• 5 Post By SassyAshley
  • 1 Post By jasperandchar
  • 3 Post By Lavender Lady
  • 3 Post By shop til I drop

Thread: Extreme Couponing in Canada

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everybody I have been watching extreme couponing on TV with much interest and of course it has sparted tons of questions

1 are hauls like they have in the Us practical in Canada
    2 How do the Stores (managers ,cashiers, other shoppers etc attitude about couponing in general )
    3 what is your biggest haul Actual Amount xx the amount you actually paid using couponing

any other tidbits of information you think i would find helpful
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart
    Last edited by Keelenorth; Sat, Dec 29th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Oh no....now you've opened the can of worms! Couponers LOVE talking about their brags!!! We'll be typing for hours and hours....rofl!!

Here's my two cents...

The big hauls on TV are ridiculous...really, how does anyone need 300 packages of TicTacs....but I do stockpile. If it's a great price I get enough to last a whole year or until the package expiry date. I love showing my friends all the items in my basement!

Stores vary on their perception of coupons...in fact, cashiers vary...some sigh painfully when I pull out my coupons...some get excited and want to know more! I regularly have to tell cashiers their store coupon policy and what the wording on the coupons actually means.

I don't do big hauls...but I save all year long. My grocery bill used to be about $150/week and now it's under $50/week (and that's including all the expensive stuff like laundry soap, TP and items where there aren't many coupons like vegetables, milk). I can honestly say I haven't paid for a few things for a long time....like yogurt, dishwasher soap, face cream! and I reguarly pay 50-75% less then the regular price on most items.

The taxes in Canada make a huge difference, the item can be almost free but that dang tax adds up fast so even with stacking you end up paying something for items (like the awesome Dove stacks..../sigh ....I'm still fondling all my shampoo).

I think the most interesting thing about most couponers here is that we're SMART! It's not easy getting these great deals, it takes time and work and alot of brain power. We know our prices, we are able to do astoundingly quick math at the store....3/$4.00 with a $1.00 wub 2 coupons...no problem. We help each other with suggestions and we share great ideas, it's a great community. What is also missed by most people who think that couponers are sillly is the generosity of most of us. We donote LOADS of free items to local food banks, charities and in need families.

Couponing isn't just about saving it's also about the challenge and the fun. I've met the best people couponing and had the best laughs. When I think of all the other "hobbies" I could have...none other even come close (unless they had a chocolate tasting hobbie...I could get into that)!

J

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I know of quite a few people who have watched extreme couponers and than become discouraged. I once read an article (I think it was the Toronto Star but I could be wrong, I know it was a paper sitting on my Dad's coffee table) that went on to tell how this show is not realistic. A few of the couponer featured on the show have admitted that the production staff from the stores will go and speak to the stores before hand and that coupon policies are "bent/stretched" for the drama of the show. In a lot of cases they will be allowed to double more coupons than their policies normally allow or they will be allowed to double coupons that normally cannot be doubled. Also in some cases the couponers on the show are not always truthful, since in the US you can scan coupons some of the couponers on the show know how to use the UPC codes to actually purchase the "wrong" product. I am not sure how this works since coupons do not scan in Canada but in the article they said that if they can find the right UPC codes they will actually purchase "the wrong item" because of the UPC they will buy smaller packages which the coupon states the product is not valid on but some how in scanning the coupons they can do it. I have also heard people say in a different article that if you watch closely they will actual double scan coupons to give higher savings.

I think like more reality shows you have to look at how "real" they really are. at the end of the day the shows are all about the drama and although they are reality shows producers help things along.

I think in general as couponing has gotten more popular it has become more difficult. I have only been "extreme" couponing for about a year but within this year alone I have seen many changes in stores limiting coupons and price matching and wording on coupons has changed. Not sure if the US is the same but here most coupons do not allow you to use them on the smaller packaging which eliminates the possibilities to get items for free. Not to mention I have to question do there coupons limit one coupon per customer like some of ours do, I know there have been weeks I have had to take someone shopping with me just because I needed 2 of an item (usually 2 different flavours) and the coupon said 1 coupon per customer. For me I live in a smaller town and if the item is not on sale at one of our local grocery stores or is an item I can price match at our local store what I would spend on gas is not worth the savings I would get.

As for other peoples in the stores reactions to coupons I think it all depends on the store. I know some people say certain chains are harder to shop at but more so for me I find it goes from store to store not chain to chain. There are a few cashiers at my local No Frills which are amazing they know the coupon rules and now know me and even ask for my coupons and are surprised if I don't have any. I just happen to have gone to do my last haul for the year yesterday and going into it I knew it was going to be a long day as I was going to multiple stores as I really wanted to get some clearance deals. I had some great cashiers and some not so great cashiers. I am one of these people who every time I go into Suprestore a manager has to be called as go over what the cashier can enter in discounts. I have two Superstores somewhat close one of them I always have problems with they always try to reject my coupons and always have pricing issue in their stores and getting a SCOP there is almost impossible funny how many times they were just in the back to change the sign and will not honour it or they change the sign when the cashier calls so when the manager goes back to look the sigh has been changed. Our other Superstore is amazing the manager last night was telling me how much she loves coupons and is surprised more people don't use coupons, they were great and loved my high value coupons I was using. Shoppers Drugmart is the same our local one is amazing when it comes to coupons bu the location I have to go to to buy food items not so good they don't seem to like coupons even there own managers coupons I have had to them fight me on. Actually got so bad one day I walked out with nothing and contacted their head office and didn't go back to that store for about 6 months.

I think coupons are one of those things people either love them or hate them. I just wish at times a cashier will tell you before you start that they hate coupons because if someone said that I would happily move to another line and wait as I usually let people behind me with only a few items go before me as I know my check outs are not quick. But at the end of the day I will no stop couponing as the savings just from couponing have given me more room in my budget for other things.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I have been extreme couponing since I joined SC in early Feb of this year (2012), not quite a year, and I have a large stockpile, I donate frequently and do large donations throughout the year which I never would have been able to do without my hobby (that pays for it's self) couponing.

I believe in my coupon circle I am probably 1 of 2 of the most extreme when it comes to sales, pming and using coupons. Yesterday alone I saved $50.00 before taxes and only paid $38.00 for 40 items (like the used to be DOLLAR Stores - lol).

Couponing for me is a great and very rewarding hobby, I spend alot of my time throughout the day clipping, organizing my shopping trips, sharing my deals on my facebook page for West Carleton Coupon Groupa and I always like to share my knowledge and coupons with everyone.

Yesterday at FreschCo when purchasing or getting for free my Europes Best Veggies, I gave an elderly gentleman 5 coupons that equaled 5 free pkgs of veggies, he was very grateful and complimented me on my smart skills and thanked me many many times.

My family (dh, 2 sons) are completely on board with my savings, stockpile and reasoning behind putting certain purchases on hold for a while longer until a FANTASTIC sale comes along.

I think that the TLC's Extreme Couponing in the US is somewhat staged or organized because what stores have 900 rolls of paper towels in stock. I understand they get them for free and I don't pass judgement because if I had the room I would take them for free, HOWEVER, I would donate most of them because it would take a lifetime to use 900 rolls of paper towels and you need the room to store these.

My stockpile is impressive to me, I have 2 freezers that are jam packed, however, I know what I have in each freezer and I never throw anything out due to freezer burn, etc. I donate what I have a surplus of.

Couponing has changed our families dynamic allowing us to save so far over $2400.00 not including FPCs which this year I was blessed to received so many through trades, smart shopping and the tips from this site.

I adore my SC friends, new and old and could not imagine my life without coming here and reading peoples brags, rants, tips, flyers, etc...

I love coupons and saving $, I have reduced my grocery bill by over 60 percent which I am extremely proud of.
    knitting nurse likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jezz View Post
    Oh no....now you've opened the can of worms! Couponers LOVE talking about their brags!!! We'll be typing for hours and hours....rofl!!

Here's my two cents...

The big hauls on TV are ridiculous...really, how does anyone need 300 packages of TicTacs....but I do stockpile. If it's a great price I get enough to last a whole year or until the package expiry date. I love showing my friends all the items in my basement!

Stores vary on their perception of coupons...in fact, cashiers vary...some sigh painfully when I pull out my coupons...some get excited and want to know more! I regularly have to tell cashiers their store coupon policy and what the wording on the coupons actually means.

I don't do big hauls...but I save all year long. My grocery bill used to be about $150/week and now it's under $50/week (and that's including all the expensive stuff like laundry soap, TP and items where there aren't many coupons like vegetables, milk). I can honestly say I haven't paid for a few things for a long time....like yogurt, dishwasher soap, face cream! and I reguarly pay 50-75% less then the regular price on most items.

The taxes in Canada make a huge difference, the item can be almost free but that dang tax adds up fast so even with stacking you end up paying something for items (like the awesome Dove stacks..../sigh ....I'm still fondling all my shampoo).

I think the most interesting thing about most couponers here is that we're SMART! It's not easy getting these great deals, it takes time and work and alot of brain power. We know our prices, we are able to do astoundingly quick math at the store....3/$4.00 with a $1.00 wub 2 coupons...no problem. We help each other with suggestions and we share great ideas, it's a great community. What is also missed by most people who think that couponers are sillly is the generosity of most of us. We donote LOADS of free items to local food banks, charities and in need families.

Couponing isn't just about saving it's also about the challenge and the fun. I've met the best people couponing and had the best laughs. When I think of all the other "hobbies" I could have...none other even come close (unless they had a chocolate tasting hobbie...I could get into that)!

J
    I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for a great explanation.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Beautiful heartfelt comments. I concur. Thanks for sharing!

New trade list
    Trading Score
    237 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender Lady View Post
    I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for a great explanation.
    I just want to thank all the sc'ers for being great and supportive to newbies, ppl in need, and taking the time to help out others who r not aware. Because of this community I was able to save money last year. I have been in remission less then a year but coupons have given me something to take my worries away. Sometimes we never get a thank you for our hard work. So I want to extended my thanks to each of u who madethis site what it is. Looking forward to 2013.
    DianneS, MillieH and Lavender Lady like this.

Thread Information