User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Advice needed. Neighbor child with serious dry cough

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I contacted the school when my son told me a girl had lice for 3 months, her dad was an alcoholic and was abusive towards her. The school took very quick action. When the welfare of a child is involved, they take action. Schools don't want something bad to happen and then the media finds out they knew but did nothing.
    Lynn49 likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with contacting the school principal or counselor about this young girl. Dave, thank you for looking out for her Sometimes it takes just one adult to make a difference in a child's life.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I called the principal and told her my concerns about this child earlier today. The principal is a good person, when my 8 year old boy (9 now) was being bullied by an older kid last fall I called her and she put a stop to it right away. As avoncallingu said, because I'm not the parent the school can't discuss another child with me. But she listened, and I believe I've left this in good hands. I hope she gets the medical attention I think she needs.
    Last edited by DaveP; Tue, May 22nd, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Ah...good for you, Dave...that little girl is so fortunate to have you in her corner, whether she knows or not...she's blessed having you there for her. I hope the principal looks into it, but as you say, she's a good one for listening, so I'm sure something will come of it. We hope!
    gameprogirl and Insane like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Oh Dave! Thanks for doing this! Hopefully all will be well for this girl!
    gameprogirl, Insane and DaveP like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's great! It's really hard to know what is going on and no one can make assumptions but at least this can be in the hands of someone who can look into this further either through a school nurse, asking the parents to bring the child to the doctor to treat the cough because of concern for the child and other children, or calling authorities if necessary. The cough may or may not be an issue at school, it all depends on the cause- allergies? asthma? poor air quality in the home (cleanliness, pet, smoking)? infection? reflux? I also hope that the guardians have the means to pay for the meds if necessary. Poor kid could be having a hard time sleeping too.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Found links in Nova Scotia that may help you to share information or be aware of community organizations:
    http://novascotia.ca/hpp/healthy_development/
    http://www.gov.ns.ca/coms/families/FamilyandYouth.html
    http://www.gov.ns.ca/coms/families/P...rChildren.html

One good thing that the girl has is an adult that is considering her situation--it is possible that the adults in the home have to get outside support. I am wondering for the girl's grandmother too-maybe she needs help with the kids or funds or even help with her own needs.

By being aware of her need, you are helping to shape her mindset about how there are different ways to see things in life (rising above one's raising perhaps and understanding some adults know what other adults don't know about being a child, caring, and asking for help). I would think that there are many child programs/services accessible for kids under 12 or so and then it gets harder to find support.

It would be great if there was a Boys and Girls type club for your kids and the other two kids to have somewhere to go during the summer or share peer fun times. Summer library reading programs are another idea if the library is nearby-meet the grandmother, see if she'd like to come on the outing, and get the kids into books.

I remember that I found out about other experiences through other kids' parents-i.e. bowling for a birthday party, a summertime children's puppet show at a museum we never went to as a family, and a remote-controlled airplane meeting outdoors with the father of twins that we knew.

Last edited by Ciel; Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Lynn49 and DaveP like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information