User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: How did he miss that he was being offered a job?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Our son got a phonecall early this morning, and he came out of his bedroom all happy, yet panicked!

It was a workplace calling, wondering why he wasn't at work this morning. Didn't he have the day right?

He had gone for an interview there Monday after school, and as much as he told us, he was to go back there today to just speak to someone more.
    He didn't realize he was HIRED, oy!!!

Needless to say, he was showered, made his lunch, got his shopcoat, workboots on, and was out the door in 20 minutes. Gosh, I hope he's having a good day!

He did say he apologized on the phone, and explained what he 'thought' the owner had said, and he gave him the choice to still come in today, or start Monday.

I just told him to apologize once more when he got there, then just deal with whatever came...
    Milan must have been thinking during his shower, because when he came out he told me - now it made sense to him why the man was talking about where to park and stuff.

So I don't know if it's my son's fault, or the owner's - but what a thing to have happen! Milan was embarrassed, and I knew he'd feel that once he got there, too, but I think he'll handle things okay.

He's supposed to begin work this Monday at the place he worked the two years before he began school, that was just arranged Wednesday - but that will require a phonecall. It was just to be back as a labourer, and they took him on knowing that he'd be looking for mechanics work, taking time for interviews, etc. - they are very easy-going (same company my husband works for).

Of course he's so happy he's gotten something in his field, since he just graduated as an automotive service technician yesterday! He was VERY grateful that he wasn't drinking last night, since it was the year-end BBQ and party for his class - good time to choose to be the driver!

Well, all in all, I just can't see myself being in the same type of situation - not realizing that one had been hired for a job! But, I wasn't there, and it's hard to say...

Anyone ever been in similar circumstances?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Thankfully, no.

Everytime I got a job offer it was in writing with a start date and time and detailing what I needed to bring SIN, bank details etc...
    Natalka and hollyquaiscer like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Well I hope his day went well.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have.

I applied to waitress at a new restaurant, I just dropped off my resume and left (at the time i had no experience in serving). A few days later I had a call from the owner asking me to come in...I thought it was for an interview i dressed liked it was one (mainly I was wearing heels.) as I was turning in I got into a car accident someone cut out of the lane and hit me as i was turning left into the parking lot oh well what can you do but anyways. Once I got in they were like so are you coming back after you settle all this to work???....I was so confused as I hadn't even interviewed for the job. Needless to say it ended up being run very poorly and i quit days later.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lol, Natalka.....some smaller companies can be so casual about hiring someone, and he'd have to have been a mind-reader to know that he was hired! Imagine the opposite happening! Showing up, thinking he was hired, and it was just another interview!
    Now THAT would have been an Oi-yoi-yoi!!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Milan must have been thinking during his shower, because when he came out he told me - now it made sense to him why the man was talking about where to park and stuff.

Anyone ever been in similar circumstances?
    Wow a great place to be in - having two jobs at once. Congratulations to your son.

Yes, this happened to me. My first job after graduating. A six month contract - maternity leave replacement. I did not feel good after the interview. I had to go back through the security gate to hand in my visitor's badge.

The really nice security guard asked how it went. I told him that I wasn't sure. He asked if they did a medical check and when I said yes, he said, then you're in and you will get a call from HR.

Sometimes you don't know if you're hired or not.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Congratulations to your son, Natalka!
    Natalka and Darth Penguin like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Usually it's fairly obvious, but then, like you said, you weren't there.

I'm so happy for your son, Natalka! Please give him my sincere congratulations! He must have made a really great impression, landing a job so quickly out of school.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Similar in some ways. Had a great interview, heard back from them, they wanted to have a second interview, where they showed me the whole place, including the offices one which would be mine. They even gave me a couple websites for my husband to look at to find work (as we would be moving if I were to take the job), I thought that was a positive sign, but They never however said I had the job, until about four days later a phone call saying the contract was in the mail and we could negotiate the details.
    Natalka likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Never had it happen to me but congrats to your son! I hope he had a wonderful first day!
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You should be very proud of your son, and congrats to him and good luck to him in the job.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

So how was the first day for your son Natalka?
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Huge congrats to your son!!!

In my weirdest job interview, I was to work at a local cable station. The interviewer went through my resume with me line by line, word by word ("You know Word?" "Yes." "You know Excel?" "Yes." etc etc). I was convinced I blew the interview (he didn't ask any questions other than checking what was written in the resume), but when I was asked if I wanted a tour, I figured it would be my one chance to see a tv station. I was half-way out the door when he asked me if I could start the next day. Some people really do not belong in an HR field.
    matrix82, Natalka, Lynn49 and 1 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Hoping he had a great day even after the confusion.
    Natalka likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

that's terrific, natalka!
    your son's on his way!
    Natalka likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information