User Tag List

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: How much do you spend on groceries?

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I don't know how people get away with spending any less than $100 a week. I tried to aim for $400 a month and I failed. I spend about $500 a month on groceries. But that's all groceries... Household and food... Maybe I'm doing something wrong lol. We buy a LOT of fruit and veg. About $30 a week is spent on fresh produce. We eat healthy and not a ton of packaged foods which is what most coupons are for... Maybe that's it. I've recently considered getting a Costco membership because I love their meat. But I doubt I'll save anything by having it...
    lizzie bargain likes this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I shop the sales. We buy fresh veggies and fruit for the week based on the sales. And if a great deal I buy the veggies/fruits on the last day of the sale to last for the next week. Meat is only purchased on sale. And I stock up to last us. I don't buy much packaged stuff which costs $$$.
    dreamcatcher1962 and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I budget $400 a month for 2 of us for the grocery store but you ladies have inspired me to track our grocery store spending, this year. In January we spent $310.35.

The $400 budget includes laundry and cleaning products, paper products, and personal hygiene products, mostly because I'm too lazy to run around buying these things in other places where they might be on sale. (lol) We eat lots of fruit and veg and very few processed foods so I feel that we eat pretty healthy. I also make all our own bread and baked goods.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    The $400 budget includes laundry and cleaning products, paper products, and personal hygiene products, mostly because I'm too lazy to run around buying these things in other places where they might be on sale. (lol) We eat lots of fruit and veg and very few processed foods so I feel that we eat pretty healthy. I also make all our own bread and baked goods.
    My "grocery" budget includes everything we need for the house, ourselves, etc. as well. I agree it's just easier that way. But you must price match right?

I've kind of slacked off in the bread making department but I don't think it saved me much cause we don't buy much bread anyway...
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Last month we were just over $200 which was good but deep down I can admit I would love to see us keep it under $200 every month. But in reality not sure it will happen, is $50/week for 2 people unrealistic?
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, Bronwen, I do price match, but have only been doing that since joining SC, in 2012. I use coupons on items that I would buy anyway. Since we don't buy much that is processed, that means not really using very many coupons and I find that there are enough sales on personal hygiene products like toothpaste and shampoo, that I just buy it when we need them.

Re: the bread making, like you, I don't think we save much but I really like knowing what is going into that bread. My husband can't have whole grains so it means that I make white bread for him and whole wheat for myself. When the bread is made, I slice it and put it in the freezer. We just take out the number of slices we need each day, otherwise it would be way to easy to eat too much of that good bread. lol
    Last edited by Retiree; Fri, Feb 7th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Bronwen likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

SassyAshley, I would love to get down to $50 a week for the two of us but I don't think that is realistic for us since, in our budget, we include all the laundry and cleaning supplies, paper products and personal hygiene products. We also eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg and very little that is processed.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Mar 11th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.
    Retiree likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Actually SA if you multiply 200 x12 and divide by 52 you are only spending 46.15 per week which I think is dirt cheap for 2 people. I think prices will continue to go up and unless you can't afford more, then don't stress and put all your energy into a set number per week or month. My goal is to get the best deals possible and I know it will cost me about 600 per month (give or take) to feed 4 of us well. If I shopped carelessly I am sure that would be at least 800 per month! Of course I know I could feed us for less by eliminating/reducing/lowering the quality of some foods but we live well on this and can afford it. I, like you, enjoy getting good prices on groceries but do not set a firm weekly amount-I would only do this if I was on a very limited budget like social assistance or a very small pension. Just my opinion since you asked if 50 per week is realistic. I think 50 per week would be good for one person but of course it also depends on prices in your area and food preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Last month we were just over $200 which was good but deep down I can admit I would love to see us keep it under $200 every month. But in reality not sure it will happen, is $50/week for 2 people unrealistic?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lecale, your spread sheet is very impressive!
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Ok so i lied. I checked my grocery bills for the past few weeks and I spend about $40-$50 a week on produce. And about $130 a week total (that includes the produce I just mentioned)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I average 120-130 a week for 2 people -but that is stocking up or price matching on laundry soap ,or what ever I am low on at the moment -toilet paper etc-would love to get it down but I also buy a lot of fresh fruit and veggies
    Bronwen likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Forgot to post my Feb total for grocery $427.63....at least quite a bit better than our Jan total of $508. I'm back into baking all our own bread so that has made quite a difference. The grocery prices here have gone through the roof!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well it's just my boyfriend, myself and a dog at home. Food wise we maybe spend $15 a week on groceries and then additional $10-15 a week on household things like toilet paper, soap ect. I find when I comes to meat, the best deal is when whole chickens is expiring at superstore. I can usually pick them up for $6 or less and that will last us the week in terms of protein. I use whatever 50% off vegetables I can find on the racks that day. I live very close to the grocery store so I can stop by every few days to see what half price food they have for me. I find that keeps my cost the lowest
    thriftygranny likes this.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread Information