User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Your City Deals Scam $49 for $100 GC Discussion

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

1 BBB complaint is not uncommon at all
    glenglen likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    1 BBB complaint is not uncommon at all
    I was gonna say! Groupon has 547 complaints and I seriously doubt anyone here is questioning their legitimacy.

When my wife and I get our gift cards, I will take a photograph in a couple of weeks and update the thread so that if other deals from this company come along, we can all benefit from them. I understand the pessimism for this; it's kinda ridiculous. I only jumped because I have used this service before for restaurant deals and am not concerned, but I DEFINITELY get the position of most of you.

In the event I get screwed, I'll be first here to holler as well.
    glenglen likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

However, they removed all comments from FB and the group buy page
    It is not affiliated with Petro which means they went out and bought 3000+ GCs to sell 1/2 price? and other sites are sending emails saying they are not affiliated with them
    Sounds very fishy.... deal55 anyone?
    glenglen, uanoor, Natalka and 1 others like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Also, they would have your mailing addy from signup/billing
    sounds like a way for them to get around the paypal agreement. They are "selling" a voucher code, which they provide - the rest of the transaction is done after and outside of paypal's control
    glenglen likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Paypal is great for honest people, but there are lots of crooks out there - so beware. My brother was selling his motorcycle on Kijiji and was offered full price by someone who wanted to pay thru Paypal and send their "agent" to pick up the bike. My brother called Paypal for their advice, and was told it was a huge SCAM - these crooks use their credit card thru Paypal, pick up the merchandise, then notify their credit card company to cancel the transaction and Paypal refunds the credit card company. So the merchandise you sold is gone, you have not been paid for it and there is nothing Paypal can do at that point. Be careful!
    glenglen and FallenPixels like this.

Trading Score
    387 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mungi View Post
    Paypal is great for honest people, but there are lots of crooks out there - so beware. My brother was selling his motorcycle on Kijiji and was offered full price by someone who wanted to pay thru Paypal and send their "agent" to pick up the bike. My brother called Paypal for their advice, and was told it was a huge SCAM - these crooks use their credit card thru Paypal, pick up the merchandise, then notify their credit card company to cancel the transaction and Paypal refunds the credit card company. So the merchandise you sold is gone, you have not been paid for it and there is nothing Paypal can do at that point. Be careful!
    ahh thanks! We've been selling my boyfriend's motorcycle online and have had three different people say this! Called paypal and they told me it was legit and to go ahead with it!!!!! I still thought it was fishy so I told them cash upfront and noone responded back!

Thanks for explaining how it works!
    glenglen likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I did some digging and this deal sounds very hinky. I get that they have tried to restart and may be using this to relaunch but this is what I have found.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserRe...s_Ontario.html

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.dealfind.com

http://www.torontosun.com/money/2011.../17670166.html

http://forum.kijiji.ca/about6818032.html
    glenglen and Snow In Summer like this.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Sounds very fishy.
    glenglen likes this.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I found this:
    glenglen and hcao like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscfgb View Post
    I was gonna say! Groupon has 547 complaints and I seriously doubt anyone here is questioning their legitimacy.

When my wife and I get our gift cards, I will take a photograph in a couple of weeks and update the thread so that if other deals from this company come along, we can all benefit from them. I understand the pessimism for this; it's kinda ridiculous. I only jumped because I have used this service before for restaurant deals and am not concerned, but I DEFINITELY get the position of most of you.

In the event I get screwed, I'll be first here to holler as well.
    Chris, you better start hollering NOW!!! They re-launched with totally new owners/management, it's not the YourCityDeals of old and from what I heard, the new owners are not in good standing in all aspects of business. I'm giving you solid advice here by saying, call your CC and get a refund now or say good bye to your money.

dobbsie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Paypal has buyer protection. I have used it many times with ebay purchases and it works very well. Credit cards also protect the buyer. Paypal and credit cards can reverse a charge against the seller at any time. This site has said numerous times that they are not affiliated with petro and that they have a limited supply of gift cards and may sell out. They have purchased the cards (a writeoff for a company) and will sell discounted to gain future business. Not hard to figure out. The company has answered questions on their site but it was becoming overwhelming with the same questions being asked numerous times. They are stil answering questions on facebook and have provided a phone #. Ill also post photos when I get them.
    glenglen likes this.
    ING Thrive Account- Use orange key 35088302S1 when signing up to get $50

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'll be honest; reading around on other websites along with this one HAS raised my eyebrows and has me concerned.

I decided to do some digging I haven't seen done; they have another deal on their website. $25 for Silver City Pizza.

I called the phone number, I was greeted. I asked if he knew about the deal; he passed me to his owner who told me point blank "yes, 2 large pizzas, wings, pop - you can't get a better deal than this". I thanked him and told him I'd look into it.

So I'm willing to bet the pizza deal is legit; the restaurant does exist (I've driven past it, it's new but it's there) - but that's a small volume affair. It doesn't answer the question about the gas cards, but at least it means they HAVE created (at least one) deal outside of the gas card.

Stay tuned.
    glenglen likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The problem with paypal is the way they have set it up, you are buying a voucher code (which they do supply and uphold the paypal agreement). You then have a separate agreement with the company to email that for the GC to be mailed.
    If they provided the GC directly as groupon and wagjag do, I might have a different opinion
    glenglen likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Has anyone tried calling Petro?? It's such as huge deal on the site now that everyone's talking about it. Would they be able to verify anything for us??
    glenglen likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i can`t find ANY contact info on the website. the only way to contact is a form for e-mail, no mailing address or anything.......it`ll kill me to find out this deal is legit but i just can`t bring myself to sign up for it.

I thought about calling petro but think im giving up at this point.
    good luck to everyone that signed up
    glenglen likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information