User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Jackson Square getting a grocery store

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I noticed they were advertising again recently
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I popped into Jackson Square to go to the PO yesterday and they have taken down the boarding and you could see them training people
    It looks really nice
    Ciel likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'll have to take a look when I'm next in Jackson Square. Exciting development and the retail complex needs some major oomph.
    BTW, J. Square still closes at 6pm all weeknights, correct?
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yep, and most stores still close before that (try running in at 545 lol)
    I wonder if they will be open later (Tims, McDonalds, Rexall, the new wing place/other restaurants all have different hours)
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I agree that a lot of the produce is not local and even when it's organic it is not even necessarily good quality. I remember purchasing some organic apples there a couple of years ago and when I got them home I noticed that they were product of South Africa and they had no flavour whatsoever. There are some vendors who advertise that their produce comes from their local farms and that helps a lot and when I go to the downtown Farmer's market I try to go to just them.

There are some other local farmers markets within Hamilton that limit what can be sold there to only locally grown produce. Here's a link to a list of the local farmers markets and you can check whatever is close to you to see what their policies are on limiting to only locally grown produce. http://www.tourismhamilton.com/a-han...ts-in-hamilton

Also, starting this Saturday (June 8) and every Saturday until November, the downtown Farmers Market will be having outdoor stalls along York Boulevard with a focus on "Local, seasonal produce".

As per raisethehammer.org :

" The City of Hamilton has just announced that the Farmers' Market, 35 York Boulevard will have an outdoor pavillion this summer, for the first time in 33 years. The market will open outdoors on Saturdays from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, starting on June 8 and running to November 2.

The City will close the eastbound curb lane of York Boulevard between Park and MacNab Street to accommodate the outdoor stalls. According to Donna Lee MacDonald, Farmers' Market manager, this will "ensure there is adequate space for the vendors as well as pedestrians to enjoy the outdoor market and visit the 60+ permanent vendors housed inside the Hamilton Farmers' Market."

The outdoor market will feature "a mix of new seasonal vendors and current existing vendors. Seasonal Outdoor Market vendors will be supplying only local, seasonal produce."

I think that's awesome. Here's a link to that article if anyone wants to read it: http://raisethehammer.org/blog/2711/...ls_this_summer

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Ummm don't a load of buses stop along there? I know the Burlington express bus does - they may find they lose on customers if they have to walk with heavy groceries to a bus stop?
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Grrr they delete so many comments on raise the hammer leaving replies
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Ummm don't a load of buses stop along there? I know the Burlington express bus does - they may find they lose on customers if they have to walk with heavy groceries to a bus stop?
    It does not appear that any buses will be rerouted as only one lane will be closed to accommodate this. Also, as this will only be on Saturdays the traffic won't be anywhere near as heavy as it would be during the week so that should not be an issue.

You present an interesting issue with people potentially having to walk to their bus stops while laden down with heavy groceries. Personally I feel that local people making a trip by bus to come downtown on a weekend to buy lots of fresh local produce for their families is a great problem to have because it means that people are eating healthy locally grown food and they're willing to make the effort to do so. However I appreciate that this can be an issue for some and I see many people in the Farmer's Market with bundle buggies so I hope that if carrying heavy groceries is an issue for people that they will plan ahead and do likewise.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

If the store wont open because people have to carry their bagged groceries rather than their cart in the elevator, I can see it impacting people

In general the farmers market is just not as busy, the store has not opened yet and there are already empty stalls in the market and ones where people do not open all days - sad if the death of the farmers market is likely, the Ottawa St one is busier now
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I won't go to the downtown farmer's market just because of the location. I refuse to go downtown, period. There are enough little farmer's markets elsewhere or I will even take a drive out to the actual farms to buy my stuff before I go downtown.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I get off the GO downtown and would likely pop in if it stayed open late enough
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Soft opening starts today if you are in the area

The Spec has a video tour of the store here:
    http://www.thespec.com/news-story/38...ackson-square/

About 40 per cent of the Hamilton store is prepared food, with offerings including sushi, panini, hoagies, pasta and Chinese barbecue. There is a hot and cold buffet, fresh seafood and a range of exotic fruits and vegetables. Sixteen aisles of groceries feature everything from laundry detergent to cat food. Spices take up an entire aisle and the store will sell 20 to 30 types of rice.
    Many of Tuesday's guests found prices to be generally in line with other grocers. For instance, the store was charging $4.99 for three litres of milk, $2.99 for a dozen eggs, $6.14 for six chicken thighs, $3.99 for a box of corn flakes and $3 for two heads of broccoli.
    Side note if you are paying for parking at Jackson Square for other shopping, they validate your parking if you spend $20, I am sure we can find $20 of decent priced groceries for free parking
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Did anyone else check it out today?

They have some great prices on beef, terrible on chicken. The produce all looks so fresh. It does not replace some regular grocery stores in terms of choice for some items though. It was insane though and it was like people forgot how to walk, and people were meeting friends and just standing in the small aisles chatting (I think they made some mistakes in the aisle setup, some of them have huge pillars in them)
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I saw the Spec's video yesterday and the store will definitely be a stop for me!

The pillars are likely left over from the last big thing in the mall years ago. In other words, they kept what was already there and worked around it. Hopefully the chatty stand in the aisle types will walk into the pillars and wise up to take the talk to the eating area with some coffee or food!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Well you don't really get a say in where they go, they support the building LOL but I would work the aisles around them

Also DO NOT let them pack for you, I had a loaf of bread with all my veggies on top
    ~ ~ ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information