User Tag List

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I posted this in food, but maybe better here.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/308845-...-salsa-canada/

In a nutshell, I want to know if I can freeze my veggies before making them into salsa, because they aren't all ripening at the same time.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would be more inclined to refrigerate the tomatoes and peppers rather than freezing them. Further ripening will be delayed with refrigeration. That said, if you do decide to freeze, dice the tomatoes and peppers beforehand...and when they are thawed, you might need to drain off some of the liquid. It might affect the texture a bit, but it's worth a shot instead of letting it go to waste. This advice would only be for canned salsa, not the fresh kind.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I froze some jalapeno peppers last Fall and just used them had no promlems with them. Thats the thing though frozen stuff cantains water. My son purchased large containers at the dollar store.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

YES
    hot peppers, green peppers freeze well (chopped to save room in freezer)

freeze tomatoes as they ripen (just throw them in the freezer)- when you want to can (salsa, spagetti sauce ect) take them out to the freezer - rinse in hot water to remove the skin (or at least crack the skins) let them sit in a colander IN THE SINK- a huge amount of water will come out

run them thru a food milly thingy that seperates the skin/seeds and core and start your sauce- you will save a huge amount of boling time... maybe you are losing vit or something not sure but it sure beats cooking for hours!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

once frozen they are better for sauces rathen then anything that gives a good texture

Thread Information