User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hey guys! Im looking for Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth in toronto. I can't seem to find it anywhere! I've heard its good at killing bed bugs (which i think i have ) If anyone can help me, I would be soooo greatful! thanks in advance <3 xoxoxox
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Oh, I don't envy you if you do have them...they are supposed to be an absolute nightmare to get rid of.

Sorry I don't have any sources for the silica, but try calling 311 - apparently the City gets hundreds of calls a year and should have some resources for you.

The good news is that - itchy and annoying though their bites may be - they don't carry diseases. Boil and dry (in a dryer - hanging them to dry won't help) all your sheets, pillow cases, etc.; run your pillows through the dryer on hot for at least half an hour, flip your bed up and go over the seams inch by inch, and vacuum the hell out of your mattress and boxspring.

If you have slats for your bed, take them out, wipe them down on all sides with bleach, and do the same for your head and foot-boards. You may want to lift the bottom and get underneath the parts the bed sits on, too.

There are also commercially available matress covers that zip them in (if they're still there) and keep them out (if they're not).

Best of luck - and please post about the silica if you find a place!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I don't know how this substance can be obtained as food grade, but diatomacetious earth is barbed stuff at both ends, so insects hurt when they ingest it. It is supposed to help with ants too, if you follow directions and put it along their paths (but not near your food!).

Hardware stores sell plastic bottles of it in the insect control aisle.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I think Terra Greenhouses carry it, not sure how close one would be to you but if they carry it, I imagine most garden centres will (btw its also safe for cats with fleas)
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Once you've cleaned up as Screamy described, make sure your bedding doesn't touch the floor, and try taping your bed legs (sticky side out) to prevent new ones arriving too. Never hurts to take every precaution!
    Join Swagbucks for free GCs & prizes, just by searching: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Chicka
    PM me for a Lockerz.com invite.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I thought it was bed bugs but my dog just had fleas lol. Got rid of them (thank goodness!) Thanks for all the comments tho!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

It isn't often fleas are good news! But they are so much easier to get rid of.
    Join Swagbucks for free GCs & prizes, just by searching: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Chicka
    PM me for a Lockerz.com invite.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 12:15 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Are you still looking for this stuff? I saw some yesterday at Herbie's Herbs at Bathurst and Queen.
    Here's a link to their online shipping (but it's easy to just go to the store and pick it up.)
    http://secure.herbies-herbs.com/inde...com_virtuemart

Vbe
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Seriously, that stuff is VERY different from food grade DE and is can cause lung cancer if inhaled. DE for pool/aquarium filter has been chemically and heat treated and now contains crystalline silica. This should be avoided. The same is also true of DE from salt water sources to a lesser extent.

When laying DE down in you home for pests be sure you're using the food grade variety.

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Diatomaceous earth is sold in aquarium stores in the aquarium filters section - it's used to filter water in fancier set-ups. Try the Big Al's Aquarium Superstores online or check out one of their locations. I don't know that it would be food grade but the bedbugs won't care.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just read this article about DE "How to have better hair and a healthier body with a little known source of silica" so the idea of "Food Grade" DE is somewhat more interesting (to me) now so if anyone has any ideas of where to get this ...
    Last edited by Helios813; Fri, Aug 19th, 2011 at 02:59 PM.

verkisto
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I visited Herbie's Herbs thanks to your post, Kava5, but they only have NON-FOOD GRADE DE. Health Services at Bloor and Dovercourt do not carry it in any form.

I was advised by staff at my local Hooper's to try The Big Carrot and Ottway's Herbals near Chester subway. If all goes well with my schedule, I will go there tomorrow and will report on the results. Cheers! ;-)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Big Carrot sells food grade DE and their suppliers are in Mississauga:
    http://www.diatomitecanada.com/contact-us.htm

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pickering Flea Market on Squires Beach Road in Pickering... there is a vendor there that sells this ! ... good luck ( he also sells the magnetic bracelets )

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have tried a few times to post here, but it's not getting though...

www.diatomaceousearth.ca

That's a good site, food grade DE too.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information