• 1 Post By K8's Fate
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By K8's Fate
  • 1 Post By slayer_glade

Thread: Rant on URL links changed to word links

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Expired
    Here's a pet peeve I have about how links are sometimes posted.

It frustrates me when someone changes the URL of a link that they are posting to be a word instead. I browse SC on an iPad, and I can't "hover" over links to see if the the link path is legit. I get that users want their link paths to look more simplified by changing them to a word, but I will never follow these links because I may be at risk for viruses, spam, etc.

I realize that this may not even be an issue for users on PCs, but it's so frustrating not knowing if I can trust the link that's posted. How do other tablet and mobile users feel about these link changes?
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple
    torontogal12 likes this.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I only use a PC, and I totally agree. Often, I will reply with my thanks, then post the full URL.
    K8's Fate likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I only use a PC, and I totally agree. Often, I will reply with my thanks, then post the full URL.
    This is a great idea! I'm too chicken to click the link on an iPad though, as I can't hover over it to see its path.

Imo, it should be a rule to post only direct URL links
    Natalka likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just to make sure I am following you.. You do not like people who do this (by the way, the link is for Smart Canucks homepage!). You would rather have someone post http://forum.smartcanucks.ca.

I do see your point in one way, personally I think it might be the fact that some links are 18 miles long and so members try and save space on the forum by doing it the first way. I know I am "guilty" of this, but then again, I do not have an IPad or anything and so when I am on the computer or laptop, the link will show on the bottom of my screen when I hover around it. I do the same thing in emails too, to make sure I know where I am being sent to before clicking!

Never thought of it being an issue on mobile devices but will keep that in mind for future postings! I just hope no one complains when I post a mile long link!!! Like this one: http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=c...w=1024&bih=647. All that just to direct you to Smart Canucks on Google!
    Missing my Best Friend since 1971. RIP Lynda (1947-2012)

Have Questions About Internet Marketing? ASK ME!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you not like it when the links are posted like words on the forum or the internet overall?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Generally if I'm hyperlinking an article I'll write like Titanic memorial cruise sets sail. So people know what I'm posting about and generally a 2 or 3 line quote showing what the article is about. But then I normally use trusted sites like the BBc or CBC. If I post a link where it has risque content I'll it as NSFW/NSFC .

Titanic memorial cruise sets sail

Relatives of some who died on the Titanic are on a voyage to the North Atlantic site where the liner sank, to mark 100 years since the disaster.
    MS Balmoral has left Southampton docks, retracing the route of the ill-fated cruise liner's maiden voyage.
    The ship, carrying 1,309 passengers - the same number as were on the Titanic - is due to reach the wreck site next weekend for a memorial ceremony.
    So my posts look like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Me too, even on my phone I can see the link by checking the URL so if it from someone I dont know to trust, I click copy URL on the linked words and then paste it in and check it before clicking GO

I hate when the links take up the whole page, and on SC they are shortened with a ... which people copy to other threads then whine their links dont work
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I guess it's just that there's so much spam, referral links and virus being disguised this way that it's difficult and/or time consuming on tablets when you're not sure if you can trust the poster.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I honestly don't care, lol.

I have an iPhone and can check URLs easily. Can't iPads do the same thing? o_O

You just 'click' and hold until the popup comes up asking you to open/open in new page/add/copy. The URL is displayed just above the open button.
    K8's Fate likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by slayer_glade View Post
    I honestly don't care, lol.

I have an iPhone and can check URLs easily. Can't iPads do the same thing? o_O

You just 'click' and hold until the popup comes up asking you to open/open in new page/add/copy. The URL is displayed just above the open button.
    Aww.. Thank you!!
    It shows some of the URL (referral links would still get through).
    It's sort of like "hover!" I wish a tablet/iPhone user told me this months ago!!
    Thank again

P.S. How can I expire this thread (on the updated SC) now that my Rant has been solved by slayer_glade?
    Last edited by K8's Fate; Sun, Apr 8th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hehe, you're welcome. I'm always using that feature since I prefer things in a new window (I'm odd that way ).

I think only certain sections of the site have the expire button. What I did last time was report my own first post and just typed in a message asking it to be expired/deleted and it got done.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Only deals and things that actually expire have an expire link
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Thread Information