User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Loblaws throwing out good food!!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Just got back from Loblaws. There is a box full of NoName pecan pieces bags in liquidation area and lady asked guy how much it is. Guy scans and its around $7. He looks at expiry date and all of them is near end of April. Sorry, we can't sell. Lady says reduce it and I will buy. Sorry, we can't sell, we have to throw them away. Can you give them away for free? Sorry, no.

I wish I have the guts to dumpster dive at Loblaws, LOL.
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws
    Last edited by couponmummy; Tue, May 1st, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
    bluzsuz likes this.

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

That's sad! And I'm sure there is tons more that we never see that gets pitched.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^I understand they have they have to throw it out because of expiry date, if they didn't people would complain. BUT I think they should have an area were they say that it is reduced due to expiry so people can then make the judgement call as to buying it or not. I hate when food that is still good goes to waste! Not just because people can buy it, but also because there are so many people out there in the world hungry with no money to buy food! They should at least donate it to a shelter and see if it can be used.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, May 1st, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I watched (I don't know the name of the show, but it was something along the lines of Cheapskates or the Cheapest People on America-it's on TLC). Anyway, there is American "store" that takes expired food and sells it for bargain prices. Interesting to watch.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If you saw the amount of waste ( food and other items) that happens at most store, you would almost never believe it.
    When I worked retail, I went to extreme efforts to change procedure so that far less went into landfill.
    There are many factors about why this happens, but the waste loads of perfectly good stuff is immense.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I saw that show. I would buy expired stuff at reduced prices but won't buy expired cheese and make pizza for the kids that she was babysitting.
    Patty Smyth and mckbutterfly like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I know a lot of restaurants will through out good food and not give them away, otherwise there will be a whole slew of hobos outside and it's not good for business.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good for them, in a way, for being careful about expiry dates! There are often threads on here about people who purchase items without checking the expiry dates, then complain because something is wrong with the items.

Yes, of course, there is waste from stores - but they have rules for health and safety reasons.
    SFARAZ, DaveP, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

The stores used to donate day old breads to the Food bank but then people would bring back items for a refund saying they just bought the items. People went too far and spoiled it for everyone. They had good intentions, but with so many regulations and rules they have to watch out for complaints. Its such a shame and such a bad waste. I mean their bakeries alone throw away products that are still good for a week but protocol is protocol and they are not big on change. Sadly its about the bottom line.
    I mean if they had a method of scanning out what they donated to the Food bank then if someone tried to return it for a credit it would come up once scanned as that item and problem solved but no they would rather abandon the whole plan.
    FallenPixels likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

This is what I read a while back that there are some stores that will sell expired lunch meat and cheese. They cut off the moldy part, repackage it and then sell them again. Vomitrocious.
    LifeisBeautiful likes this.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

that is such a waste of food

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Unfortunately, since people will sue them if they get sick from eating it, I completely agree with them doing it.
    The same as food banks wont take it because they would be responsible for giving the expired food to a person etc
    SFARAZ, xox2010, Gazpache and 3 others like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I saw that episode and I wouldn't go that far lol. Like common? Expired cheese? Like i think it was like a month old. That is pushing it

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

They throw stuff out to avoid lawsuits. My friend used to work at a cafeteria. Big company you would recognize. She gave all the leftover food one night to homeless people. Managers found out and she got fired.

They told her that if one of those people got sick they could sue the company, so the company would rather throw the food away then deal with that.

Some places do donate their food to Second Harvest. Great charity. Google it.
    SFARAZ, SavenRaven, RSAS and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There was another show on tv that had people going through garbage in New York City for food. I think they called it 'Freeganism'. It was really interesting to watch what they found in the grocery stores' garbage bags and how much is still very edible. Such a wasteful society we live in!
    wolfwoman likes this.
    Want Free Gift Cards? Join me at SWAGBUCKS!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bekki3

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information