User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Christmas Decorations, Cheap/Free??

micahsmom
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Hi all I was wondering what great idea's my fellow SC'ers had for holiday decorating without spending a fortune? I need help!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Smart Canucks is my fav
    RLF GTG points!!!!!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kdahl27

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Remember, a tree doesn't need as many decorations as we think.

After buying my first house, we bought a real tree, but didn't have much money for decorations, so I bought three boxes of those cheap shiny christmas ornaments, and then bought two spools of thin ribbon on sale that I cut into smaller pieces to make bows at the end of branches where they weren't any balls.

If you have any in your area, you could check out the craft and church sales that are popular at this time of year. Second, the dollar store is your friend; you can get lots there, cheap.

At a local craft show, I've been buying these Christmas ornaments made from old Christmas cards. That's one example of a DIY ornament, but I'm sure there are tons if you look. You can also buy styrofoam wreaths or cones and cover them with wrapped candy.

On Boxing Day, go out shopping for ornaments and buy the nice ornaments from Hallmark at 50% off.
    karissadahl and Darla like this.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

i forage for stuff like pinecones and pine and make wreaths and pinecone trees... my daughter and i even make those old fashioned popcorn garlands
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Value Village is a great place to get things, as well.
    krysta lynne likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I find that craft shows are among the most expensive place to buy decorations.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Nature!!!
    krysta lynne likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

i too agree with the idea of going to bazaars, yard sales, thrift stores. you can get a whole whack of stuff cheap! i bought a HUGE rubbermaid container of ornaments 2 summers ago..for $10. it was STUFFED. boxing day sales are also good for stocking up on new ornaments if you want something specific.. creativity also works.. fill in holes in tree with tulle... you can use popcorn on strings for an old fashioned look.
    also to give a different look, take large LARGE size ornaments and put them in the bottom of the tree to fill in large spaces.. then work your way up to the smallest sizes. hope that helps.
    krysta lynne likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    i forage for stuff like pinecones and pine and make wreaths and pinecone trees... my daughter and i even make those old fashioned popcorn garlands
    I think this is the best Idea. My sister and her daughter take a walk through the bush and make most of the outdoor decorations this way. When you drive up to her house. it looks so nice.
    She even does the ever green bowes under her porch lights with bows and glitter
    krysta lynne likes this.
    ARE YOU PART OF A PROBLEM OR PART OF THE SOLUTION BE A INFORMED SHOPPER

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    The local wild-life loved my pop-corn garlnads...
    Mia001, krysta lynne and Shirnette like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

I wait till January/February and wait till they are on clearance.
    janetta likes this.
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I like homemade decorations the best. There are recipes for making a dough that you can roll out and cut with cookie cutters. They make some pretty cool ornaments. You can string popcorn, but that takes a really long time. You can paint popsicle sticks with red and white to make them look like Santa or reindeer. Also just hanging candy canes looks nice.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i like to make an evegreen decoration for the doors ....i haven't done any though for a couple of year now but i hope to have time this year....i followed a course with my florist few years ago to learn how to do that

the base is a floral cage that you can have for around $10 at the florist ( you can re-use the same year after year, just need to change the moss)...then i use 3 differents evegreens branches and arrange them in a certain order, then you pick ribbons bows, some deco and you're done...if you put it outside no care needed...if you keep it inside, add a couple of ice cubes at the top every day to water and keep it fresh...

i love making them, it smell sooooo gooood !
    Last edited by Mia001; Sat, Dec 15th, 2012 at 01:43 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Searching inexpensive Christmas decorations does not have to be difficult. You just have to do some price shopping and look at customer reviews to get an idea of what others thought about the item you want to buy.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi, i am sure that going to bazaar is a great idea but if you want to save time then check out this website -
    and you can find many things online . Just google it...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is really hard most of the time Christmas is expensive because of that and it is hard to look for a cheaper price and if you see cheaper price you need to buy a lot which is the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information