User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: When do you call the landlord about noise?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Okay, so I supposedly live in a quiet, adult building, yeah right.

When do you call the super about noise? Our building is supposed to be quiet, it has quiet hours which start at 11pm, but the super has told us, noise at any time is not to be tolerated, my neighbour has very loud bass music on, it's 9:40pm. I can hear it very loudly. I want to go to bed soon, as I work early tomorrow.

Ear phones do not block out the bass. This guy is loud frequently.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel and cath007 like this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Wahoo, someone else complained. I just know because buddy was on his balcony complaining "How unfair" it was that he had to turn it down.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

poor guy
    matrix82 and cath007 like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Gee, the loud music fan does not like headphones? Time for a hearing test offer to be slipped under his door (plus headphone offers in a Future Shop flyer) along with a note that some people need their rest to start well before 11pm so that they can safely operate machinery or move people the next day.

Otherwise, hint that he will get lots of extra people moving in to work on fixing his volume issues to the betterment of the building.
    matrix82 and cath007 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Had to talk with the super yesterday, I am beginning to think the guy does have hearing problems at the rip old age of 20-30 year olds. I couldn't take his video gaming, it was the bass from it. I could tell from my couch, which is about 10 feet away from the wall we share, that he was playing a racing game with explosions. When I went to do laundry I could hear the game from the elevator to his apartment which is a good distance away. She is going to talk with him about noise levels. Honestly if he could just turn off his subwoofer it would be fine, it is the bass the really travels. I couldn't watch my tv in the living room.

I live in a concrete building, so it takes a good amount of noise for it to travel between apartments.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That sucks and I feel your pain. In the summer there is a person in the neighborhood right next to ours that plays their music loud enough that we can hear it 1 block away. I can't go outside and sit peacefully in my backyard without hearing their annoying music and bass. I probably wouldn't mind if it happened once in a while, but not every weekend! I can still hear and feel the bass when I'm in my home...grrrrrrr. Complaints have been made and it seems to be getting better.. for now anyway.

Some people just don't have any respect for others.
    Last edited by colourcube; Tue, Oct 9th, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
    matrix82 likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:22 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Try talking to him before filing a complaint. Then if it persist go to the landlord.
    BD Williams
    Insurance Agent Extraordinaire
    car insurance canada
    car insurance ontario

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Ah, noise complaints...one of the many issues with multi-unit dwellings.

Your local municipality's website will (or should) have the relevant code / by-law posted somewhere. I have complained to many neighbours over the six years I've been in my current building. A lot of the time they were really honestly clueless as to how far / much the noise traveled; they were just having a party, not trying to make my life a living hell (hearing disability, long annoying story).

Call your landlord by all means, and follow up in writing with the building management. Keep detailed notes of dates, times, and durations, plus actions taken, if any (it may make for better neighbourly relations to speak to him first - assuming you can be heard knocking on the door to get his attention! - but you are under no obligation to do so. I would suggest trying it that way if you're comfortable with it though). Call the cops (non-emergency line) if it continues after 11 p.m.

The fastest way to get the landlord off his ass will be to make repeated written complaints (about separate incidents) and then mention (after, say, the fourth letter) wanting to discuss a rental rebate for loss of quiet enjoyment.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It's been a constant problem since moving in. Tried knocking on the door, but the person does not answer, so not sure how I can talk to him since he refuses to answer the door.
    Use this link

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:44 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I usually just phone the super whenever the noise has been going on for awhile and it's annoying. I try to keep track of when the noise started and when it ended. When you have written documentation of noise issues, then it's helpful for complaints. On the other hand, be aware of the noise that you yourself make. Sometimes, without even realizing it, we can make noises that other people in the building find annoying too.
    tobiwobi likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Wahoo, someone else complained. I just know because buddy was on his balcony complaining "How unfair" it was that he had to turn it down.

quietly plays world's smallest violin...
    matrix82 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I had to complain about loud lovemaking once it just got too crazy, and poor people who actually have children on my floor, I would be mortified if I had kids. So I had it one night. The super actually went to their door and was like 'we heard shouting and crying and things being thrown and wanna make sure that everyone is ok in there' lol

If you have a good, professional super, they wouldn't be like 'this guy complained', they would say something like 'we have heard or the neighbours have heard', they wouldn't put you on the spot.
    matrix82 and secheltsaver like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I talked with the super, and I think that they have had repeated issues with this person. They told me to inform them anytime of day or night that there is excessive noise, as they have had a few people complain about this individual. It makes me feel a bit better that it isn't just me having noise issues with this person.
    Use this link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information