User Tag List

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Has anyone registered themselves as a business for mystery shopping?

I am making some pretty decent money and someone was telling me that if I registered as a business that there are tax write offs for mileage, home business, utilities etc.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

What specifically are you registering for? The write offs are available regardless. They relate to income tax. YOu do not have to be "registered" to pay tax (LOL).

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As a mystery shopper I have been deducting my expenses such as ink, paper, Internet, Faxes, and mileage and have not had a problem. I am not registered as a business either.

ellis123
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

If you work for companies out of the USA you also need to make a minimum of $500 a year before they send you an income slip to put into your taxes.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RMurp007 View Post
    As a mystery shopper I have been deducting my expenses such as ink, paper, Internet, Faxes, and mileage and have not had a problem. I am not registered as a business either.
    Apparently (not sure of how accurate this info is that is why I am posting here) that if you have a registered business # and you run your business through your home then you can claim part of your heating, mileage, etc. as a tax deduction. Where do you claim your expenses on your income tax?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Make sure you check your car insurance, to claim mileage, depending on what province you are in, you need to have the correct insurance. In Manitoba, you must have all purpose insurance to claim the mileage and car expenses. Yes, you can claim either the square footage of the area you have your business in, or do it by the number of rooms. You are allowed, meals, parking, office supplies, office equipment. Heating, utilities, cleaning supplies, telephone, mobile phone, internet, electricity, and if you go to the income tax site, you can find out exactly what else you can use. A good rule of thumbs is "If you use it for your business, you can use it as a tax deduction."

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Thank you Cecileam. Now I wonder if it is worth it? Would the tax deductions be beneficial enough to go that route?

Thread Information