User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: apple tree question

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

hi! i have no talent in gardening but i really want an apple tree in our backyard. i would prefer the 4in1 or 5in1 type of apple tree. is it as simple as buy a tree from the nursery and plant it? or am i missing something?

thanks for the help!
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

While I am not familiar with the variety you mention, fruit trees in general probably favour planting in spring or fall. You might want to find out what soil type you have in your yard and find out what water/soil needs a new tree would need when you bring one home from a nursery. If you know someone in your neighbourhood or social group that is an avid gardener with tree fruits, arrange a chat with him or her.

Quite certain you would have to commit to spraying the tree each spring to ensure some uniform fruit otherwise the apples might look uneven (ok on one side and squished point on other side). Does your yard get bees? They have to pollinate the blossoms that turn into fruit later.

A family member with a knack/knowledge of grafting or starting a cutting to yield a future tree does this work in early spring or fall, when sap flow is slower. By chance a fallen quince fruit from last autumn left on the ground grew roots around the parent tree and developed a small tree this spring-alas it did not survive my digging efforts to transplant it to another yard. The roots were part of the problem-two of the them went around the other tree so new tree was tipsy.
    mjaas likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

thanks!

4in1 or 5in1: it's an apple tree that bears 4 or 5 different varieties of apples (granny smith, mcintosh, gala, etc). the good thing about this kind of tree is that it doesn't need another apple tree for pollination. and the apples come out at different times so you can have a variety for different months. these are what i have read.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mjaas View Post
    thanks!

4in1 or 5in1: it's an apple tree that bears 4 or 5 different varieties of apples (granny smith, mcintosh, gala, etc). the good thing about this kind of tree is that it doesn't need another apple tree for pollination. and the apples come out at different times so you can have a variety for different months. these are what i have read.
    wow...it sounds like a magical tree you would only find growing in Never Never Land!!! lol...to be honest I thought you were pulling our legs, so i googled it! Turns out it's not a Myth!

I have NEVER heard of an apple tree like that!
    itsmewhoelse and mjaas like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    wow...it sounds like a magical tree you would only find growing in Never Never Land!!! lol...to be honest I thought you were pulling our legs, so i googled it! Turns out it's not a Myth!

I have NEVER heard of an apple tree like that!
    i can't believe it too when my DH mentioned it to me coz he knows that i want an apple tree in the backyard.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

These grafted trees will be expensive and you run the risk of one of the grafts dying, especially if you live in a severe zone. It does seem like the perfect tree, I just wanted to list a couple of potential pitfalls to consider too.
    mjaas likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    These grafted trees will be expensive and you run the risk of one of the grafts dying, especially if you live in a severe zone. It does seem like the perfect tree, I just wanted to list a couple of potential pitfalls to consider too.
    thanks! i'm kinda worried about that too since i don't know anything about gardening/plants. i love looking at trees and flowers but i have no talent on how to take care of them. the lucky bamboo almost died on me a month after i bought it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I think you should visit your local garden centre - not the hardware or grocery store varieties (not that they're open now anyhow, or to say they can't give advice, but I do think you'll do better at a regular garden centre/nursery). They will have more knowledge of what will or won't work well in your area, whether spraying is required, etc. The type of tree you're looking at, I think there's a much greater risk of failure with that type of tree. Better to go for one apple variety that you know you'll like and will do well. A simple apple tree will also be easier to care for I'd think. Good luck!
    mjaas and fitzgirl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I think you should visit your local garden centre - not the hardware or grocery store varieties (not that they're open now anyhow, or to say they can't give advice, but I do think you'll do better at a regular garden centre/nursery). They will have more knowledge of what will or won't work well in your area, whether spraying is required, etc. The type of tree you're looking at, I think there's a much greater risk of failure with that type of tree. Better to go for one apple variety that you know you'll like and will do well. A simple apple tree will also be easier to care for I'd think. Good luck!
    thanks! we're really planning to buy the tree on a nursery. not only they have more varieties to choose from, they're experts in their field too. i just hope they will not get mad at me coz i got a lot of questions.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mjaas View Post
    thanks! we're really planning to buy the tree on a nursery. not only they have more varieties to choose from, they're experts in their field too. i just hope they will not get mad at me coz i got a lot of questions.
    If they're worth dealing with, they will NOT be mad that you have questions! Most folks in actual garden stores want you to succeed, not to just sell something. Ask away!
    mjaas likes this.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Nurseries want their trees to do well. Ask away. I have two apple trees in the back. Not the fancy 4 in 1, but good size apples. I put some manure around the tree in the spring usually, so it soaks through to the roots. There's lawn around it so I don't dig into the dirt. Doesn't need any other care.
    mjaas likes this.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird999 View Post
    Nurseries want their trees to do well. Ask away. I have two apple trees in the back. Not the fancy 4 in 1, but good size apples. I put some manure around the tree in the spring usually, so it soaks through to the roots. There's lawn around it so I don't dig into the dirt. Doesn't need any other care.
    thanks!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

thanks everyone for all your replies! appreciate it very much!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Most reputable nurseries offer a guarantee or warranty on their products, so this should protect you from losing your investment. You do however have to follow their planting and maintenance instruction closely.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I have both a 4-in1 appl and pear tree. The pear tree is wonderful. That apple is a disaster. It has only products apples about 2 yrs and they are so gross with bugs that they are not usable. The only way to get it to product anything useful would be to spray it with poisons. I really am not keen on doing that so I am considering cutting it down.

The pear tree on the other hand had the best yr yet. It was so loaded with fruit that some of the branches needed support they were so heavy with fruit. Right now the red bartlets are almost done and are just like the fruit you buy in the store. The regular barlets are now read and then once they are done I have anjou to eat and then bosc. Almost no bugs and I never spray it. Prune it a bit each yr and put some nice compost at the bottom and it is good to go.

I wish I had gotten 2 pear trees and forgot about the apple. I'll leave the apples to the pros.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information