Editing or Librarian, it is costly... but I'm paying the cheap side: $7k per year.

One of my friends is forking out $15k to do the same thing out of Provence, so I'm happy NSCC took me here.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just to rub a little salt, when I started my university life my academic fees were a little over $1700. Per year. For everything but books. This was in the late '80s and early '90s, though, but things have changed a lot since then. Of course, now I have my physics degree, and have done jack and squat with it ever since. As with all things, your mileage may vary.
    73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SCRawl View Post
    As with all things, your mileage may vary.
    this line makes me snicker.

oh well... I guess I got to fork out sooner or later.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went to college, but each semester was only $1300 for tuition, and it was only 2 years (4 semesters) long.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    I went to college, but each semester was only $1300 for tuition, and it was only 2 years (4 semesters) long.

wow that is pretty good...I still can't believe theatre school costs that much omg!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information