• 1 Post By Sunshyne1
  • 3 Post By matty's mom
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: Scrounging for free plants :)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

No dumping-you see signs saying this on vacant lots everywhere.Often you'll see why,too-piles of leaves,lawn clippings and other garden waste in addition to the odd appliance or old furniture.
    Don't just tsk,tsk as you walk by-take a good look at what's there!
    This is a gold mine for gardeners,and I've scored tons of free plants and cuttings this way.I've occasionally found viable seed heads as well in late summer or fall.Examples:
    I recently found where someone had cut out a bunch of Hostas.The leaves were pretty yellow and dead but the flower stalks still had some color left and caught my eye amongst the weeds.There were lots of roots attached,and I know mine died off last year(heat stress/lack of water)but came back this spring,so I dragged them home and potted them up.If they don't recover by next spring,oh well compost-if they do?About $50.00 worth of plants
    Forsythia,Hydrangea,Weigela,etc. prunings root easily to make new plants.
    Succulents frequently grow themselves from discarded bits,as do Irises,Day Lillies,Carnations,and many other perennials.Keep an eye out for bulbs and corms,and look for volunteer flowers in the spring.
    In the fall there are often annuals torn out with mature seedheads.Cosmos.Marigolds and Nasturtiums are some I've found,and saved seeds from.
    In short,keep a sharp look out on those evening walks and a couple plastic bags in your purse-you might get lucky!
    This thread is currently associated with: Roots, Spring Shoes

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

good idea.
    improperganda likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by secheltsaver View Post
    In the fall there are often annuals torn out with mature seedheads.Cosmos.Marigolds and Nasturtiums are some I've found,and saved seeds from.
    In short,keep a sharp look out on those evening walks and a couple plastic bags in your purse-you might get lucky!
    Really good idea about the seeds.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That's awesome you found so much!

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

thats an awesome job finding all those great plants, my SIL looks for all different plants and seeds when she goes out hiking too. I'll make sure she reads this post when I see her next and let her know she's not the only one. amazing job, I bet you have an amazing garden to add those plant too.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My Portulaca's come back every year in this one planter, just from the seed heads I get from the plants.
    I don't bring the planter inside, but each & every year the seeds survive the winter and I have a planter full of free plants every year.
    I ve given away quite a few plants too when I thin them out each year, otherwise they get overgrown.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Oh good I am not the only one! My son and I have brought home "babies" for the garden.

I have had luck with Kijijji for free plants. Often someone is landscaping, and doesn't want the work of digging up the garden. I have time (especially when DS is @ playgroup) and Heaven knows, not alot of $ so this usually is a win/win. Just this spring, I went to dig up a lady's day lilies only to find when I got there- it wasn't just a plant- it was a BUSH! Dh went home and got the wheelbarrow for me. There were 36 individual plants/shoots. So, now I have a daylily border along the back of the garage. It looks great!
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We saw a beautiful hosta plant dumped in a lot where there will be new houses (eventually).
    We were too chicken to jump out the car and scoop it up -- busy traffic.
    When we went by again a couple of days later, it was gone -- snooze, you lose, eh?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I own the vacant lot next to our house and i would be calling the SQ if I found anyone taking plants from it...That's a part of my garden TYVM.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I own the vacant lot next to our house and i would be calling the SQ if I found anyone taking plants from it...That's a part of my garden TYVM.
    The hosta I found was out of the pot, dumped, upside down. It was on a developer's lot, with rubble, and broken bricks and tons of weeds.

Probably doesn't look as good as your lot.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I came across a website that was all about free gardening. You can take clippings from plants you see around your city, parks, ppls lawns ect. Just make sure you do it right and not hurt the plant. Also ask friends for clippings or runners from other plants.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

it's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information