User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Err'd at people stealing groceries on the bottom rack of the cart

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

In last few months i have found on 2 occassions people stealing things on the bottom of their shopping cart. Once was at FoodBasics (pop cases) and another at WM(dog food). The WM incident was the most recent... a lady and man had a full buggy and had a bag of dog food on the bottom of the cart. They caught our attention with the coupons in their hand and the number of flyers they had for pm's. never did the dog food come out to get scanned. We watched as the man unpacked and lady pm'ed and used coupons. I Know i should have mentioned something but the cashiers switched employees and i didn't want to create drama as its a smaller community. This was not a cheap bag i later checked costing near $40.

I know this isn't limited to dog food and pop but how would you deal with such a situation... I know its not my job to be a store LP but this does erk me the wrong way.
    This thread is currently associated with: Food Basics
    Last edited by dariusz8; Mon, Apr 30th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Deal Hunter
    Trading Score
    72 (100%)

Maybe they made an honest mistake? I know this happend to me once at Walmart, when I got to the car I realized what I did and went back in to pay for it.

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

not saying it doesn't happen but it was obvious that they knew about what they were doing. It was a huge bag and they did try to conceal the cart from the cashiers view quickly placing bagged groceries overtop. It was the first thing they packed into there car out doors.

We know others that were friends and did also do this once when we were carpooling... we refuse to shop with them as a result. So i know it does happen both intentionally, and not.

Is there any nice way of bringing it to a stores attention? without creating an argument with the customer
    Last edited by dariusz8; Mon, Apr 30th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

When I worked at WM we saw it often and even had meetings how to prevent it and how to warn the greeter at the front door about it. If we were working and we saw it happening we were suppose to quietly talk to the greeter and then when the person got to the greeter they would check the receipt. Then if they still don't go back to pay for it according to WM once out the door its stealing and cops can be called and not until they are out the door.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Just make a friendly comment, "did you need help lifting the dog food for the cashier?", or "don't forget the dog food!", by not saying something it hurts the company's bottom line, which is reflected in price increases!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

employees should be paying more attention,
    i cannot tell u how many times ive had BOB and LISA drilled into my head from different companies ive worked for.

your always supposed to check for bob and lisa

BOB- Botton of Buggy
    LISA - Look inside Always
    mydusty, KK7, Eva-M and 3 others like this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

yup bob it is at Food Basic's it is the cashiers that are suppose to ask each customer is there anything on the bottom I can help you with......I hate asking since I have gotton my head bitten off more then once...but God made me tall so I always do a quick peer thing...I love it look see a case of water on the bottom and say how many water sometimes they seem shocked that I was paying attention. But as metioned above it is your right and duty to say something the prices go up in the store you shop because that 40.00 dog food walked out without being payed for
    bluzsuz likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Cashiers are supposed to BoB and LISA it up, but if you notice that the customer isn't making a comment when they greet the cashier, or when the transaction is finishing up and they haven't noticed, it doesn't hurt to say anything.

At my Loblaws the cashiers were supposed to load the cart or at the very least put the last bag in to check. LP also always called cashiers when a parent with a stroller would get in line with things in the bottom of it, and try to give a descriptive list of what they had put under it.
    bluzsuz likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

If you want to bring it to the cashiers attention and don't want to be scrutinized for it, casually bring it up in conversation? If it's dog food, ask the people what they think of that dog food, tell them you're considering switching to that brand but you weren't sure. Nobody has to know you're telling the truth or even that you don't have a dog, and the cashier will have it brought to her attention when you do! Win/Win.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would have said something...but then I'm comfortable with stuff like that. If you know it would bother you later, just mention it matter-of-factly, worse that could happen is the thief shoots you the evil eye. Sometimes it really is an honest mistake and then the customer would likely be thankful you said something.

With coupons, I think the onus should be on the customer to use them correctly, and for the cashier to confirm that they are right. With items in the cart, it should be both parties: the customer should be aware of what is in the cart, and the cashier should always check because that is part of their job. Just like asking to see a bill for something that you never rung through...I had no problem asking to see a bill, even though some cashiers were afraid of incurring the customer's wrath by doing so. That's another point, I find a lot of newer cashiers are either afraid of confrontation or they simply don't care or know to check.

The worst was when customers put different codes on the bulk items, like jujube code for mixed nuts. I got really good at memorizing the bulk codes and would charge them for the right thing without telling them. Hopefully they were home before they found out they paid $20 for that huge bag of mixed nuts rather than the $4 they wanted to pay.
    AmberLab and krysta lynne like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dariusz8 View Post
    Is there any nice way of bringing it to a stores attention? without creating an argument with the customer
    I wouldn't worry about creating an argument with the customer. What are they gonna do? Yelling at you will just make them look guilty. If it's an honest mistake, they'll probably thank you for saving the embarrassment of being chased by loss prevention or a greeter on their way out.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Grocery stores are already covered with security cameras so I'm sure the store sees it eventually. Can't hardly wait until the day they've all got built in security scanner systems in the doorway like in every clothing/retail joint on this continent. It will happen. They may not be able to track the produce going out, but there are bar codes on everything else. Those things are coming....

Such a dishonest world we live in.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Question.....were you right there beside them in line, or is this something you observed? A lot of the stores have the codes for products like pop, cat litter, dog food.....things that are heavy, on a sheet of paper at the til so that they do not have to lift the item off the belt and scan it or leave the cash to walk around and scan the item with the hand held scanner.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

If it is Food Basic's even IF IF they have a sheet they HAVE to sticker it

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    15 (94%)

I've seen people do this as well, and it's such a tricky situation, because some people will immediately jump down your throat if you sound like you're suggesting they were going to steal it in any way.

But I like the idea of asking how a certain brand of pet food is. Which would also work with pop (some times), but definitely not with things like water!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information