User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Update on kitchen - counter tops installed today

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

See post number 3 for the most recent update. The countertops were installed today, I'm soooo happy it's all looking so great!
    Yep, that right, I'm finally going to redo my kitchen . I usually go south to Texas every winter with dh because due to the nature of some of my disabilities, winter and I don't get along very well. This year, we have decided not to go. Mainly because our youngest DD really needs us here, to lean on us and to help her through the tuff moments she will have in the future. We don't mind (my body may but I don't).

Anyway, when we purchased our condo about 2 and a half years ago, my dh promised that I would get a new kitchen someday, as the one we have is very small, with no counterspace except a small section on the island next to the sink. Since we are not going south, we will take that money and redo the kitchen.

I will try and make it short, give you just the main ideas, and all the great prices I hope to get for my new kitchen. And of coarse, pictures, lots of pictures.

Here are the basics about our condo: 4 year old concrete building so one of the walls is solid concrete, as well as the floor with infloor heating (so no baseboard heaters).

bamboo flooring (I put down just before we moved in)
    can't move island due to plumbing as it has sink and dishwasher
    can't move stove
    moving fridge to adjoining wall
    reuse the boxes from existing 4 cabinets and island (recycling is a good thing)
    custom built cupboards to fit exisiting space
    reface island and put new doors and trim
    purchase new stainless steel fridge, stove, dishwasher and microwave hoodfan combo

Purchases:

STOVE - I am so happy with this deal
    I went to Sears on Friday after looking for over a week at appliances and trying to find some good deals. Why is it that there are good deals galore until you want to buy an appliance, then you can't find them?
    Anyway, I was browsing through Sears and I came upon a stove I have been drooling over, but knew I could never afford, and as I moved closer I was sure I needed new glasses even though I just got some. There is was, all shiney and gleaming, it had an aura about it! As I got closer I could see the sign $999 could it be a $1899 stove on sale for $999 ok, where was the hidden camera, where was the person ready to jump out and scream NOT !!!

I called over the sales clerk (Christiina) and said, is this the correct price? She looked at it, looked at the stove and said "NO", my heart sunk. She asked if I was interested in it, and of coarse I said yes, but I could never afford the $1899 She said she would call the manager. The manager came over and Christina proceeded to explain that someone put this sign on the wrong stove and that I wanted to buy it. He said that is obviously not the price of this stove, to which I replied yes, I know then he proceeded, "I guess we will have to give it to you at this price as the sign was placed over the stove" what, where, who are my ears deceiving me . Yep, thats right, I purchased my stove last night and I am so happy, on top of that, this weekend Sears had a scratch card so while we were writing up the order Christina gave both myself and my dh a scratch card and said whoever gets the highest amount, that is the card we will use. I scratched and got $20, my dh scratched and got $50, so we got an additional $50 off the stove as well I am so happy I could scream. Thank you Christina Here is a pic of the stove I have purchased. And of coarse, I paid with my SDM mastercard, so I will get the optimum points as well. I plan on using it to purchase all of my appliances so at 5 points per dollar spent, that will add up to lots of extra $$$

It has a triple and a double expandable burners, a true convection with a hidden bake element and double fans in the oven, a warming drawer, steam bake, induction heat, a 5 year warranty (all the other stoves only had a 1 year)
    a warming station on the stovetop, 5.9 oven space with 3 racks, self clean, and a quick steam clean cycle

I'm in heaven and will be cooking up a storm in no time.

Now, on to the fridge.

I want a 3 door(french) fridge, but I cannot have the ice and water setup as since our floor is concrete, we cannot run water lines. Still no luck but I am looking. I NEED the fridge before they can do the final measurement for the cabinets as it all depends on the size of the fridge. It should have been my first purchase, but I couldn't turn down the deal on the stove.

DISHWASHER

Ok, I purchased the dishwasher at an auction on the weekend. I had actually looked at this dishwasher when I was searching for my stove and fridge. The retail price was $599 The one I purchased is brand new, still in the box, it was a repo of a plumbing store, so everything there was new. I paid $200 including buyers fee and gst I was so happy. Here is a pic. It is stainless steel, with a stainless steel interior. There are 3 wash arms, 6 cycles including a rinse cycle and a plate warmer cycle. So on this deal I saved almost $400. So far so good.

FRIDGE

My dh and 2 of my dd's went out on the weekend and purchased the fridge as I was unable to do it and we needed it to get done to continue with the cabinets. They did really well. They got a sale and managed to get $600 off the price. Original price was $1899 and they purchased it for $1299, I am very proud of them . It is a Samsung to match the stove and it is a counter depth fridge, french door which is what I wanted. I didn't wanting a huge fridge sticking out in the room. It is a bit bigger than the one we currently have. Very nice fridge. Here is a picture of it.

It looks like this inside, but the outside looks like the one above.

We have decided not to move the fridge (my dh's choice), instead, we are making my island bigger so that I have a larger area next to the stove to chop and prep from. We are installing a pull out cabinet between the fridge and stove that will house the garbage can (my idea ) so I think this will be the handiest place for it, and when working in such a small space, I have to have a place for everything.

The cabinet maker has finished the final layout lastnight with my dh and he started the cabinets today. I'm so excited. Will post the before pic's soon. Just not up to it at present.

FINALLY, it's been a while, the cabinet guy is slow and I have not been up to him working in my condo, but he started yesterday installing the new boxes at on end of the kitchen. In post 2, I have put the pictures from yesterdays mess. The countertops are suppose to come next week, followed by all the new doors a few weeks after that. Let me know what you think, look at post 2.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Sears, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Wed, Apr 11th, 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: update
    walkonby and danger_dan like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Here are some pictures of the mess in my condo, but it will be worth it.

Attachment 110504

[ATTACH]110506[/ATTACH

Attachment 110509

Attachment 110511
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Wed, Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Not finished yet, but the quartz counter tops were installed today. Last step is to install all the new doors which should take anywhere from 3 weeks to a month (my cabinet maker is super busy and he is fitting me in since I had to put him on hold when I was really ill)

So today I want to brag about my fabulous counters. Of coarse I wanted granite, but with adding to the length of the island, and all the other counterspace I added, it was way out of my range. So I went with quartz, still looks fabulous, and is still stone. I had them do an insert of marble on the edge and I am so happy I did. What do you think???

Attachment 111703

Attachment 111704

Attachment 111705

Attachment 111713

Here is my tile job

Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Wed, Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add pic's of my tile job

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Congrats on getting a new kitchen.
    Just curious. How will you cope with winter (disability)? What tips can you give to others in a similar situation to you? I know a senior couple who would like to go south but can't afford it, and winter here is hard on them too.
    Thx.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Congrats on getting a new kitchen.
    Just curious. How will you cope with winter (disability)? What tips can you give to others in a similar situation to you? I know a senior couple who would like to go south but can't afford it, and winter here is hard on them too.
    Thx.
    Well, I have only stayed behind twice since my disability became so bad that I could not work anymore. Firstly, I will be unable to go out if the weather is below -5 as I can't walk far, even with my cane, so this is where it is nice to have 5 dd's and a great dh. They will do shopping for me if needed.

When I do go out, I will be using my wheelchair parking pass. I always have it, but I try not to use it unless I absolutely need to, and I will need it this winter.

I will be getting massages every week instead of every second week to keep the muscles from stiffening to much.

My Dr. has already doubled my pain meds, we did this in December. I haven't needed to double very often so far, but most days pain meds will be double what I would take in the warmer months.

I will increase my yoga to 4 times a week from 2 (I just do this at home).

And the rest I leave to god to help me through.
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Sun, Jan 15th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    I will be getting massages every week instead of every second week to keep the muscles from stiffening to much.

I will increase my yoga to 4 times a week from 2 (I just do this at home).
    Thanks. Great suggestions about massage and yoga. Exercise and keeping the muscles moving works at any age, and expecially for cold winter months.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

i'm anxious to see now
    ....just be happy

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oooh! New shiny appliances? I am loving. Congrats holly. I showed DH the shot of the stove, hoping to peak his interest, no luck.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    21 (88%)

ooo! congratulations on the new kitchen!

I am dreaming of the day where I can move out of my ugly rental kitchen and have a nice kitchen.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

We started remodeling our new kitchen last week and it's a war zone!

I lost my corn flakes 4 days ago .. caught my girls yesterday sitting on a box of dishes while playing wii! and to make things worst, my hubby works like an hour and takes about an hour for breaks in between..crap! it's gonna take 4 ever!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Ohhh! What a lovely stroke of luck! Congrats on being able to have your renos done! I hope your winter is a warm one so you won't suffer from the really cold weather!
    I'll be interested in seeing the final pictures!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Hollyhill
    Trading Score
    357 (100%)

So sorry you have to stay home for winter. BUT thrilled about your new kitchen and amazing stove deal!!!!!

A new stove is on my WL for when I start working. Only 2 out of 4 elements work and I am tired of having it fixed, it costs a min of $100 each time.

Love the look of yours and all it's features!

And good luck on your fridge shopping, hope you get a similar deal.
    Looking for: Yogurt (FPCs)

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Got the dishwasher on the weekend. Got it at an auction and saved almost $400. See post one for update

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I am going to an auction tomorrow night with dh. They have about 200 plus slabs of granite that they are auctioning off. I really wanted granite for the island, but didn't think I could afford it, so I was going to just go with corian on all the countertops. If it goes cheap enough, maybe I just can afford to get it (for all the counters, not just the island).

I also have a line on a brand new stainless steel microwave hoodfan that I am hoping I can get for $100, If I can, that means that I can spend a little more for the fridge which was suppose to be the first thing I buy. Now I am the one holding up the kitchen as the cabinet maker needs my measurements from the fridge to start the cupboards and take the final measurements. Soon, this week I hope.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Renos are so exciting!!! Great deals too!!! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information