User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 5 gifts mom doesn't want for Mother's Day

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Ah, Mother's Day, that one day of the year when we do special things to show Mom how much we appreciate the efforts she makes the other 364 days to keep the house running, the kids clothed, the finances balanced, the horses brushed, the cows milked ...

Sorry, got carried away for a moment there.

The point is that being a mother is hard work. Sure, June Cleaver made it look easy, what with the pressed white apron, the freshly baked pan of cookies and the morsels of pithy maternal wisdom, but she had writers and stagehands. Your mom has, if she's lucky, a maid who comes in twice a week and NEVER remembers to wash the baseboards.

So it's important that you get the right gift for the woman who brought you into this world. You need something that will show her just how much you love her, what you think of her and how much she means to you.
    link here
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    GeorgiaK likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I must be in the minority, because I'd love to get a new purse (Prada or Coach - hey a mom can dream) or new appliances (I've been eyeing a Keurig forever now, and I would have loved to get a kitchenaid mixer if I didnt get it for myself at Zellers after Christmas).

Oh and lingere is good, only if your dh gets it for you. My dear kids would get me sleepwear that had Disney characters or Hello Kitty all over it (not that its a bad thing..... )
    Last edited by DiamondLil; Thu, May 10th, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot something!!!
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I too would also love a new Coach purse! Totally a great gift in my eyes. And the make over? YES PLEASE! Seems like ever since I had my kids, I haven't had the time or money to hit a salon and have a nice pamper day. I've been in heaven if I got that for a gift.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

hubby's very first holiday gift to me was a food processor.

yup, 11 yrs later i still make complain about it and make fun of him for it, complete with reenactment of his idiotic comments when i opened it up and saw that i was being given an appliance.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's definitely diff'rent strokes time...

I would love a cookbook - to add to my collection of Company's Coming, especially!

A purse would be awesome - both my son and husband know my taste well - and, no, it's not a designer purse. My current one is lime green, so I just know the next one will be bright purple.

Makeover - wouldn't bother me, but I don't need it, and they know it's not something I would want.

Lingerie - well, it wouldn't bother me to get pjs or a nightshirt from my son, the wholesome type. However, he knows I don't wear them, lol! (not that he's seen anything!)

Appliances - well, the coveted KitchenAid mixer would rock my sox! Tangerine, of course, that's well known in our home!

That said, I know I will be getting none of these, lol!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Thank heavens for Cake wrecks....possibly NSFW/C....

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Name:  i-d492ZvX-X2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  47.0 KB

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Sounds about right for me! My perfect gift..some comfy pj's, a hot cup of coffee, a new book, some bath oils and an hour or two in a hot bath alone please. (Is it very mom-ish of me to put the emphasis on alone? DH doesn't get that sometimes.) That all said - I know so far because the practical side of me picked it out, that I am getting a slew of wormwood plants and Painted Daisies.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

on mothers day all i want is to sleep in until 3 pm...wake up, eat ice cream still on my pj's (i want to see the house empty... no kids no husband no noise) living, dining and kitchen sweep, and mopped .... Tv channel on Telelatino so i can watch my telenovela (La reina del sur....) i missed a couple of episodes... then around 7pm husband and kids come home with dinner ready to be served by husband of course now THAT will be awesome....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

oh man, sorry mum... *hides cookbook*

it's coming with a pestle & mortar which offers some consolation BUT nearly everything on that list she's received from us over the years, minus the lingerie of course. too funny.
    Last edited by lotus; Thu, May 10th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
    i_love_to_save likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

geesh who wrote that article? i'd love another new purse.. dh and ds have so far picked two winners for me (past christmases); a new hand blender would be awesome (stand mixer is only a pipe dream lol); a makeover doesn't have to be intense - even a gc for a haircut is awesome.... now what i don't want is jewelry... can't stand wearing it, i don't even wear my wedding rings
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

So the snazzy new 4 slice toaster I had picked out isn't a good idea?

Kidding. Coming up on our 16th anniversary this summer - I'd have been in the grave long ago if I bought gifts like that.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

can't remember the last time I wore my wedding ring. Probably the last time I was doing immigration stuff..

As for the gifts

cookbooks....love'em. The more unusual the better.

purse...not too bothered. I tend to prefer shoving stuff in pockets but women's clothes with pockets are rare.

make-overs....maybe yes, maybe no....depends how i feel at the time. a massage and a mani-pedi would be fun. I'm not too sure about anything else.

lingerie....the article puts a nice set of pjs into the same catergory as a dominatrix kit...the former i wouldn't mind getting from the kids, the latter from Mr Penguin.

appliances...again, it depends.There's some i'd love and others I'd wonder who I was living with if they thought I'd want that....

Chocolate leaves me cold for the most part. I've just started wearing ear-rings again after 13 years of stopping small fingers pulling them out.

I'd rather the Penguinettes and Mr Penguin bought me something small I wanted rather than a large flashy, see how much this cost present.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, May 10th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    geesh who wrote that article? i'd love another new purse.. dh and ds have so far picked two winners for me (past christmases); a new hand blender would be awesome (stand mixer is only a pipe dream lol); a makeover doesn't have to be intense - even a gc for a haircut is awesome.... now what i don't want is jewelry... can't stand wearing it, i don't even wear my wedding rings
    Me too! Only jewellery I wear is the hoop earrings I never take out. Only wear my wedding ring on special occasions. When DH married me he thought geez..she doesn't like jewellery, perfume, or flowers and those are the go-to gifts. That only leaves chocolate and even that doesn't work these days. (He moved on to giving me mostly books and electronics.)

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

my main grudge is that my birthday falls on or around Mother's Day so I have to come up with 2 lots of acceptable gifts in close succession...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information