User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By anastasia1009
  • 1 Post By Midnightly

Thread: Are you on unemployement? Please help...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

so I just started taking unemployement, I live in Montreal, Quebec and I received a letter today saying that they are summoning a meeting to help me participate in a job search assistance activity to help me enter the labour market....

& that if I can't attend, to leave them a message..

I'm just wondering if this is a regular thing that they send and do I HAVE to attend? will it affect my benefits in any way whether I attend or not?

they do mention that they will be informing the person in charge of my employement inssurance file of this help they are offering me...

Please let me know...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Maybe it depends on where you live, but being on unemployment in my area does mean that one has to be actively searching for work. I don't understand why you would not want to attend such a meeting....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Attend the meeting; I don't see anything wrong with that... even if they offer you a job; you have a right to choose (or not to), depending on the kind of work, & whatever retraining they are giving you..
    After all - what's your intention "to stay at home collecting EI" or "to re-train & get employed probably at a much higher pay than you were receiving before"

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashedfc View Post
    you have a right to choose (or not to), depending on the kind of work, & whatever retraining they are giving you..
    You need to have a legit reason for refusing a job offer, or they can refuse benefits.

If you don't go to the meeting they can refuse you benefits. By receiving benefits you are expected to be 'ready, willing and able' to work at all times. There are checks in place to determine if you are fulfulling their requirements.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by antidoll View Post
    so I just started taking unemployement, I live in Montreal, Quebec and I received a letter today saying that they are summoning a meeting to help me participate in a job search assistance activity to help me enter the labour market....

& that if I can't attend, to leave them a message..

I'm just wondering if this is a regular thing that they send and do I HAVE to attend? will it affect my benefits in any way whether I attend or not?

they do mention that they will be informing the person in charge of my employement inssurance file of this help they are offering me...

Please let me know...
    Yes, it's totally normal and you should attend.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you for the replies everyone <3 I will attend the meeting... I just don't want them to give me a job at a lower salary than I used to make.. I wanna take my time before going into the work force again..

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It sounds like they just want to make sure that you have all the skills you need for a sucessful jobhunt. My husband scheduled a meeting like this for himself after he was having a hard time finding work. For him it was a waste of time, just because he wasn't the type of person they were used to dealing with coming in and looking for help. They gave him some useful websites that he didn't know about. It was also something he could tell EI if they asked about what he had done to try to find work. It was a bit of a confidence booster though when the agent told him that there was nothing wrong with his resume, and he had the right job hunting skills, it was just the area. He ended up now working part-time in a kitchen, not ideal, but we are moving in less than two months to an area where there is work. It's so hard to have to move around all the time for work .

I hope you meeting goes well and they provide you with some new information to help you on your job hunt.

I know for us it kind of sucked that my spouse made more money on EI than he does working, but you have to take what you can get. Being at home all the time searching for work was driving him crazy while I was out working full time. I hope our next move is better for both of us.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

In 1998, Hamilton, ON-EI recipients did get invitations to attend such a meeting at a downtown location. The instructor gave us workbooks and he explained how EI reports worked (what to do, when to report, income to report and what you could and could not do while on EI). Plus, he did give us some information about employment resources through the federal goverment at that time. You won't get too much new stuff but if being on EI is your first time, think of the meeting as an introduction on how to do your reports and how to keep track of your job search activities.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

First time I went on EI when I was living in Ottawa I went and they gave you hints and sites to find jobs. Plus they tell you to have a detailed job search of everyone you talk to you and send resumes to by email/fax or in person just in case you are called back in to make sure you are looking for a job. Always keep a record of your job searches I have it in an excel spread sheet that my employment counselor gave to me. Also to see if you qualify for job retraining like Second Careers. If you were laid off you might be eligible for that. They also have resume classes etc all to help you.
    I am on EI again and I went through the resume, job skills classes very helpful.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

it's many moons ago for me but i remember when i was collecting unemployment they are more so just to help you for the job hunt, interview skills, talking about presentation, how to interview, resumes and updating be sure to bring a up to date resume and you may have someone go over it with you...
    matrix82 likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

For antidoll and all other SCers following the EI debate and what is done at the job search seminars, please read this letter to the editor who did contract work. She remembers what the main message of the seminars was. How eerie is it that the message still applies today?
    http://www.thespec.com/opinion/lette...d-ei-to-get-by

2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information