User Tag List

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hey everyone. I was contacted my a local cat org to take a farel cat workshop to be a caretaker of farel cats in my area. Does anyone else do this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

no. I would do this if I had my full license (only on my G1 so far) as I have loads of experience with animals in the past. Also, I would not do this unless it was a TNR type program otherwise its slightly pointless.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I'm taking the course so I can TNR and not have to pay for it out of my own pocket. The only issuse like you is that I dont have my divers license.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Is there a specific group that contacted you? I'm curious as I know there are loads of kitty groups where you are but not so many here, instead we have the killing factory (SPCA - used to work there)

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Is there a specific group that contacted you? I'm curious as I know there are loads of kitty groups where you are but not so many here, instead we have the killing factory (SPCA - used to work there)
    Is it just the Aurora SPCA that euthanizes? I asked my SPCA if they euthanized and they said only if they were very sick or completely unadoptable. (I assume that means "unfriendly" ferals)
    One of my personal cats was feral and she's the nicest cat I've ever come across AND I had another feral Barn cat adopt us a few weeks ago. I couldn't keep him and took him to our SPCA a week ago. When I called, they said they'd given him all the shots/deworming/flea treatment and they let him walk around the offices. He's the Second nicest cat I've come across

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Its the Newmarket SPCA - where the provincial offices are. Remember that ringworm outbreak where they mass killed everything and refused everyones help for the longest time? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they were mass euthanizing prior to the news break.

I also hate to be so negative but the SPCA in newmarket in which I worked told everyone the same crap lies you were told. Not saying they were lies but having worked in two shelters I've heard everything they tell the public. To be honest if someone surrendered their animal at either place it never even got a cage ... it went straight to the vet clinic and then straight to the freezer. Harsh i know but its the reality of it and there just isn't enough cage space and even if there is euthanizing is cheaper then fixing, vaccinating, microchipping and everything else an animal. Now that being said dogs are on a completely different scale when it comes to shelters.

Unfortunately there just isn't enough time in the day for shelter workers to work with a feral cat or to bottle feed a orphaned kitten so instead they are just euthanized so that healthy friendly cats can be adopted quicker. In out in out, as quick as possible.

I mean when someone calls to check in on an animal they dropped off (surrendered or found) the staff is hardly going to tell you flat out that it was euthanized ... or that it has some deathly sickness and is being pumped full of various medications and liquids.

Some shelters are different and are actually good ... I just have yet to come across one. After being "behind the scenes" I know what to look for now when visiting other shelters to tell if the animals are being properly taken care of. THS? No, not in my opinion.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I don't mean to be negative its just I think people have high expectations of shelters and don't actually know what goes on behind closed doors. Either that or people know and pretend or try not to think about it.

I don't agree with euthanizing as a means to save money (heck we brought in a stray last year 24 hours from death and 5k later he is doubled his weight and curled up on our couch currently!) but its unfortunately one of many means of population control and there isn't many other options for a shelter. Which is why people need to fix their animals.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I hear you. . .It's a sad world. I guess I better go and check in on him in person. Although they commented on his nice personality, so I don't think they'd go to such lengths if they wanted to euthanize. They even said he got along well with the other cats . . .?

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Maybe they are telling the truth - hopefully!!

I've heard there are good shelters out there ... I just have yet to come across one. I find there are a lot of "rescues" that seem to be doing a lot more worse then good, atleast in the area I am.

Thread Information