User Tag List

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: How much do you spend on groceries?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I spend $550 per month for 2 adults and 1 teen and we eat most meals at home. If I had to I could cut this back by preparing more vegetarian meals. We buy lots of fresh fruit and veggies and I often get marked down meat and dairy. I think we could eat healthily for about $100 per week if I was very careful. Similar to the poster who buys roasts I have found I can buy a small ham( about 1 kg) and get lots of meals out of it-cutting up for homemade pizza, thin slicing for sandwiches or ham and eggs, using some for flavour in a pea or bean soup, adding some to scalloped potatoes etc-we can easily make several meals from it and certainly cheaper than the small packages sold as lunch meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella View Post
    I was wondering, how much do you spend (on average) on groceries per week?
    I am just wondering what ours looks like as compared to others.

We spend aprox $90 a week but that includes free range chicken and organic produce.

How about you guys/gals?
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Tue, Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

we average around $50/wk for just my DH and myself.
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That is amazing!! Well done. My husband alone would eat $50 worth but he does run every day so that might be why!

Quote Originally Posted by Lua View Post
    we average around $50/wk for just my DH and myself.

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    That is amazing!! Well done. My husband alone would eat $50 worth but he does run every day so that might be why!
    my hubby eats an insane amt of food too! lol i've just gotten crafty in terms of making everything from scratch to stretch out our $$
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

We spend around $160 per week. But this includes cat food, cat litter, diapers, wipes, h & b items, cleaning supplies etc... There are 4 of us plus I feed 3 school age children dinner 5 days a week (home daycare). I also save about $100 using coupons and maintain a large pantry and freezer stockpile.
    Giseledta and Anna Michele like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I track our grocery bills - for 2011 we spent $116 a week for food for our family (usually five of us, often more people depending on friends our boys drag home lol) I'm happy with this considering the amount the boys can eat. We have our own garden and two large freezers which helps a lot.
    Giseledta and Valerey like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Mine is really variable too...but i do know the last two weeks for sure. We spent $120 last week, and $80 today (predicted...im sending him with a list. Please Pray for me that he comes back with exactly what we decided. hahaha) Have to mention though, that this is because he started us on a new "diet"/healthier eating plan, and we had to get a few things new (almonds, big box of chicken breasts, etc...) so the first week was a bit higher... I try to use what we have often, and get creative. There are only 2 of us, and i'm going to estimate that it's about 200ish per month for all of our food and personal care items (toilet paper, shampoo, etc...) the dog stuff is NOT included in this, as we stocked up big time and havent had to buy in a few months. Also, we're in Winnipeg if that helps your comparason. I like hearing what others are able to do. it's tough to cut it down! i find if i can save lots on my health and beauty type items, that's my best bet at cutting it back. it's REALLY hard to save on food.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yes, mine is definitely an average, if a week has better sales I will stock up that week and buy hardly anything other weeks
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Our grocery bill is usually $200 every two weeks. That is for 4 kids (ages 5-12) and me and DH. We buy a lot of fresh fruit/veggies. I also do a 'big cook' and make meals that I freeze to use for another time.
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

Family of 4- we spend about about 150.00-160.00 per week. I am trying to stay with a 525.00 per month budget, that is hard. I coupon, I buy on sale like this week the tuna fish I bought 40 cans which should last me 3 months I hope. Really started stockpiling food on sale because I am sure everything will go up again this year.
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went to No Frills yesterday for this week's grocery shop. Nothing I bought cost more than $2.50 (lots of dollar sales )
    We spent $52 for two of us. I also bought milk at SDM.
    Giseledta and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

too much, for two of us 50-100 a week. Although sometimes we go two or three weeks without going to the grocery store. Plus it costs $15 in gas to get to the grocery store.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm in NB and for the four of us we spend $300 a month on groceries. That includes diapers, tp, laundry soap, everything.
    That's being frugal .
    Anna Michele likes this.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I think we spend around 300$ a month on groceries (me, DH, and DD) About half of our meat is organic/pastured, and local. We eat mostly at home, and I cook from scratch most of the time I do a lot of canning in the summer and fall which helps too!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tough question.....
    I allot $100 a week, and use only cash. There are just 2 of us....but, I am allergic to many things, wheat and eggs being the killers. Wheat free products are VERY expensive, i must even buy wheat free oatmeal (no cross contamination) and it can run about $5 or $6 a small bag.....Processed food is a big no-no especially with these allergies....everything is homemade. All lunch meats are fresh..and this also means no bags of frozen chicken breasts because of the additives (no kidding, just look at ingredient label). I am hoping to go mostly organic this summer...grow my own veggies and keep fingers crossed about meat--I will at least try to buy grass fed meat with no growth hormones if i can't go entirely organic. I suggest, if you have not already, read "the omnivores dilema" by Micheal polllan....lots of great information to help you understand how animals are grown for our mass consumption.

i can save tons of money on other aspects of my life, food is one thing that i will not compromise on.
    karissadahl likes this.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information