User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: pros and cons homemade laundry detergent?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    180 (100%)

I have used homemade laundry detergent in the past (for years) when my little one had severe skin allergies. We've since been able to switch to ALL fragrance free, but it's only available in the united states. I do huge stock up trips, LOL. Nothing like declaring that I'm bringing 500 loads of detergent home with me.

What I can tell you about homemade laundry soap is that it does work, and your clothes smell like absolutely nothing. But I've noticed a few things that may be helpful:

Borax (and washing soda) doesn't dissolve in cold water, and won't do it's job. You'll get little borax clumps at the bottom of the washer. If you use cold water, you'll need to dissolve your soap in hot water in a shaker bottle first.

Borax can also be an eye/respiratory irritant, and it likes like to go into the air when you 'toss it in'. Keep the cup close to the laundry and don't hang your head over the machine when you do it...I speak from experience.

Washing soda is really quite caustic as well, and it breaks down elastic, roughs up fibres and fades colour. I'm talking some serious fading here. It's better to use baking soda for everyday stuff, and add washing soda IF you have a super dirty load. I wouldn't add it to a dark load at all.

I did use a conventional stain remover (spray n wash) to get out stains.

The homemade stuff does get your clothes your just as clean (and in some cases, cleaner), but it does take some time...which I got really tired of doing...and then I found the ALL....no going back for me
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.
    Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are one of the main reasons I have trust issues.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have found Zote soap at http://www.latortilleria.ca/search?q=zote after a LONG search. They have an online store as well as a physical store in Toronto. The shipping isn't bad. I live in Durham region and don't want to drive into Toronto unless I have to. The cost of shipping was the same as the gas I'd use return. I was able to pick up washing soda in Home Hardware and Borax in my grocery store. I'm about to make my first batch of the detergent shortly.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just to be cautious I have read some stories about home made laundary detergeant causing damage to piped and machines. If I remember correctly it is because it is not being blended enough so that it totally dissolves in the wash and starts to build up. One story in oarticukar I remember was a women who had water damage twice and after the second time they were able to figure out it was because of the build up of home made detergeant in their pipes. You might want to consider researching this to make sure it doesnt happen to u. Just wanted to give you a friendly warning!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pattiprops View Post
    Just to be cautious I have read some stories about home made laundary detergeant causing damage to piped and machines. If I remember correctly it is because it is not being blended enough so that it totally dissolves in the wash and starts to build up. Just wanted to give you a friendly warning!
    All you need to do in that case and run the machine on hot water, add your detergent and make sure it melts and mixes well before changing the water to cold.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by chronosfire View Post
    Any tips on how to get rid of static from using the Norwex dryer balls? I get a lot of cling, and it's driving my husband crazy!

i read online that if you scrunch up a ball of aluminium foil and toss it in with the dryer balls into the dryer it helps with the static. ive never tried it though.

Also it might be wothwhile to note that if you have a front loading HE washing machine you whould use about half as much homemade laundry soap as you would in the old style machines. Make sure that your recipe doesnt have too much suds (too much grated soap not enough borax or washing soda) or the rince cycle will still have soap residue on the walls and your clothes will have soap still on them.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thank you for this thread! Any updates from people using/making homemade laundry detergent? Is it hard on fabric over time compared to commercial detergents? Does anyone prefer using baking soda to the usually-called-for washing soda in their detergent recipes?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I wouldn't say it's harder. And I wouldn't use substitute baking soda for the washing soda. The washing soda is a bit stronger, where the baking soda would just soften the water.

Having said that, I went back to using detergent. The homemade detergent left a film around the top of laundry tub that's difficult to clean and remove.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I make the dry laundry soap at home and I buy laundry soap also. I will use my home made soap for rugs,or blankets ,sheets and tend to use the bought soap for clothes. I would think that the store laundry soap has more chemicals than the home made stuff. Look at those soap pods that they sell ughhhhhh so full of chemicals that they are telling us to keep them well away from children because there very harmful.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    Look at those soap pods that they sell ughhhhhh so full of chemicals that they are telling us to keep them well away from children because there very harmful.
    I don't think the detergent inside the pods would be any more or less dangerous than powdered or liquid detergent, just that it would be easier for a little kid to grab and put in his mouth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information