User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How do you deal with your stress?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This summer has been a tough one. Very stressful.

I have found myself snappy and not as tolerant as I use to be, and b!tching and complaining about every little thing that irritates me and I am at the point where I just cannot be bothered to do a lot of things because I feel that that there is no point because of all of the negative forces pushing back at me. I am a comfort eater, and not putting on 40 lbs over the summer making myself "feel better" has probably made it worse.

Hopefully with the kids back in school next week, things will be a bit better and I can start focusing on relaxing and getting it together.

So, when you are stressed, what do you do to manage?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Redneck Charger and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Depending upon what is leading to the stress, I either read lots alone in our room, or I make sure I stay around my family, talking lots while doing things, etc.
    Do what you know gives you comfort - going for a walk, writing in a journal, etc.

I don't know your age, but I went through a period a while back (late 30s) when I became very uncharacteristically not very nice, similar to what you describe - turned out it was a hormone imbalance. I happened to mention it to my gynie when I was having a checkup, had some bloodwork done, and the results showed the answers...
    Angela273 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I know it sounds all "yeah yeah exercise helps with stress", but there are studies out of the U of BC right now that are claiming that exercise is one of the biggest stress killers that there is. It has to do with the fact that everything in the body is a chemical reaction, even stressful emotions, just a chemical reaction, exercise can actually help you burn through those chemicals faster (they all have to be metabolised in the liver and will be used up faster so to speak) rather than allowing them to sit around in your system for longer periods of time. Its not as though going for a run would ever get rid of stop a stressful situation, but it can stop the effects that situation has on the body but helping controlling the chemicals that cause anxiety and depression, as well as releasing dopamine (HAPPY HORMONES ) into your system.

But NUMBER 1 step, for sure talk to a doctor about it. If you need some meds, take them, if you need to talk to a counsellor, make the appointment and keep it. They can guide you professionally to proper coping choices to make.
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^ Well--I learned the hard way about the exercise. LOL.

I used to be a smoker so when I was stressed, I would simply smoke because I thought it made me feel less stressed. lol. Turns out, it didn't. I was just as stressed smoking as when not. Anyhoo...kicked that ugly habit.

Then--after kicking that habit, I unconsciously starting munching and nibbling when I was stressed. yeah. You can imagine where THAT went. Straight to the hips and 15 pounds later, which was stressful cuz now I had to lose it. (<sigh> vicious circle!). For awhile I had some concerns that I was developing a binge eating habit and it always correlated with when there was stress in my life.

So then I started running and exercising to lose the weight I'd gained from stress eating, but discovered that running made me feel so darned good that whatever was stressful just kinda melted away to nothing. Now I try to go for a brisk walk when I feel stressed and generally, I feel really great afterwards. Sometimes I can't get away though (ie when I'm at work) and then I play music at a higher than normal volume often works too.

I totally understand the comfort eating and how flippin hard it can be to break that spell. Been there...Done that...and still struggle from time to time too You need to figure out what your source of stress is and find ways to combat it. For me, I am a pleaser and I hate strain in my personal relationships. I want everyone to be happy and would turn myself inside out to make that happen. When there is discord, I get extremely anxious...and that's when I am tempted to hit the fridge.

Figure out what stresses you most (ie. what leads to the comfort eating) and then devise a plan to deal with it in a different way. When X happens, I'm gonna do Y instead. That's what worked for me. If there was an argument at work with my boss or DH was mad at me for something, I decided that I would simply have to make the time for a walk, drink lots of water and do whatever I could do to be as far away from food as humanly possible until I felt more relaxed.

Good luck!
    Natalka, Angela273 and walkonby like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I see smart members here! It is true, that exercise ( whatever form you choose) will alleviate what is ticking you off. Have you ever cleaned the house like a madwoman when pissed? I have. The end result is twofold, the work is done and you alleviated the anger ( stress). I am certain you will find a solution that works for you.
    ninna and Granger like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Question:How do you deal with your stress?
    Answer: Laughter
    Find a good YouTube comedy video and laugh.
    Then take a nap.
    Somehow, a solution to the problem always comes after a nap.

Sorry to hear about your summer OP. Hope the fall is better for you.

(((Hugs)))
    Angela273, ninna, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^ oh walkonby, that's SO true about cleaning the house!

I've done that before as well. Crank up the tunes and clean the sh*t out of the house. haha. Relieves stress AND get a sparkling clean place out of the deal. Great idea. Of course, when you're scrubbing the snot out of your house, you're also getting exercise while you're at it so it has many great side effects!

In the past I also used to bake when something was bothering me. The very act of making something out of nothing was soothing and a good distraction and I always felt pleased after with what I had made. I grew up in a house with a momma that baked all the time, so I think I get a strange sense of comfort or childhood security from being in the kitchen baking things. However, with my nibbling tendency of late, I'm less inclined to turn to baking these days as my stress release and more to a long walk.

It's kinda funny the whole thing about exercise. When me and DH were going to school in Ottawa, we had a roommate which was great--but--not great when we were mad at each other. We always felt a little awkward if we were in a fight and the roommate was home. We didn't like arguing in the house because we didn't want the roommate knowing what our issues were. So-- in order to argue, we would leave the house and go for a walk. LOL. Guaranteed: After 10 minutes of walking, we forgot what we were arguing about.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

that was a great post ninna. I am just thinking how many disagreements we could have solved quicker just by walking and talking, lol. Oh and the baking thing? Yup, I have/had it too! Of course it needed to be squashed because we were all over indulging.

Shwa, I loved your solution! Laughter!! The best medicine.
    Angela273 and ninna like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not much of an exerciser or walker. I find both of them to be boring because where I live there is nothing much to see (I have to drive 30 minutes to have some decent scenery) and trying to go to the gym I found to be pointless.....I am one of those that needs something to engage me.
    I do like grabbing my camera and going for hikes, so this is what the plan is for now while the weather is still nice. I suppose I am lucky that I am close to Hamilton, On. The Escarpment is a beautiful place....hopefully tomorrow it will inspire me!

Have a great day!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Exercise helps and having a support family/friends
    Angela273 likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@OP....have you at least been able to identify the "stressors"? That will be the first step in the process of tackling stress. We are all human and go through tumultuous times, but some people choose to turn to ways that only make the situation worse e.g. drinking, yelling, being confrontation etc

One thing that has always helped me from a younger age (since my teens), is turning to running and just letting it rip. I have had people that know me say hello to me on the trails, but because I was so in the zone, I didn't even see them and this also happens during my road running too. I run come rain, sunshine, winter or whatever.
    Angela273 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yoga is the best option for removing stress.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

All fantastic answers, however, if you continue to feel stressed, why not get a good 'ol check-up with your doctor? There can be physical reasons and sometimes medication really helps those physical conditions; for instance, you may be low in seratonin, a chemical imbalance that can lead to depression...
    It's always a good idea to seek medical help and there's no reason to live with anxiety and/or stress.
    Good luck.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I'm stress I do Online Shopping always browse through few sites like Forever 21, Luulla, Boohoo and more
    Is the best since I no need to dress up and go see all those people outside
    Second thing is to go for dessert !!! Chocolate cake top with vanilla ice cream.. oh noms..
    Last option is exercise..
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Before my accident, I always thought stress was a copout.. But since I have learned exactly what stress is. I find long walks, Hot showers, reading, or laying down, and just thinking about my feet, to my knee's to I get up to my head helps a lot..
    walkonby likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information