User Tag List

Page 12 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    If all you need is cheap nitrogen send all the boys to pee outside
    That idea actually occurred to me (but I was too embarrassed to mention it )...put it in a hose end sprayer and spray...downwind of course, lol. When Penny pees, I often water the spot down to prevent burning. Instead of brown spots, we get green spots.

Your catnip is so pretty, Tbites. I didn't know how nicely they bloom.
    GoJays likes this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    Man, why do I always have these humongous pics ?
    I use irfanvew to resize everything: http://www.irfanview.ca/ It's really handy - just resize then sharpen.

Great pics Tbites Wish I could grow catnip, but the cats always rough it up too much. Cats also love valerian root; if I pull a plant out, they rub their faces in the dirt where the roots were.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Hey snuffaluffagus I think those are oxtail daisies growing in your yard. The pink flowers ones look like fleabane and the lighter yellow ones, wild mustard. Not sure what those first yellow ones or the tiny white ones are. I know I know the yellow ones....gotta think about that one.

Here is an interesting weed or flower game on Scott's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ScottsCanada...00792473369244
    Last edited by BC Gal; Mon, Jul 2nd, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

BC Gal,
    Tbites is growing catmint aka nepeta, catnip isn't nearly as showy and will entice all the neighbouring cats into your yard.

Nice sunny day today and the temperature isn't too hot.

A couple of things blooming right now:
    First one is Aruncus aka goat's beard. This one likes partial shade and moist conditions. Put it at the back of the border and forget about it...does not like being moved.
    Last is my Hope For Humanity shrub rose. Fully hardy for here and I love the deep rich red colour. My roses are being eaten by rose sawfly right now, so I'm going to have to spray them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    GoJays, BC Gal and Tbites like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Great pics you gals Thanks Marstec; aaahh right, catnip flowers look different don't they. I can't grow any of it, even cat grass. It never gets a chance to get established before on of my three cats always finds it. Neighborhood cats stay out of my yard as I also have a dog. Early this year my longtime buddy passed away and I got a new puppy almost two months ago. He is a hyper shadow, jumping around and wants to do everything I'm doing. So if I am weeding, he is grabbing plants and pulling as well. It's cute and funny but totally not! I had to basically stop working in my gardens so they're in total shambles right now.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Marstec is correct.... this is what you see in the pic Nepeta x faassenii aka Walker's Low, catmint http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37051/

I'll try to add a pic of my nepeta cataria (catnip)... which is currently potbound but still budding.

Name:  Misc 018.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  59.7 KB
    Last edited by Tbites; Fri, Jul 6th, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
    BC Gal likes this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    Great pics you gals Thanks Marstec; aaahh right, catnip flowers look different don't they. I can't grow any of it, even cat grass. It never gets a chance to get established before on of my three cats always finds it. Neighborhood cats stay out of my yard as I also have a dog. Early this year my longtime buddy passed away and I got a new puppy almost two months ago. He is a hyper shadow, jumping around and wants to do everything I'm doing. So if I am weeding, he is grabbing plants and pulling as well. It's cute and funny but totally not! I had to basically stop working in my gardens so they're in total shambles right now.
    There's a neighborhood cat that keeps coming around and breaking some of my catnip and I'm out of cages soooooo.... I'm going to try an "organic" approach and see if the smell of cat feces deters him.... worth a shot.

MY WISHLIST

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I nearly forgot about my lavendula augustifolia. I've only been trying to grow it for many years now without success. Last year, one finally survived...growing mostly in the shade through my hostas. Go figure .

Name:  Lavendula.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  81.4 KB
    Kitty77, GoJays, BC Gal and 1 others like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

wow! I think that I'm WAY over my head here! But just reading the thread is valuable! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When someone on SC posted about Walmart having a clearance on July 1, I wondered if that would apply to garden centre plants. I had yearned to get a raspberry cane container but $8 seemed too high in May. Today, I ventured to the garden centre and got the last container of raspberry for $3.49 plus taxes! OK so only one cane of the three has any leaves (some of which are brown) but I gave the plants and their new garden spaces some water when I planted. I just want the canes to grow this year-fruit would be a bonus in the fall if that happens.

Anyway, the garden seems more in use. Will get more radish seeds in and some more lettuce seeds. Something likes chomping on the Japanese eggplant leaves, which have finally perked up and are more green than when planted.

I also went to Cdn Tire and got a tired 4-cell pack of cauliflower plants (small head variety) for 49 cents and one more eggplant and one container of beets (too lazy to separate the plants but will do that tomorrow) for 99 cents each. Glad I did the weeding in the garden-boy those lush green weeds choked out the lettuce and sort of hindered the radishes-earlier today. Have to keep more aware of what's going on because I basically forget the garden and its competitive plant nature.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    When someone on SC posted about Walmart having a clearance on July 1, I wondered if that would apply to garden centre plants. I had yearned to get a raspberry cane container but $8 seemed too high in May. Today, I ventured to the garden centre and got the last container of raspberry for $3.49 plus taxes! OK so only one cane of the three has any leaves (some of which are brown) but I gave the plants and their new garden spaces some water when I planted. I just want the canes to grow this year-fruit would be a bonus in the fall if that happens.

Anyway, the garden seems more in use. Will get more radish seeds in and some more lettuce seeds. Something likes chomping on the Japanese eggplant leaves, which have finally perked up and are more green than when planted.

I also went to Cdn Tire and got a tired 4-cell pack of cauliflower plants (small head variety) for 49 cents and one more eggplant and one container of beets (too lazy to separate the plants but will do that tomorrow) for 99 cents each. Glad I did the weeding in the garden-boy those lush green weeds choked out the lettuce and sort of hindered the radishes-earlier today. Have to keep more aware of what's going on because I basically forget the garden and its competitive plant nature.
    If the holes in your eggplant leaves look like this...., then it's flea beetles. Sometimes the damage is only minor but sometimes they'll chew that plant's leaves away.

I don't eat radishes but usually plant a few seeds as a trap crop for these beetles (planted them late this year.) You can also try a space blanket mulch from the dollar store... yup... it looks nutty, but tghe reflected light disorients them. Or make an organic spray http://www.ghorganics.com/page14.htm...ato Leaf Spray and http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html#Flea beetle:

MY WISHLIST

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Daylilly given by the city this year
    Name:  Misc%u00252520012.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  40.1 KB

The heirlooms tomatoes have reached the top of their trellis this year , but they're not ready for topping yet.
    Name:  Misc%u00252520014.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  55.3 KB

Anyone seem this type of brown edging on their tom leaves before ? 3 of the heirlooms and 1 hybrid has it... I reallllllly hope it's not a disease and before you ask, I do not use any chemical fertilizers.
    Name:  Misc%u00252520019.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  28.8 KB
    One of the nasturtiums in bloom
    Name:  Misc%u00252520016.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  43.7 KB
    Last edited by Tbites; Fri, Jul 6th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
    anisa, GoJays and BC Gal like this.

MY WISHLIST

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Tbites,
    Your pictures aren't showing up for me...I know you are trying to reduce the size of your HUMUNGOUS pictures (lol), but they don't bother me in the least...you do what you can do. Anyway, you should really monitor your tomato plants. Check online to see what the various blights and viruses look like. You can do some preventative stuff for some of it, but something like late blight needs to be dealt with pdq (with removal of all plant material)

If you DO have a fungal disease, go buy some Bordo powder - Wilson and Green Earth brands. It is generically called bordeaux mixture because it was originally used for funguses on grapes in the Bordeaux region. It is copper-based. It's important to pick off any yellowed leaves and make sure to water the soil only and avoid splashing the foliage with muddy water. Good luck, I'm battling issues with my tomatoes this year and it is frustrating.

A couple of pictures today:

First is a bloom from Morden Sunrise shrub rose. This one isn't nearly as hardy as some of the other Mordens. I have bought at least six of these plants over the years...gardeners are forever optimists, huh?

Last one is a Potentilla, I think Miss Willmott...it is herbaceous, different than the shrub potentilla. It is related to the strawberry, so not surprisingly, it has very similar foliage.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    anisa, GoJays, BC Gal and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I agree with marstec, Tbites - i'd rather see HUGE pictures than no pictures Post away!!

marstec, I love the color of the rose and the potentilla, very pretty

mexican sunflower looking a tad ragged.. lol.. i love the color of it though

little dahlia that wasn't supposed to come back from last year, glad it did though, it's in a pot with calla lilies that refuse to bloom.. little dahlia saves the day

this little guy self-seeded

gloriosa daisy - cherokee sunset

dwarf delphinium

surprise lily - bought it cheap two years ago, this is the first time it's bloomed
    anisa, BC Gal, marstec and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Just thinking about nitrogen again, look on Kijiji/Craigs List and post a "wanted" ad. A lot of places will give away manure if you come and get it yourself. Another option, with all that lawn, ever thought of getting a goat/sheep? I"m sure someone would give it a new home in the fall if you didn't want to eat it, someone will.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Page 12 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread Information