User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Line drying laundry

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalKris View Post
    I just put my laundry on rack to dry in my house - might take a day or two but oh well - not a huge fan of drying and i know it saves money

If you want the clothes to dry faster, there are a few things you can do.

Move your drying rack outside on a nice day.
    Quick drying clothes can be close to done in an hour or two.
    Do watch for tip-overs though.

You can park you can park the drying rack over a heating vent or a safe distance from another heat source that you are already using.

Another trick is to position a fan or two near the wet laundry on the rack.
    Last edited by greencanuck; Mon, Mar 26th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

I love hanging clothes on the line, especially sheets! DH hates the feeling, so I usually do it when he's not home (he sails during the summer months). I always do a shake of each piece of clothing before I even think of folding it, I'm super afraid of bugs so I don't want anything crawling out...lol

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I had an umbrella clothesline at my old house, loved the fresh smell! Moved to a condo/apartment so we bought a fold up hanger from Ikea, it doesn't hold nearly as much Only thing I don't like is how stiff everything gets. But it's been 6 months of trying to get our landlord to fix the dryer, so its a guarantee we'll be using the hanger!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love hanging clothes out to dry...can't understand why some subdivisions won't allow it, it's great for the environment, and cuts down on energy costs. I know seasonal allergies can be a problem, was told due to allergies, not to hang clothes outside anymore.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have a a clothes hanger thing downstairs where our laundry area is. I don't think in our area we are allowed to do it outside??? But I do hang dry our clothes and then I put them in the dryer for maybe like 2-4 minutes just to fluff them up a bit. Save major money on dryer bill lol.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Fri, Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saveadollardiva View Post
    I have a a clothes hanger thing downstairs where our laundry area is. I don't think in our area we are allowed to do it outside???
    No longer the case !!
    As of April 2008, the Ontario government passed a law that gives everyone the right to hang laundry outdoors.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_080097_e.htm

http://hamilton.openfile.ca/hamilton...hey-being-used
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Im one of the few around here *without* a laundry line. I do have laundry lines hung in my basement though. We just moved in here 2 months ago so we hope to get an outside line up soon. Until then at least the cloth diapers can sun out on the balcony

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the info greencaucks so if anyone gives me a hard time I will just give them this printout LOL
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Thu, Apr 19th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really can't understand why would some state ban the use of clothesline when we've got tons of reasons why we should use one and only one reason why we shouldn't... aesthetics. Clothesline can save us money with our electric bills, and saves the environment from greenhouse gas emissions. As for me, I don't see nothing wrong with using clothesline and I use it myself. I think the only ones that can really be aesthetically affected by these clothesline would be the commercial district and most of us don't live there so why should they ban it for an entire state? I am totally against those bans and I hope they would allow it to all residential areas. -Lara
    Last edited by lara_schz; Wed, Dec 12th, 2012 at 04:56 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lara_schz View Post
    I really can't understand why would some state ban the use of clothesline when we've got tons of reasons why we should use one and only one reason why we shouldn't... aesthetics.
    But a lot of those by-laws were put in place at a time when electricity wasn't as expensive and aesthetics was more important. A different time and different solutions. (I once worked in a highrise building that when it was built in the 60s, the builder/owner decided it was cheaper to leave the lights on 24 hours a day than to buy light switches for every floor to turn them off.)

A lot of these by-laws are being changed if enough residents demand it. In a lot of cases, and with present sentiments on the subject, municipalities won't issue fines even if the bylaw hasn't changed.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lara_schz View Post
    I really can't understand why would some state ban the use of clothesline when we've got tons of reasons why we should use one and only one reason why we shouldn't... aesthetics. Clothesline can save us money with our electric bills, and saves the environment from greenhouse gas emissions. As for me, I don't see nothing wrong with using clothesline and I use it myself. I think the only ones that can really be aesthetically affected by these clothesline would be the commercial district and most of us don't live there so why should they ban it for an entire state? I am totally against those bans and I hope they would allow it to all residential areas. -Lara
    We don't have a ban on clotheslines in our area and, if we did, I would fight it for sure.....

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I never every use my dryer, I love putting the clothes outside especially the smell in the winter smells better than any fabric softener in my opinion.
    pippinelkhound likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

For those of you who are finding the stiffness after clothes dry - I'd advise to stop using the dryer to "fluff" them up and instead put a tablespoon or two of vinegar in the rinse cycle. Its a natural way to soften the clothes and it helps remove some of the soapy residue of laundry detergents. Your clothes still come out smelling clean and won't smell like a fish n' chips shop

I currently hang dry all our laundry in our apartment (no balcony) from about September to April-ish. I can't do it in the summer or when it gets hot here because it would make the place even more humid.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I really don't like hanging my clothes outside. It whitens the clothes, which I only like with my whites, but don't like with any other colours. It really aggravates my allergies and I end up sneezing all day long.

That being said, most of my clothes are hang or lay flat to dry. I hang my clothes inside, so I see the reduction in the energy bill all year long.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I am so jealous of all of you who can dry your clothes outside! I used to absolutely hate hanging up the 2-3 loads outside at my mom's house, but now I wish I had that choice. I live in an apartment building with my bf, facing the back of a bank and a main street/intersection. There is no way I'm hanging anything outside, but we don't use the dryer! In fact, the dryer in our building doesn't dry...just takes the money and spits out damp clothes. We have a rack from Ikea that fits 2 loads. I set that rack up in the office room, open the window, and close the door so as not to make the house too cold in the winter. The clothes still smell of the fresh air, and the heating is included in the cost so even if it does get cool with the open window, we just crank up the heat. Per week, we do about 3 loads. That's $4.50 in dryer fees Still...I cannot WAIT to move out and hang my clothes out to dry lol!
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information