User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: I hate living across the street from a police station

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

I got a ticket this morning for "operating a vehicle while making use of a hand held device which is equipped with a telephone function."

I wasn't texting, or talking, I was turning on my music for my drive to work.

119$

3 demerits

not to mention the extra fine that will appear on my license renewal... probably another 110$

FML.

Someone cheer me up before I freak out. At least I have tomorrow's redemption to look forward to.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    strew, DaveP, sharkie and 1 others like this.
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

You could always fight it if you think it wasn't warranted.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Ouch! Well, think of it this way: it's an investment in their services in case you need their help one day . Was the officer cute at least ?
    i_forget, sharkie and barginb like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

I was too infuriated to even look at his face. I was subsequently late for work, and missed out on half an hours pay... so this ticket continues to cost me $.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Ouch! Well, think of it this way: it's an investment in their services in case you need their help one day . Was the officer cute at least ?
    sharkie and barginb like this.
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Were you parked on the side of the road by any chance? If so, this is on the SAAQ website...it might help.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/accide.../penalties.php
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm glad I looked back here again, didn't realize you put the amount of the ticket. In SK it's a $280 fine and 4 demerits.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, I read your thread title I was thinking that I would want to live across from a police station -- safer neighbourhood. Maybe they are doing a blitz for the holidays and are increasing their checks and fines. Guess what I am saying is that maybe it's not personal -- not against you.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Were you on the road and/or the vehicle moving? Or were you pulled over to the side (parked)? If the latter, then I would say you should NOT have been ticketed because the vehicle was not in operation and definitely fight it. You were doing the right thing.

If the former, then the officer is fully within his rights to pull you over and in fact, I am glad that he did. If you were on the road and/or the vehicle was moving, then you should be driving hands free.

As someone who has had friends and friends of friends seriously injured and killed due to distracted driving, I do not tolerate this. I don't care if you're texting, non-hands free calling, or changing your music you are using at least one of your hands (thus not hands-free) and had to have for at least a few seconds look down at the device. What if a child had run across the street at that moment? Would "but I was just turning on my music" really be an acceptable excuse? Would it was just a SECOND be an acceptable excuse? In the end, the actions and risks are the same whether it's music or text.

I also don't care if a lot of people do this (I see it everyday on my way to work). It is still illegal and dangerous. It makes me sick that drunk driving is not acceptable these days but distracted driving is. I hope in a few decades this mentality will change just like it did has somewhat for drunk driving. I'm glad laws have been put into place in many states and provinces....I only wish it was enforced MORE.
    Last edited by newbiesaver; Fri, Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

This is what happens when you live across from a police station. You have to be extra carful or you will get a ticket. Even if you do the smallest thing you will get one one.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

I wasn't texting. I was at a red light, and grabbed my phone to push play on my music. There were no cars in front of me, to the side of me, behind me, or anywhere. I was not putting anyone in danger. I was at the corner of my dead end street where no one drives, except for the cops pulling into their station.

I'm not contesting it, I'm totally in the wrong. From now on I'll use my Ipod for music since it doesn't have "a telephone function."

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

oh, and FYI:

I live in a big apartment and have had many scenerios where I have needed to call 911.

Living across from the station does not necessarily make them come quicker. I've waited way too long for them to come many times.
    sharkie likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ericaraina View Post
    From now on I'll use my Ipod for music since it doesn't have "a telephone function."
    I think you need to research the law a bit more....
    Last edited by Totter; Fri, Nov 30th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I've lived close to police stations in the past, and while not necessarily always the case, I've found that the neighbourhood with the police station is sometimes less favourable.
    sharkie likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That sucks. Glad you made it safe to work!
    sharkie and saveadollardiva like this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

The law says that if the device has a telephone or internet function than you can't use it while operating a vehicle. Doesn't say anything about GPS or ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Totter View Post
    I think you need to research the law a bit more....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information