User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    I stockpile how much I can use before it goes bad. That's about it. I buy what I need and what I can use, so I don't really set a budget. I know that I can get stuff for free or extremely cheap, and most of the time I can buy 10 or 20 of something paying only tax or a little money and tax and spend about the same amount I would for one at regular price with no coupons.

We shop once a week, on Saturdays. We go out anyway so I just pack my coupons and off we go. I never make special trips to shop, but I'll ask my mom to stop at LD if she's right there anyway on occasion.

Lots of the time people are getting things for free, that's why they can buy them. They're not really spending much money.

Personally I don't just buy because I can, I buy because it's free and we don't have any of/a lot of that item. If we have 20 of something already we aren't getting more. It's funny you mention soap, because my mom is pleading with me to get more soap all the time. We have tons of irish spring but not much women's type soap, but we have tons of women's bodywash... we'll definitely try out one of each variety they have, what with the new body bars and stuff, but we're not getting 20 of each or anything. That's just too much.

Don't spend because you have the coupon, spend when it's truly a great deal.

EDIT: Also, for things that will NEVER EVER go bad like toothbrushes or swiffer dusters, stock up when you can. I stockpile as many as I can store, within reason of course. I'm sure I could find a place to put a thousand toothbrushes, but I'm not going to.

Thanks Chantel. By the way you and Bigbertha have the same avatar and I am getting confused....

Mario's best friendლ(ಠωಠლ MangoFruit's Avatar
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

You know, when I first started stock piling, I thought that I never had enough of any item, so I kept on buying more and more. However, after getting 4 or more of a single item, I was like... "wow, what's the point in getting so much, it's taking up so much room, and I don't want to use expire stuff. It's such a waste of money if I can't even use all of it."

Now a days, I don't buy as much as I use to (I use to do 1-2 shopping trips a week; but now, I do like 1 shopping trip every two-three weeks and it's much smaller than I use to). I normally buy stuff now a days for friend/family or I'll just donate it to people who need it (I donate to my schools student association food bank, since a lot of students attending university are poor and need supplies ).

Also, since I live in Vancouver, I have LD. I can stack at LD to get stuff at a really cheap price, so I don't see any point in stock piling too much because I can always just go to LD to get my supplies (I only have to pay for tax most of the time). My stock pile only consist of a year supply of toothbrush/toothpaste/body wash/etc (Pretty much non-perishable stuff)...
    I've gotten more than 300$ of gift cards. You can also do so by joining swagbucks:
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/MangoFruit
    Also, Start out with 25 points on SUPERPOINTS: http://superpoints.com/join/airujo

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I would just like to say this without coming across as a hag:

I really try to keep myself from becoming judgmental about other people's spending, or, shopping habits when reading the brags. When looking at other member's post brags, some of it may seem excessive; but, we don't always know much about their personal circumstances, or, what they plan to do with their purchases. (unless they state specifics). Personally, I don't have a lot of expendable cash and find it necessary to limit what I can buy every week. If I can some items for free, or extremely discounted prices I will do it. I share with my children, and some of their friends, because they are just young adults, starting out and with families of their own. I have also begun sharing with some of my neighbours, who I know live on a very tight budget. My own personal stock only consists of what I can easily store in two pantry cupboards and 3 shelves of a linen closet.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    Thanks Chantel. By the way you and Bigbertha have the same avatar and I am getting confused....
    Bigbertha is me I got my name changed because I found out that that name is associated with some not too nice things, so I just asked to have it changed to my plain old first name, which was taken by somebody who never actually used the account at the time I signed up.

I guess I need to make my sig bigger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hey great thread - i have cut down some what on my shopping -stockpile is at a great spot right now for only 3 of us- i just cleared out my deodorant(down to 3) and some bodywash -cause i am going to donate for easter or mothers day- i also give some stuff to my 2 grown kids when they come to visit- helps them out -daughter is getting married -so helps her out - if something is a really great deal - dont care how many i have -will buy more if it is next to free in price- yes everything will come around in sales -ex next week smart pasta is on for .99 cents again so muy last stockpile is at 12 boxes- so next week i will get 4 or 5 more with the coupons -yes dont buy something just because you have a coupon - unless you are trying it for the first time-plus our income is less so i am trying not to go overboard-need to pay off other bills

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

my couponing also goes in waves. I always coupon, but as life gets busy or i get broke, i go back to buying only the non stockpiled items.
    i too think its a waste to buy a bazillion deo. unless they are money makers , free is still not good enough sometimes as your still paying tax, which does ad up!
    right now the $2 off nivea coupon is a money maker on the $1 nivea creams at walmart so i will throw a few ( 1-3) of them in the cart just because i make about .75 cents each after tax.
    i find starting your stockpile is expensive if your not patient....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

WorkinMaMa, I started this site in November and it took me awhile to get the hang of it, and figure out like you what was too much or too little. So here are some suggestions:

1. Keep Records:
    - I have an spreadsheet of groceries and toiletries, what's regular price, what's a good sale price
    - use a permanent marker to mark containers to see how fast you go through a product. Then keep a 3 month/6 month supply (because sales cycle)
    2. Self-Check
    - If you see a good deal, that isn't free, Ask yourself do I really need that or do I just want the Deal, because it's always a better deal to keep money in your pocket.
    - It's O.K. not to use every coupon you have
    3. Get Organized
    - Get a coupon binder and bring it to the stores, in case something you need is on sale.

I found at first I was spending more money using coupons, because I was buying more stuff. Now I've got my small stockpiles and the weekly bill is starting to go down.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

Totally agree with all these comments. You seem to find your groove after the free high wears off. There is only so much room in a house no use being a hoarder.
    I have found that not having to pay(much) for household items like soap/shampoo/plastic bags leaves way more money for food or entertainment activities(with a coupon of course).

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

When I was new I was at the stores waaaay too much...almost every day. Now I've relaxed a tad and I go maybe 2 or 3 times. One day is spent "coupon shopping" and I don't spend any money. Friday I hit the stores for the deals before they are gone. Saturday we will go back if I want more of a certain thing.

My stockpile is huge, but within the limits of what we'll use before it expires. I don't budget for any of it because I only buy the very best deals that are free or almost free and I find that doesn't affect how much money we have at the end of the day very much.

I think it just takes a bit of time. I see some newbies posting brags that don't seem like very good deals to me now, but probably would have seemed awesome when I was new. You'll find that you judge each purchase more carefully later on once you relax a bit and you won't be spending as much!

Trading Score
    56 (92%)

I normally budget myself to 100.00 per week and that is my weekly groceries and building my stock ... I normally spend around 100.00 and get over 500-600 worth of stuff ... depending on which store I am going to I normally plan out each shop and only take enough cash for what I am getting no cards no extra ... and I normally try to spend under it if I can ... I pricematch a lot if a store only has one or two items im not going all the way there I will PM at walmart/zellers ... I used to spend 200 a week just on groceries and that was for one week no stock pile no toiletries nothing ... now I am getting all my weekly stuff, my toiletries and building a great stock pile for 100.00 a week it took me a few weeks of reading and then a few days planning and organizing to do my first shop but now it takes me 1/2 hour a week to sit find the deals organize my coupons into piles for each store and make my list. I am still new and still need to learn to master SDM points this will come with time ... I live in a 2-bedroom apartment in downtown toronto so our space is limited ... i have one huge closet as my stock area ... I also give lots away to my family and to my bf's friends when they come over ill bring them over to the closet and ask what they need lol ... just do what works for you and try to not use coupons on reg price items ... if you can wait for sales ... my motto its a piece of paper if its expiring and i cant get a deal ill leave it in the store because i wont pay full price - 0.50 for anything lol
    Last edited by candymom1; Wed, Apr 13th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEng View Post
    WorkinMaMa, I started this site in November and it took me awhile to get the hang of it, and figure out like you what was too much or too little. So here are some suggestions:

1. Keep Records:
    - I have an spreadsheet of groceries and toiletries, what's regular price, what's a good sale price
    - use a permanent marker to mark containers to see how fast you go through a product. Then keep a 3 month/6 month supply (because sales cycle)
    2. Self-Check
    - If you see a good deal, that isn't free, Ask yourself do I really need that or do I just want the Deal, because it's always a better deal to keep money in your pocket.
    - It's O.K. not to use every coupon you have
    3. Get Organized
    - Get a coupon binder and bring it to the stores, in case something you need is on sale.

I found at first I was spending more money using coupons, because I was buying more stuff. Now I've got my small stockpiles and the weekly bill is starting to go down.

This was great advice. I just started couponing and its beginning to get a little overwhelming...I want to get EVERY deal out there!!!

You're right- it's ok not to use every coupon, and it is a better deal to keep the money in your pocket.

I wonder if everyone goes through this when they first start couponing???

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just wanted to post about hoarding toothbrushes. I see you have a 2 year old. when my DS started preschool I swear he has brought home every single possible cold and flu. If you are supossed to throw out your toothbrush everytime you get sick I am averaging at least three a month since september. So where as I thought I had put away enough for my stash, in upcomming flu/cold seasons I will remember I need more.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moni0021 View Post
    I just wanted to post about hoarding toothbrushes. I see you have a 2 year old. when my DS started preschool I swear he has brought home every single possible cold and flu. If you are supossed to throw out your toothbrush everytime you get sick I am averaging at least three a month since september. So where as I thought I had put away enough for my stash, in upcomming flu/cold seasons I will remember I need more.
    You only need to throw out after a bacterial infection, not a virus!

"Once our bodies have been infected with a particular strain of virus, they develop antibodies to protect us from that virus and make the chances of contracting the same illness twice very low.

On the flip side, it is possible to re-infect yourself with bacteria. For example, strep throat caused by a colony of steptococcal bacteria might remain on your toothbrush to re-infect.

So as a general rule of thumb, a case of a runny, stuffy, or sniffly nose probably will not require a new toothbrush, but after contracting something more serious such as a bacterial infection, it's not a bad idea to swap brushes"
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I bought a citrus spray at a health food store, specifically for toothbrushes. I spray it on after brushing and keep everyone's toothbrushes separated. They get thrown away if there is one of those nasty stomach viruses going around.

Quote Originally Posted by moni0021 View Post

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would keep an extra stash of brushes around if I had a little one simply because things get dropped or knocked into toilets no amount of citrus spray will warrant me putting that back in my mouth, or letting my kid put it back in theirs! Even if the toilets are clean (especially if they're clean! I wouldn't want to put cleaning chemicals in my mouth) there's bound to be something gross in there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information