User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: When do you call the landlord about noise?

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I feel your pain and wouldn't put up with this! We live in a single family dwelling and have had issues with a noisy neighbour....it appears as soon as this individual reached the ripe old age of 40, he decided to act like a teenager again and blare his music from the truck. What is it with some people! I can't stand that bass sound either -drives me nuts and we have had to approach him on numerous occasions. It's good for a while and then he starts again - immaturity at its best! Can't wait for him to move, if that will ever happen....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Argh noise... I know how you feel. I can tolerate pretty much anything (bass, shouting, dogs barking, whatever) while I'm awake, but I HATE noise at night. I live below some people who have a habit of stomping loudly late into the night, they usually start stomping around 11:30 pm and don't stop until sometime aroudn 1:30-2 am. I have no idea what the hell they're doing that requires so much running around. They also slam doors a lot well past midnight, and then start again early in the morning around 7:30. My issue is made worse by the fact that I am renting in a condo building where the majority of other people are owners, so in any dispute between myself and someone else the condo management is unlikely to take my side. I wish I could afford a detached house on a large lot.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Ugg, the stomping is a hard one too. Above me there is a father with I think partial custody of a teenage girl. I can tell when it is his weekends with her, because she is a stomper. At least she goes to bed fairly early, but for a tiny thing she makes a tremendous amount of stomping noise. I never hear the father who is your average sized adult. I can put up with that, it is music/tv bass noise from the next door neighbour that drives me bonkers, as ear plugs don't help to block that out.

I am usually at work during the day, so I am unsure what the noise level is like during most days. He is at it again with his stereo :S, it's only 5pm, so nothing can really be done about it. Just really wish he was more considerate.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What kind of building is it? I'm guessing it's not a high-rise because the walls in those tend to be pretty sound-proof, especially in the newer condo highrises. I know when I walk down the hall I can hear all kinds of music from the people next door, but when I enter my condo, I can't hear a thing. Apparently the sound only travels through the floor and ceiling in this building, but not through the side walls.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I am in a 9 floor building, 151 apartments. Concrete construction. Which means his stereo is loud when he has it turned up. I don't hear anything from the neighbour below me or on the other side of me. I wouldn't even know anyone lived below me or on the other side from how quiet it is. It is just this one loud guy.

The building is almost 30 years old.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

He is at it again with his stereo. The super's aren't able to do anything about his noise until after 10pm. How many complaints need to be made about this guy, seriously? Since he won't answer his door, surprise, surprise...grrr... maybe I need to ring him up on the intercom and ask for him to turn down the sound.

I am kicking myself so much for falling for the line that it was a quiet, mature adult building. I really thought it was going to be a quiet building, how very wrong I was about this. I have a great dislike for the loud neighbour and for the property management in not doing anything about it.
    Last edited by matrix82; Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Loud again, complaining to the landlord seems useless. I am going to look at moving once my lease is up. Wish that I could get out of my lease early because of this guys loudness. I've lived in apartments for 10 years now and never had such a consistently loud neighbor.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Called the superintendent. I am so sick and tired of this loud guy. I really think I will move once my lease ends. I shouldn't know when my neighbour is home because of their surround sound.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

Does the lease say its a quiet building) if its in the lease and the landlord isnt doing anything about the noise you should be able to get out of your lease without any fees. Just bring your complaint to the rentals man with a written record ( and possibly phone records) of when you called the landlord to complain. If there is nothing in the lease you can still complain to the police at night.
    matrix82 likes this.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by francine1985 View Post
    Does the lease say its a quiet building) if its in the lease and the landlord isnt doing anything about the noise you should be able to get out of your lease without any fees. Just bring your complaint to the rentals man with a written record ( and possibly phone records) of when you called the landlord to complain. If there is nothing in the lease you can still complain to the police at night.
    Direct quote from the lease states:
    "k) The Tenant agrees not to utilize bass amplifiers or woofers on entertainment equipment. If your entertainment system is heard from outside your apartment, complaints may warrant an eviction."
    Use this link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information