User Tag List

Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

How do you make vegetable stock???????

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

veggie stock is easy... take a big pot of boiling water and add in the ends of celery... i even pull apart the base and wash it and toss it in the pot... I toss in onions including the ends and skins... the skins give it a deep dark color as well and carrots... a clove of garlic, some bay leaves and if you like you can add in things like tomatoes or whatever else ... just nothing like broccoli cauliflower cabbage or other stinky veg. after it has boiled gently for a couple hours strain it through a fine mesh strainer and put it in jars 1 inch headspace in a pressure canner processed for 35 mins. You can save your leftover vegs from when you are chopping it up for dinners and just toss the ends in a bag in the freezer. It is totally possible to do this from scrap.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I forgot salt... you really have to salt the broth.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

I'm a total newb at canning. However, I started because Peavey Mart (in Saskatoon) had canning kits on for $5, so I bought two! And, I thought, what the heck, it's time to try something new!

So for my first canning project, I made a spicy crabapple jelly (about 6 weeks ago), which turned out AMAZING! This past week I made a Pomegranate-Habanero Jelly and a Chipotle Mango BBQ Sauce, both of which I am using for Xmas gifts for friends and family! Both the PomHab Jelly and the BBQ sauce turned out great!

Love all the canning picks and ideas! They are inspiring me to try different things. After I'm done finals this semester and on Xmas break, I may attempt some other canning projects!
    dagney, Lynn49, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

That is awesome couponier! I didn't post my beet ketchup but it worked very well... i put it in a sweet and sour meatball dish in the crockpot... the crockpot is a slow enough cook that it made the purple disappear and my daughter who is not allergic to tomato could not tell the difference..... I also made a cherry ketchup because i want to make a cherry jack bbq sauce... it is dang expensive to make at this time of the year... but the sauce will work well for making a bbq sauce. I have to try a plum ketchup before i dive into the cherry bbq sauce... and find a small bottle of jack daniels ... I have not been in a liquor store in so long I have no idea how small the bottles go.... soon there will be ribs in the smoker tho!!!
    Lynn49, macw1960 and SnowFlakey like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    That is awesome couponier! I didn't post my beet ketchup but it worked very well... i put it in a sweet and sour meatball dish in the crockpot... the crockpot is a slow enough cook that it made the purple disappear and my daughter who is not allergic to tomato could not tell the difference..... I also made a cherry ketchup because i want to make a cherry jack bbq sauce... it is dang expensive to make at this time of the year... but the sauce will work well for making a bbq sauce. I have to try a plum ketchup before i dive into the cherry bbq sauce... and find a small bottle of jack daniels ... I have not been in a liquor store in so long I have no idea how small the bottles go.... soon there will be ribs in the smoker tho!!!
    WOW! That sounds delicious! I wish there was a way to trade canning goods! Haha, I would totally love to try some of the things everyone has been canning.
    Lynn49 and macw1960 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi cheekysaver, have you taken a pressure canner gauge to a car radiator repair shop and had them test it for you?
    Lynn49, macw1960 and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    Hi cheekysaver, have you taken a pressure canner gauge to a car radiator repair shop and had them test it for you?
    That is a good question. No I do not get mine tested. When I got my pressure canner I bought a set of weights. I took off a 5lb weight and added on washers to get my regulator to 12-13lbs. I never need to worry about the gauge now and my pressure canner requires less babysitting. Here is the vid that shows how to do it.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

just bought a small jar of 'Ginger Jelly' and it is fabulous! any recipes out there? the ingredient list on this is apple juice, ginger, pectin, lemon juice. I've searched google, recipes plus, cooks etc and no luck. this is a clear jelly that tastes like ginger ale.Yum!
    Lynn49, macw1960, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

and on the same note...any tried and true experts at making Hopping FROG jam or Toe Jam? While in NY last weekend, we stopped at a PA Ductch food store and saw so many variations of jams and jellies but I wasn't entirely sure of what we could take home. I do wish that there was one comprehensive listing of cross-border shopping.
    Lynn49, macw1960 and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Sorry I am late. When it comes to ginger jelly there are a few recipes when you google it. Unfortunately I don't see one from a reliable canning source. Here is the weird part... frog jam, no problem! LOL
    http://www.pickyourown.org/FROG_jam_recipe.htm

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^I had to click the link to see what the ingredients for f.r.o.g. jam were figs, raspberry, orange and ginger! sounds delish.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hi, everyone! Oh, how I missed doing my canning last year after my accident! I still remember the sweet bread and butter pickles I made (and posted a pic on here) two years ago....that I absolutely must make again soon, now that BBQ season is here....yep, I put them on my burgers, lol. I made some apple chutney last week, but only one recipe, which made only enough to keep in the fridge. I processed mango chutney a few years ago, so I want to do that again.

Ohhhhhh....with my hubby's help, I can manage this, this summer!!

Cheekysaver, keep up the great work encouraging us and sharing your wonderful recipe ideas!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Tue, May 26th, 2015 at 03:14 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    Sorry I am late. When it comes to ginger jelly there are a few recipes when you google it. Unfortunately I don't see one from a reliable canning source. Here is the weird part... frog jam, no problem! LOL
    http://www.pickyourown.org/FROG_jam_recipe.htm
    Thanks cheekysaver! I discovered that site last night while browsing again. Looking to add some jalapenos to make it into Hoppin' FROG jam

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Hi Everyone,
    canning season starting again. time to get out all the jars, pots, etc. at out house. Need to make more mustard to start and the rhubarb is almost ready in the garden. Happy canning!

Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information