User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: bed bug rant-eeeww!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

I have used the product aforementioned. it is diatomacious (sp?) earth, a white powder that you have to place at all baseboards and even around your bed legs to ensure more bugs to not manage to get onto your bed. Problem is, it has to stay down for a LONG time as these buggers can live without a blood meal for up to a year?!?!

All I can say is to put this down, use steam machines on the mattress, cover it with a bedbug certified cover (so that they cant get onto and ruin the matress any more) and if you notice bites to flip over your bed every time and get the offending bugs before they grow to the stage where they can lay eggs. This involves inspecting every two days, washing sheets and blankets in hot water every week, and even keeping a log of how many you are finding.

These things are insane, and if you are like me and cannot fumigate take a LONG time to dissappear.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    597 (100%)

I totally understand how you feel. About 4 years ago my dh and I were renting in a high rise and got bedbugs, it was a complete nightmare. We ended up getting fumigation done twice and moved out within a month. I threw out so much stuff bc of being scared about them coming back. Worst part was it was the floor below that got it and spread it, so everyone on my floor got it and I wouln't be surprise if it continued to go to the next floors. Worst part - It wasn't covered by insurance so we were out about $1500 for new furntiure. What I can say is now we are very careful and I swear by the covers for your bed. They are like $15 - $20 and you have to buy 2. I believe they are called bed bug protectors.

Only way to totally get rid of them is to fumigate and then move. Also wash everything in HOT water!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

there was also a video on facebook where the people laid down an old bedsheet on top of a heating pad and put the diatomacious earth on top of their mattress. The bugs are attracted to heat and CO2 much like mosquitos are. They found the next morning that a bunch of the bugs had walked through the powder and died. Just a thought

scissoritis
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I dealt with bedbugs in Mexico. Having been bit over 150 times in one night, and still dealing with the scars, I've done a bit of research.

I highly recommend throwing away as many of your soft/fabric items as you can part with. Bed bugs and their eggs can live a year without feeding, and they are next to impossible to see. You will almost certainly carry live bugs or eggs with you when you move. Have a system for anything that you can't part with - bag it, wash it and dry it on high heat, and put it in a new clean plastic bag. Don't re-open the bag until you are in your new place. Don't forget shoes, jackets, etc.

I would take all none-solid-wood furniture to the dump, including mattresses, rugs, and couches. Don't forget to wash your clothes that you wear while doing the dump run (or throw them away). Throw away pillows, comfortors, and any bedding that it is not practical to wash.

For items that can't be washed, put them in a clear plastic bag in strong sunlight for several hours, flipping the bag. If you can, spray them with hydrogen peroxide. Wipe down wood and plastic with hydrogen peroxide (check to see if it will stain first). Do at least one of these steps with all non-washables (stuffed animals, etc).

It may seem like a waste to throw your stuff, but it is way better than bringing one single bedbug to your new place.
    ssbean, AlyssaDarling and daynabas like this.
    sicosnipophobia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information