User Tag List

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

My DH is a US Citizen and wants to try and build credit here in Canada so he decided to apply for a Capital One credit card. They sent him a notice saying that they needed him to send in a photocopy of 2 pieces of ID to verify his identity, so he picked his bank account statement (for address) and his birth certificate (for D.O.B). I've never heard of this before. Is it because he isn't a citizen of Canada?

The best part is the letter says they need to verify this before they can send him his card (I assume this means he was approved and it's an unsecure card??) but it's dated Dec 13 and says he is to respond in 25 days and we just got it today! DH wants the card so he's mulling over paying $10 to overnight it so that he gets it back in time without having to apply again but I'm worried they'll send a letter saying, "thanks, now if you place a deposit you can have a card" and he'll have wasted money to ensure it gets there.

Anyways, has anyone encountered having to send in copies of ID for a CC??
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by TaraF; Thu, Dec 29th, 2011 at 06:06 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Yes.. it's their standard practice. Particularly if applicants don't have a Canadian credit record or have poor credit. I remember applying for them when I was first starting out, never bothered returning the info and ended up getting a better rate and higher limit at an actual bank.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If he has an Amex in States, you can get an AMEX here easily. Amex uses the US credit history. Then use the Amex to build the Canadian credit history.
    Earn $50 by opening an account at ING Direct using orange key 35844570S1 and deposit $100. PM me to get additional $10.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mailwin View Post
    If he has an Amex in States, you can get an AMEX here easily. Amex uses the US credit history. Then use the Amex to build the Canadian credit history.

Thanks for the tip!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    My DH is a US Citizen and wants to try and build credit here in Canada so he decided to apply for a Capital One credit card. They sent him a notice saying that they needed him to send in a photocopy of 2 pieces of ID to verify his identity, so he picked his bank account statement (for address) and his birth certificate (for D.O.B). I've never heard of this before. Is it because he isn't a citizen of Canada?

The best part is the letter says they need to verify this before they can send him his card (I assume this means he was approved and it's an unsecure card??) but it's dated Dec 13 and says he is to respond in 25 days and we just got it today! DH wants the card so he's mulling over paying $10 to overnight it so that he gets it back in time without having to apply again but I'm worried they'll send a letter saying, "thanks, now if you place a deposit you can have a card" and he'll have wasted money to ensure it gets there.

Anyways, has anyone encountered having to send in copies of ID for a CC??
    Hi @TaraF – It’s Andrew from Capital One. The letter your husband received requesting two pieces of ID is indeed part of our verification process. This is a standard security practice we use in our application process. We apologize that the letter arrived late. It sounds like it was a victim of the busy holiday mail season. Did your husband decide to courier the documents? Feel free to PM me if you need any assistance. Thanks for your interest in Capital One.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I applied for a capital one secured card several days ago as I am trying to establish my credit as I have been out of the country for 15 plus years and I called to get an update on my application. I was told that I was approved and needed to send in $300, once they received the funds they would then decide if I needed to go to Canada post for verification. I asked what where the factors in determining if I had to go through the process but they didn't have an answer. i am a candian citizen by birth but haven't had credit in a while. Has anyone recently applied for a capital one secured card and have or not have to do the cerification at canada post?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mailwin View Post
    If you have an AMEX card from any other country, you can get one in Canada by doing a Global Transfer. I did it when we moved from Europe.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4canucks View Post
    So I applied for a capital one secured card several days ago as I am trying to establish my credit as I have been out of the country for 15 plus years and I called to get an update on my application. I was told that I was approved and needed to send in $300, once they received the funds they would then decide if I needed to go to Canada post for verification. I asked what where the factors in determining if I had to go through the process but they didn't have an answer. i am a candian citizen by birth but haven't had credit in a while. Has anyone recently applied for a capital one secured card and have or not have to do the cerification at canada post?

This is a normal process for Capital One to verify your identity! Since they don't have any branches here, it's done through Canada Post. I don't have any cards with them but completed an online application, received an immediate approval online. Then earlier this week received an approval letter for an unsecured MasterCard, letter explains that a Canada Post parcel notification card is also being mailed out to me & that I'll need to bring this to a Canada Post location with my identification for verification. Apparently, Canada Post will send back to them electronically and then Capital One will mail out a card. I just called them today & have been advised I should be receiving the parcel notification next week some time. Have you received yours yet? Or a MasterCard yet?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Standard know your customer regulatory requirement. Even if you're a Canadian natural born citizen, you may still have to go through presenting yourself physically at a Canada Post Office and presenting ID, to pick up your CapitalOne credit card. Banks will ask you to come into their branch.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently applied for a capital one card too and also had to send in 2 pieces of ID. They also had to call my home phone number to verify its legitimate
    http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com - Saving, Investing & Frugal Living

Free Groceries! Use the referral code CRCAL-WESJAD at Spud.ca to get $20 off your first grocery order of $50 or more (a 40% savings)

Thread Information